Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always loved the 5.7 for being such an expandable power plant for racing but now this news makes for lots of fun with the 2009-2014 5.7 liter Challenger accepted in the American Sedan Road Race series. My mechanic Shawn was the 2013 regional champ in his Pontiac GTO 6.2 Liter and it is how i came to hear of it. No doubt the 5.7 liter with some upgrades will be a contender. No so sure about the weight issue to be competitive. Need to read the GCR manual to see what is allowed.

Anyway great news for the challenger that is now running in the trans am series in TA 2 with a tube chassis by Howe Racing, in TA 4 with its original unibody

I think a supercharged hellcat will be the next addition in the PWC race series (Pirelli World Challenge) to compete with the supercharged almost 1000 hp CTS-V

My dream is still to put a challenger in the TA1 series with a R5 block churning 850 hp

I could buy the engine now but I would need to sell my challenger to buy the chassis and start the project.

Not sure I want to let her go yet....

Go Challengers!!! The mighty king for strip and the road race track.

Time to make some history

ODP ImageUploadedByAG Free1465351489.563968.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have always enjoyed the fact you are campaigning a Challenger, defying the 'Challenger's can't road race' mantra. I will be following your exploits. Good luck to you.
Thank you;

i work on following the path that Joel Vandiver traced for us to follow with NASA AIX Series

Joel build a Challenger with spares and a left over body from the plant, building and repairing himself his 426 ci race engine with whatever parts he could afford and running cobra rims I am not even sure were 115 bolt patterned but most likely 114.3...lol

I get laughed at, at every track I go to; as much as I spanked contenders in Subaru and Lancers in HPDE 2, now running in D4 with roll caged BMW E46 specs, track ready Porsche GT3RS and Miata Turbos I get my ass handed over anytime and every time

I know my car staying street like it is now I will never run close to what they do but it is a great car to learn into because it is heavy, powerful, fatigues quickly even in heavy modified street config,,,,

.... so you need to be smooth, admirably being the slowest fastest car to make sure to finish a session without getting limp mode. it is the worst car to learn road course driving as many instructors told me because of its huge weight and power, but damn we all agree it is fun and when you start to tame the beast with the right trail braking and weight balancing, people need to watch out their rear view mirror

I ran last track without ABS and Traction control and not having ABS sent me back to my first days of track; my ego got a good one;

I might have graduated Skip Barber racing school but driving a stock Challenger to its limit without ABS and Traction control sent me back a couple of years....ooops....

Thank you for the words of support but frankly the path to get this vision of a TA1 Challenger I have is far from being crystal clear

,,,but my life depends on it so I will find a way to put a Challenger in TA1

....because I know a Mopar R5 block (SCCA won't accept the newer R6 because too competitive...) will be an everyday PITA to a SB2.2 block and other Ford engines

most likely the Chevy RO7 newer race block, when it comes around in Trans Am will be a match for the R6, but then R6 will be so difficult to find that Mopar will be officially out of any road race competition with these blocks

there are a few Mopar R blocks out there but there are going to Australia for speed boat racing and other sea endeavors; to me that's a shame...

Keep well

ODP

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for anyone interested in the SCCA Road Racing General Competition Rules, the latest for June 2016 can be found here:

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/015/134/GCR-_Updated_June_2016.pdf?1464386426

this is a great way to get familiar with the many series of SCCA where you can see all of it here:

SCCA Pro Racing

if I had the cash I would be already in Formulalite as the car is just a beautiful open wheel vehicle; we can ***** about Honda all day but they do sponsor some interesting programs

happy racing everyone!

ODP

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think if Bentley can make a track come-back so can we :)
completely agreed and this is why I have put forth the idea of an Hellcat in the Pirelli World Challenger as superchargers are allowed in this category and heavy modifications of the body with carbon fiber is also part of the series, running ceramic brakes which are now avaialble from RB for the Hellcat and SRT8.

the cost of PWC is astronomically expensive; Todd Napieralski running TA4 camaro was sharing that PWC has high budgets hence his move to the TA4 series;

it would take some serious Mopar lover to invest 250k in a car, plus another 200 to 250k of running costs at minimum; this is half a million for having fun and running a new platform never heard before on the PWC series; people get into that kind of money to win; the hellcat is not a proven car but so Bentley etc...

the GT class is for professional drivers and the GTA class is for drivers who do not make a living of racing.

in any case the rear output is 525 to 600 hp at the wheel on a considerably lightened chassis

traction control, and ABS is allowed in these series

another series that is getting out of hand in costs is TA2 as it got so popular with challengers ran by Andretti and Miller Motorsports some them sponsored by Speedlogix; even Cameron ran with difficulties being funded; not an easy feat to move around series in racing; I am sure Cameron wanted to try something new but funded needs to be a status in order to get in;

this is huge PR work to get things done to get money; what else is new

for my part I hung up the phone with a blogger and got to know this GT1/TA challenger is likely for sale; it is currently ran by Jeff Hinkle an amateur racer

I also got 2 chassis builders so working on getting pricing for rollers or even decade old chassis so I can put an R5 in it

also found the company that has the dodge challenger composite mold for the TA/GT1 series approved by SCCA

so 15k for the engine, 18k for the composite body, may be 25k for a roller...if I am super dumb lucky or order just the chassis and mount suspension, rear diff and trans as I can make it happen

I think crowd funding is coming next.... lol

ODP

video of the challenger driven by Jeff Hinkle at Road Atlanta, check his channel for the VIR video as well

he is reaching 180 mph in no time and you can tell he is taming that R5 block like he can because that 850hp comes to your ass real quick like NOW.... lethal car

he runs a 4 H pattern trans, 1st gear runs to 80, 2nd to 120, 3 to 160, 4th to 180/200 mph depending on the gear on the rear axle

all pinions and gears come out for each race to match the track and maximize lap time... if you can afford the mechanic and the gears/pinions of course....lol

ODP

·
Registered
523 Posts
Fascinating video. I had to watch the whole thing. Felt like a symphony between driver, car and track. Caught myself tensing up a lot :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts