Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
His name is Dan and goes by "THEONE" on the boards, here's a link to his profile; Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums - View Profile: THEONE

In this for sale thread, http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f17/f-s-stage-ii-procharger-46981/ , he's selling his Procharger supercharger, and a bunch of other stuff, as he was trading in his car to get a 392. Since I was looking at doing FI in the next couple of years and his set-up hadn't gotten any offers to buy, I started asking some questions in this thread and then moved it to PM's where we agreed to a deal, we also spoke on the phone.

Everything progressed as it should, including him calling me too say that he went to ship it and because it was all in one big box it would be $200+ and that he was going to break it down into several smaller boxes to save some shipping expense, which I thanked him for.

I kept in contact with him and also let him know early that I was ordering parts that would be needed for the install, some of them rather expensive, and to let me know when it would ship and how he wanted to receive the money.

Well that's the last I heard from him until push came to shove and after a week plus of not hearing anything I sent a PM inquiring about what was going on. You see, his profile was showing that he was logging in everyday, PM'ing members and commenting in threads but he wasn't returning any of mine. So he sent me a message stating that he had changed his mind and was going to keep it.

Well isn't that interesting news as we both gave our word and committed to a deal, and I already ordered parts for the system, which he was PM'd about well before the radio silence happened, and another member had been looking for a Stack Bullet CAI which I committed to sell him as it wouldn't be needed on my set-up anymore.

I attempted to reason with him that we had agreed to do business and based on our commitment I had made purchase decisions, that he was informed of, that would now cost me shipping, restocking fee's if any, and return shipping, but worst of all I would now have to break my word to another fellow member who agreed to purchase my Bullet CAI.

He again said sorry, he'd changed his mind and that he didn't tell me to go buy anything. I had to cancel my CAI sale to the other CT member, who was not at all happy and I don't blame him, and now have around $700 worth of stuff ordered that is going to cost me either way. I had also put another financial decision on hold due to this sale, again which he knew about when we agreed to commit to the deal, and now the opportunity to resurrect that has passed.

I thought for several days about whether I should post this or not as it's not something I like doing and is just plain uncomfortable. But in the end we're only as good as our word, both on this board, in our life and especially given what we do for a living. In the end his actions sticking me with financial losses and breaking his word was enough for me to call this out and make sure it doesn't happen to someone else on the board, as he's still on here and posting/selling.

I will post the PM's just below this so there can be no BS excuses offered by him if he so chooses to post in here. His last PM after telling me, sorry I changed my mind and didn't tell you to go buy anything and also asking what he could do too make it right.

Sorry Dan, but your word is worth squat after what you pulled and you should be embarrassed for asking anyone to trust you further after your behavior. Just wrong...

Justin

Point of clarification is in order here:
My deal to sell the Bullet CAI to the other form member was conditional on me receiving the supercharger and was clearly stated up front to the buyer, still sucks though. When it became available he could also pass on the CAI if anything had changed for him and I would just list it for sale on the forum, this all became irrelevant however due to THEONE reneging on the sale of his Procharger.

I thought I had followed the forum rules for posting PM's from a sale gone wrong (not posting any personal info such as addresses, phone #'s and email addy's) when I posted them below. After having read the general rules in another section I now realize that posting them is not allowed. My apologies for missing that one. THEONE's own posting later in this thread clearly state in his own words what he did anyway...

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
from your side of the story it sounds like theone is theonea**hole.
this messes with all the honest people who want to do deals.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
i disagree he changed his mind, he's allowed to do that.
he should have told you right away however, and you should'nt have bought stuff until you had the blower in your possesion.
internet deals are shaddy to say the least.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't agree with what you're doing. It's true, you didn't have to go out and buy the additional parts until you had the blower in your possession.

And he did say whether there was anything he could do to make it right...and you don't know what reasons he may have behind him changing his mind.

He may be a completely reliable buyer/seller, but just made one poor mistake with you, and now you're completely trashing his reputation.

Not a fair move IMO.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
i disagree he changed his mind, he's allowed to do that.
he should have told you right away however, and you should'nt have bought stuff until you had the blower in your possesion.
internet deals are shaddy to say the least.
internet deals are only shady when you deal with A-S like this one !

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Tuff deal there, I can see both sides but would have to side with you on this a deal is a deal in my book.

·
Registered
15 Posts
internet deals are only shady when you deal with ******** like this one !
This is why I don't agree with what the OP has done. From the messages posted, the two had a completely amicable discussion about the sale, and when the One changed his mind, he calmly explained it and asked whether there was anything he could do.

He didn't take any money from the OP, he didn't completely ignore the OP and refuse to answer him, instead he asked whether there was anything he could do to make it right.

The OP did not have to go and spend money before he had the product in his possession...

Instead the One is going to be ostracized from this community...

I would understand if this was a pattern, but from one deal to call out another member like this is just not fair, and little petulant actually..

·
Registered
460 Posts
Given the above story, it does not appear any money actually changed hands. While it may suck that someone changed their mind on the deal, IMO the deal isn't closed until money starts changing hands.

Sorry to hear the deal fell through, but I don't think THEONE deserves a trashed reputation over it. As for buying parts that you can't use now...well, I didn't even order a license plate frame until I had purchased my Challenger. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched and all that...

·
Registered
402 Posts
wtf would make somebody do that?! So... he was in the process of packing it... aaaaaannnnd.... OH - JUST KIDDIN'LAWL!!!11!1

I mean... he's uninstalled, cleaned, and is packing the f*#@ing thing in boxes!?

Something seems awfully fishy imo.

Though - there wasn't really a clear "SOLD" message.

Also, he seems to be fair, apologetic and sincere wondering what he can do to "make it right."

So, you've got all these parts, why not just ask for a kickback on a new blower from him.

One sided story is one sided though.

Love,

The Internet

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
You should not have bought additional parts untill you had the unit seeing and seeing that your not going to install it for a while BUT I totally agree that once you make a deal it should be followed thru. Like you my word is my commentent to doing what I have said. I have both bought and sold items to members and I pride my self in doing exactly what I say I will do Yes he has a right to change his mind but thats before he commits to a sale

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
it does not appear any money actually changed hands. While it may suck that someone changed their mind on the deal, IMO the deal isn't closed until money starts changing hands. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched and all that...

Sounds like Justin agrees with you 100% on that one! Right, Justin?

I would now have to break my word to another fellow member who agreed to purchase my Bullet CAI.

I had to cancel my CAI sale to the other CT member, who was not at all happy and I don't blame him....

But in the end we're only as good as our word... your word is worth squat after what you pulled and you should be embarrassed for asking anyone to trust you further after your behavior. Just wrong...

·
Registered
362 Posts
You both are breaking your words, theone for changing his mind and justin for not keeping his part of the bargain with the other CT member - who has nothing to do with the first sale.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This isn't meant to call him names and not really to even take sides, except to the extent you may want to do business with him and must measure his trust worthiness to do so, buyer beware sort of warning but with facts so speculation isn't needed.

Sorry but the deal was made and he clearly states that in the PM's, as well as me stating that I am moving forward with purchase plans, especially in light of Black Friday sales that were about to happen. The only reason money didn't change hands, and thank goodness it didn't, is that he thought the shipping was too high, otherwise a Paypal transaction, at his request on the phone, was next.

After submarining a deal that was all but shipped/paid, knowing the consequences his decisions would make for myself and others, ending your PM with trying to make it right, and going radio silence and not returning PM's, is more than a little hollow. What would that look like, ask him for money to cover the fee's? Wouldn't that require trusting someone again who had already proven untrustworthy?

Also to clarify a couple things based on earlier comments;
I didn't plan on waiting to install it, actually got the car up on blocks to start. I just wasn't thinking about supercharging for another couple of years, and his deal changed that to doing it now.

Also I'm not sure how many opportunities folks should have to prove their trustworthiness before deciding it's a "pattern" or something different in the face of any info that shows different.

Yes I'm glad money didn't change hands and this ones enough for me too decide that he is not someone I would do business with nor would I recommend others do. Of course that's for you to decide, which ever way you choose, if you choose at all...
Justin

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My deal to the other member was predicated on the CAI being removed from my car for the blower install which wouldn't happen until it arrived. Little bit of a stretch trying to find a moral equivalent in that one my friend...
You both are breaking your words, theone for changing his mind and justin for not keeping his part of the bargain with the other CT member - who has nothing to do with the first sale.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I can say a little wrongdoing on both sides here.

Buyer: No way you spend a cant buying something for a SC that you do not have yet. I understand how it is to be impatient as I am the king of that, but at least wait for tracking info if you cannot wait. If you did not buy anything, perhaps you would not be so angry about this.

Seller: Very shady to me. SC is removed already so obviously somehting is going on. Could someone of have offered him more? Maybe a local sale? Maybe someone told him he was selling too cheap? I think more along those lines.

I do agree that someones word should hold weight, but does it when you have no clue who they are? My work and reputation for keeping it is important to me, but not to everyone.

One more thing, the buyer for the CAI can make a post just like you did here. You had a deal with him, and broke it just like what was done to you. Of course I understand why you did it, but it does not matter to that buyer.......Ugly situation that went bad. Sorry for your "deal gone bad" I am sure you can find another deal somewhere, and still use your parts. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No way this guy did not sell it for more. If he did not, he would have said so! Still can say so now, but he won't! As far as buying before getting something, I would say all are correct and based upon what I read, I would have gone ahead because it all appeared to be on the up and up! We are all trying to save as much money as we can so we can spend more on our cars. Forum members like this, just ruin it for the honest ones.

I always think information is key so that we can all decide for ourselves. I want all of you saying two sides to this story to tell me that you would take this member by his word now that you know he did this! If you say YES, your full of it - so no way you can take his side if you would not take his word on a future deal!

my 2-cents for what its worth! All we have is our word - his garbage - IMO!!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My deal to the other member was predicated on the CAI being removed from my car for the blower install which wouldn't happen until it arrived. Little bit of a stretch trying to find a moral equivalent in that one my friend...
Respectfully, I am not sure the [former] CAI purchaser would see it that way.

·
Registered
736 Posts
No way this guy did not sell it for more. If he did not, he would have said so! Still can say so now, but he won't! As far as buying before getting something, I would say all are correct and based upon what I read, I would have gone ahead because it all appeared to be on the up and up! We are all trying to save as much money as we can so we can spend more on our cars. Forum members like this, just ruin it for the honest ones.

I always think information is key so that we can all decide for ourselves. I want all of you saying two sides to this story to tell me that you would take this member by his word now that you know he did this! If you say YES, your full of it - so no way you can take his side if you would not take his word on a future deal!

my 2-cents for what its worth! All we have is our word - his garbage - IMO!!!
Nor will the buyer of CAI take the OP's word for it.....I agree with a word is bond, but hard to take someone's word when you don't know them. Fortunately, I have never had to deal with anything like this before. But if I was buying the CAI, I would be just as mad.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.