Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 2011 Challenger has cloth seats - Is it hard to Scotchguard them myself using the an aerosol can of Scothguard?
Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
990 Posts
Nope.... I used 2 cans. Sprayed on 1 coat and let dry for 1/2 day. Repeat the process until you have what you want. I still have most of 1 can left.

I also used a can of Carpet Scotch Guard on the carpet and trunk liner.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
....quite easy as Hemi mentioned. You just need to clean thouroughly (I use a brush as I vacuum) prior to application and allow enough time for the product to dry. ....just follow the directions. I did my wife's car (she has fabric seats) in about half a day.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I should I pick up a few cans then.
How do you know when you have enough on? Does it make the seats a slightly darker colour? Should I be worried about over-spray?
Thanks again,
Richard

·
Registered
990 Posts
OK, I should I pick up a few cans then.
How do you know when you have enough on? Does it make the seats a slightly darker colour? Should I be worried about over-spray?
Thanks again,
Richard
Start with 1 can of Fabric and 1 can of Carpet. Spray like your painting with a rattle can. Light even coats. Allow it to completely dry before recoating... Leave the doors open. As for over spray I use a piece of cardboard as a sheild and wipe any other off with a micro fiber colth.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Start with 1 can of Fabric and 1 can of Carpet. Spray like your painting with a rattle can. Light even coats. Allow it to completely dry before recoating... Leave the doors open. As for over spray I use a piece of cardboard as a sheild and wipe any other off with a micro fiber colth.
....I used a similar method as Hemi57 from what I remember (it's been about 4 years since I last used Scotchgard). I just followed up with a damp cloth to address any overspray as I went and did a final wipedown of the surrounding plastics once done. I kept all of the doors/windows open to allow adequate ventilation and I also wore a respirator. Although I know Scotchgard no longer contains PFOS that got it yanked off the market for reformulation years back, I still wear a respirator for such things. ....it just isn't worth exposing yourself like that especially when the precaution is simple.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts