Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looks like a lot of it can be buffed. Is it down to the plastic?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hard to tell with reflections but contours look good so maybe just traded some paint? A good microfine polish on a quality polisher and pad at low speed certainly worth a try. Come over and you can use any of my equipment for free.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the one distinct scratch near the bottom middle is down to the plastic.

Robroy, thanks for the offer! Ha. I think I'm pretty far away from you though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
maybe you could cover it?? have you seen that chrome bumper cover set?? i think that looks peretty good and would cover over 80% of all that.
search here for it i can get the stupid link to work.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Buff it down best as possible and see what scratches are to the plastic. Then touch those up with MOPAR touch up paint. Let that dry overnight, then buff the touch up paint to kinda blend it in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That happened to me with my last car in a Hooters parking lot. I had a g37s and someone with a trailer hitch backed right into my front bumper. It destroyed it!

In VA I was able to use my insurance company which did not register against me. I think it was called unisured motorist. I believe it was a $150 out of pocket for me. But since it was some statewide coverage it did not put a claim on my personal insurance policy. You may want to check in to it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Looks like 95% of that will buff out with just the one big scratch to fill in.

When we bought our sons Acura for him, the rear bumper looked worse than that. They took it to their own touch up guy in the body shop, and 20 minutes later it looked perfect.

I don't know how he did it, but you may want to start with checking dealerships and how they handle problems like this.

·
Premium Member
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
762 Posts
Did something very similar to my own, same spot too. Took it to a bodyshop, paid just under $50 and they buffed most of it smooth, for the slightly deeper scuff they suggested trying to fill it in with touch up paint, layer by layer. They said because the plastic is naturally black it'll work better on a black car than another colour would.

Trying it this week, if it works I'll post a pic, so you can decide if that's worth trying.

Their other option was a full replacement, way too much $$

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Dude! Bummer! Sorry! The same weekend as my damaged windshield I had a scrape on my bumper that I didn't even know about so I feel you pain. I'll post pics tomorrow. Yours doesn't look to deep from the photo?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts