Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning or 08 Challenger for 9 years; I finally scrapped a curb while going through the ATM at my bank. Not much damage, but more like a rash on the aluminum wheel. Any idea how to polish out the rash on the wheel ? Help.

·
Premium Member
9,353 Posts
It's best to have a wheel shop repair it to look like new. My daughter did front and back on her car and you can't tell them from the drivers side. $150 to dismount, repair, remount and balance, price may vary depending on where you're from. Ask around for a reputable shop.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,463 Posts
You can see some videos on YouTube to get an idea. Depends how deep the rash is as to what level of repair is needed. It is probably always best to take it to a pro since the wheel is valuable. Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Here's a great wheel repair video.
The man uses paint remover, then uses 120 grit on a dremel tool, (but you could probably get away with hand sanding) then hand sands with 400, 1000, and finally with 2000 grit sandpaper followed up by polishing with compound, a final clean w/alcohol and painting with clear. Has some great tricks and short cuts. Certainly not the only way to do it, but he certainly knows what he's doing. You didn't say if your wheel was painted or polished aluminum. I'm assuming painted. If this is the case, you'll need to match the paint color. This is not as easy as it may seem so be warned. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Gary

·
Registered
720 Posts
After owning or 08 Challenger for 9 years; I finally scrapped a curb while going through the ATM at my bank. Not much damage, but more like a rash on the aluminum wheel. Any idea how to polish out the rash on the wheel ? Help.
Do them yourself. I had one fixed when I bought my car in 2012 and it was $200.00. If it is just a scrape around the edge, easy fix, no power tools needed. Use 80 grit to sand out the gouges. Then hit it with 150 grit, and then scotchbrite. The spokes and edges on the Alcoa's are just clear coated aluminum. Mask off about a 4" x 4" area, make sure to cover the metallic silver painted areas. Grab some wheel clear coat at your local auto parts store. I buy index cards at the dollar store to mask the tire. Simply insert inside the rim and you are good to go. Spray 2 to 3 light coats, about 15 minutes apart. Let it dry about 1 hour and unmask. Good to go!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts