Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you change the shift rpm setting of the 5-speed trans with the Predator? I am getting tired of the car upshifting too quick in traffic. Seems that at 30 mph at light throttle it will go to 5th gear. When you try to accelerate, it will bog, hesitate, then finally downshift. This makes the car feel gutless. Especially in stop-n-go traffic.

I know I can use the auto-stick and I do, but I am also lazy.:indifferent:

My Hemi 5 speed truck has a tow/haul switch that raises the shift points for the transmission for upshift and downshift. So, I know it should be possible...?

·
Registered
34 Posts
There wasn't exactly an option for shift points when I got my Predator, but you can change the firmness of shifts and it makes a BIG difference when using the autostick. You can also raise your rev limitters which to me seemed like it made the car shift higher... or it could have just been because I was pushing it harder and having some fun with it... ;-)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
There wasn't exactly an option for shift points when I got my Predator, but you can change the firmness of shifts and it makes a BIG difference when using the autostick. You can also raise your rev limitters which to me seemed like it made the car shift higher... or it could have just been because I was pushing it harder and having some fun with it... ;-)
It will only shift higher at WOT when you redline by raising the rev limiter.

You can't change stock shift points, the car is going to do what is best for itself, if you want to avoid the 1 second delay you'll have to use the autostick to down shift.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Your best option to gain what you want is the gear swap you've started another thread on, that has its drawbacks too though. Loss of MPG(not too severe, but you said you have a long comute so you may notice more than someone with a short one).

You said you didn't want the exhaust noise form driving at the higher RPM in your other thread too, that pretty much means do not increase your RPMs and don't swap the gear. There is no real way around it. You have to give a little to get a little.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crater,

As to the gear swap, the 3.06 change would increase the rpms about 150. The 3.64 and up would increase 600+ rpms. The noise starts to become "unbearable" at around 400+ rpms. I am just wondering if the shorter tires plus the 3.06 is a "good" compromise for "me".

Your best option to gain what you want is the gear swap you've started another thread on, that has its drawbacks too though. Loss of MPG(not too severe, but you said you have a long comute so you may notice more than someone with a short one).

You said you didn't want the exhaust noise form driving at the higher RPM in your other thread too, that pretty much means do not increase your RPMs and don't swap the gear. There is no real way around it. You have to give a little to get a little.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Can you change the shift rpm setting of the 5-speed trans with the Predator? I am getting tired of the car upshifting too quick in traffic. Seems that at 30 mph at light throttle it will go to 5th gear. When you try to accelerate, it will bog, hesitate, then finally downshift. This makes the car feel gutless. Especially in stop-n-go traffic.

I know I can use the auto-stick and I do, but I am also lazy.:indifferent:

My Hemi 5 speed truck has a tow/haul switch that raises the shift points for the transmission for upshift and downshift. So, I know it should be possible...?
Just put the car in the 3rd gear all time once you get in and start it. You will get killed on gas mileage, but you will avoid the up shifting until you get near the redline.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts