Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my White 392 since the end of Feb, but I am just now detailing it with Zanio. I noticed yesterday a scratch about 3 inches long on the truck. Is this something I address at a dealership (I purchased the car 2 hours from where I live), or do I try and fill it with scratch X?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Not sure once you leave dealer they will address anything. I would still try though. I had some small ones on mine not deep and used a tad of rubbing compound and scatch remover..then ZANIO and all is good cant even tell where it was now.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I've had my White 392 since the end of Feb, but I am just now detailing it with Zanio. I noticed yesterday a scratch about 3 inches long on the truck. Is this something I address at a dealership (I purchased the car 2 hours from where I live), or do I try and fill it with scratch X?
Unless you point cosmetic stuff out at delivery...forget dealer. Just get 3M Rubbing compound for light color cars.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried Scratch X already, and while this has worked in the past on a few scratches, it did not solve this one particular scratch.. Will rubbing compound work by hand, or should I use an orbital buffer?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Tried Scratch X already, and while this has worked in the past on a few scratches, it did not solve this one particular scratch.. Will rubbing compound work by hand, or should I use an orbital buffer?
3M RC & elbow grease.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My painter has told me to run my fingernail over the scratch, that if my fingernail hangs up when you go over the scratch it will need to be painted.

And yeah, you can try the dealer but chances are very very slim. Most will say that it happneed after the lot, which heck it could have. Nnever know what happens when you go into a store or something, but you may find one dealer who wants to earn your business so they take care of it. Those are few and far between though.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It depends.
If it is deep, nothing short of repainting will do.
If it is really shallow, rubbing compound, scratch-x and the like may answer the need.
If it is moderately deep, judicious application of 2000-3000 grit wet or dry,
followed by rubbing compound, scratch-x and another finer polish then wax.
NOT a good process for the faint of heart or uninitiated novice.

I've had good results using a small square of fresh and worn 2000 Grit
water/detail spray (rub very lightly), polishing compound > scratch X > Colorback > Zymol > wax

Check out Junkman2000 videos on youtube

Google 'paint repair' and learn as much as you can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts