Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My experience with Scott Robinson Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Torrance, CA, has ranged from hesitant to poor. In summary, I had several run's in with them.

In general, they come off as disinterested in products not on their lot. Perhaps it's because I'm a Dodge enthusiast, but if your lively-hood depends on getting people excited about your product, I expect you to be excited about it. The 100th Anniversary Challengers were first announced last November on Dodge's Facebook page. Information on them was limited, so I went down to see if the dealership had any "inside" information. They didn't even know what I was talking about. :indifferent: So, I guess their sales guys don't follow their own company's Facebook page.

I don't know if it was then, or another time. But once they had a used Ralleye Redline. It had several dings and scratches on it, and one of the rims had curbrash. They were asking $2000.00 under MSRP on a brand new Ralleye Redline. When I questioned why a few years old car with some noticeable blemishes was priced so high, they had a convoluted answer like, That's what my computer told me to price it at. :huh:

This past Tuesday, a buddy of mine noticed they had an 2015 SXT+. Since this is what I'm ordering, I wanted to go drive it. I wanted to see how it drove, how comfortable the leather was, and how the backup camera/sensors worked.

Around 5:00pm, I called them to insure they had it on the lot. :phone: The first thing the said was "Can I have your name and number incase we get disconnected?" Once I gave it to him, he said, "I'll check and call you back." Why not just say that? If you have to go look it up and need to call me back, say that. Don't give me your "line" to get my info, just be upfront. I'm an adult. I can handle it. :bang:

The internet sales manager, Omar, called me back within minutes. He confirmed that the vehicle came off the truck that morning and was still sitting in storage. I said, "Great. I want to come by and drive it. I'll be there around 8:00pm to see if it's what I want to buy."

So, me and my buddy drove down there arriving around 8:15pm. Well, Omar was no where to be found. No big deal with that. When they were able to track him down, he asked one of his sales guys to pull it out of storage. The sales guy left to go get the key, and returned with these three cheap cardboard boxes full of car keys and said with an attitude to his boss, "See, they're not here."

Eventually, Omar had to leave with the guy to go find the key. After about five to ten minutes, they found the key. Then the sales guy went over to his storage to get the car. And another ten to twenty minutes past. :rolleyes: (I'm using large ranges because I wasn't actually watching the clock. Me and my buddy were just looking at the cars in the show room and talking about incompetent these people were. This is only how long it felt.)

Finally, the sales guy returned with the car. And we went for a drive. And it was awesome!!! :eusa_dance: I'm so going to be happy with the SXT+. But I digress.

During this test drive, my experience with this dealer went from cold indifference to never going to get my business. And it came when the sales guy was telling me how awesome the 3.6 V6 with an A8 compared to the V8's. And then he said that the car has the same pickup and go as the 6.2 V6 with M6. Yeah, I don't have to know a lot about cars to call :icon_bs: on that.

After we returned to the dealership, the sales guy let me backup the car so I could test the sensors and camera. The sales guy then told me if I get the "Blindspot Monitor" option, it will incorporate that into the parking assist. Having not heard that before, I started asking questions about how it would work. :scratchhead: And I could not get a straight answer about how they work together with parking.

So, in summary, while not all my interactions with them would have directly resulted in a sale on the spot. I was shopping for a good dealer as much as a car. I want a good price, but I also want to speak with people who are honest and upfront with me. And considering I live in a market where there are other dealers within a decent driving distance, I feel my time and money may be best spent elsewhere. :disappointed:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Honestly, that doesn't sound that bad, heard of and experienced worse. You probably just caught them at a bad time, or they didn't peg you as a serious buyer. It's a free market, you are free to move on to the competition. Be aware that it may have just been a miscommunication, overworked staff, or just a bad salesman that you encountered. Not every salesman is an enthusiast, and not every experience is perfect.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Were you planning to buy there or were you just there to waste the time of people who work for commission?
This last time I did tell them from the jump I wasn't buying. I told them I want an SXT+ with the Super Track Pack among the other things. This was merely going to be my first try behind the wheel to make sure it's the car I want. And I told him that if he's gets the car in with the options I want, to call me.

My previous encounters with them would have constituted a sale, especially the used Ralleye Redline. I even got an insurance quote. But the starting number was so high, I knew I would never talk them down to a "sensible" price for a used car.

Honestly, that doesn't sound that bad, heard of and experienced worse. You probably just caught them at a bad time, or they didn't peg you as a serious buyer. It's a free market, you are free to move on to the competition. Be aware that it may have just been a miscommunication, overworked staff, or just a bad salesman that you encountered. Not every salesman is an enthusiast, and not every experience is perfect.
It's not. Perhaps I should have done it more as a warning with less commentary. Maybe I'll edit it down to be more concise after I give it some more thought.

But this is LA and there's lots of dealers around. This one I happened to have several run ins over a long period of time, largely because it's fairly close to me. But, after this guy tried telling me the "new" V6 was as good as the second top V8, all because of the "new" 8 speed transmission, and since no one else had done a review of this dealer, I decided to document my thoughts and experiences.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This last time I did tell them from the jump I wasn't buying. I told them I want an SXT+ with the Super Track Pack among the other things. This was merely going to be my first try behind the wheel to make sure it's the car I want. And I told him that if he's gets the car in with the options I want, to call me.

My previous encounters with them would have constituted a sale, especially the used Ralleye Redline. I even got an insurance quote. But the starting number was so high, I knew I would never talk them down to a "sensible" price for a used car.
I wouldn't have expected better treatment, since you were just wasting their time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't have expected better treatment, since you were just wasting their time.
Well, that's beauty of online reviews, whether here or Amazon or anywhere else. People get to share their experiences, and the next potential customers can decide if that experience is limited to a specific case or a general attitude. I don't have to buy a car and get screwed over the deal, or be treated rudely by the staff, just to make a few negative comments. This is simply my opinion based on several interactions over the period of a year. One review is never the be-all-end-all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts