Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have a 2013 Challenger RT. It has about 50k miles. When I turn the wheel all the way to the right and I'm either backing out of a spot of going forward doing a tight right turn in the parking lot, I get, what I can only describe as, a loud rubbing noise. It's loud enough that people outside the car can hear it. *Cue all the head turns when backing into a spot at a car show. Not really how I want to get noticed. 馃 Dealer looked at it and said I have a leaking power steering gear on the right side which is somehow contributing to the sound. Pump maybe? They want $1200 to replace it. Took it to an independent mechanic for a second opinion. He couldn't find any sign of a leak. I also don't see anything in my garage floor. Also, not sure if it's related, there is a rattle in the front passenger side that I only hear going over small bumps/cracks in the road. Not sure if it's related. Thoughts?

Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
Be sure the wheel well liners are secure.

I have heard some rubbing noises when marking sharp but slow speed turns. It is from the brakes. The pads get a bit "sloppy" in the caliper and the wheel bearings have some "play" (but not enough to warrant replacement) and in a sharp turn at least one wheel's brake pads can touch the rotor. If you look at the car from the front with the wheels turned full lock you can see one wheel is tilted over a bit. A loose pad can move a bit and touch the rotor.

The rattle you hear could be something loose under the car or could be the wheel well lining -- which is why I suggested above you check for this -- but it could be just the normal sloppiness the pads develop over time. Some brakes come with "anti rattle" clips but these can wear or loose tension or even fail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts