Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After saying goodbye to family Christmas night, I was reaching for something in the car on the tight driveway, wasn't much space to open the door all the way. Had to crouch over, my pant pocket zipper on my pants scratched up the paint :/ I feel pretty dumb about it. Even if I close the door you'll still see it and it's going to bug me a lot. One thing for someone to damage my car, another if it's myself

I got the touchup paint from the dealer. Do you think it will be used for repairing? How much do you think this is gonna cost me to have someone one fix it? I'm thinking 200-300? Is that about right?

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Dang zippers. If it's just surface you should be able to make it not so noticeable with just color match paint and buffing but it looks like it is a fairly deep scratch in the picture and that will require a bit more prep work and paint if you have gone through the clear. If you want it completely restored to new that's where the cost will come as you will probably need a body shop to do that $$$$.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
762 Posts
The entire scratch appears to be white in color. My guess is the scratch is in the clear only and can be buffed out. The scratch is on a crown which means it is easy to cut through the clear into the color while attempting to repair. If you are not skilled at this type of repair take it to someone who is. Good luck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My GF ran the front of my Black Honda Civic into a curb and scuffed the plastic lower grill, scraped the black down to the white plastic underneath. I got a fat, medium, and fine tip black Sharpie markers and got under it and blacked out all the white.

It worked pretty good, but it's in an area that is not as noticeable.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
Try buffing it out with wax or scratch remover first. After a few attempts at that, if it's still there, I second the above suggestion...buy some Dr Colorchip and do it yourself. I fixed quite a few little nicks and chips with that stuff, easy to use, works great, and it was maybe $40-50. Best of all, no body shop to deal with.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't have a suggestion but wanted to say I'm sorry that it happened to you. I do stupid stuff all the time and know how you feel. Hang in there. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
Go to a high end body shop and ask for advice, it can’t hurt. My brother did that and they didn’t charge him but suggested buying the guy lunch or something. They are very comfortable and have the technique to achieve as good a result as you can. Good luck, wish you didn’t do that.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Easy way to check.

Gently pour water over the scratch area with a hose. If it disappears, it's just clear coat, if it doesn't you might have taken some of the base coat with you and reached the primer.

Either way, that area is a going to be a ***** to correct.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Rubbing compound and a little effort should bring the clear coat scratch around to a very minor aberration.

Been there. Done that. I feel your pain. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts