Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted some feedback on the positives and negatives in doing a Challenger SE engine swap and and supercharger versus a SRT8 engine build with a supercharger. Keeping in mind that the rwhp goal would be approx 800.

Challenger SRT8 = Low to mid $40's to purchase the car
Engine build,SC&extras(axels, fuel system upgrade, ect) = $20 to $30k

Challenger SE = Low to mid $20 to purchase the car
Unsure about a new engine? approx $14k? SC=$7k Labor ?? = $4k?
Extras??

Is it worth downgrading the car to save $$ at the end since the engine and lots of the components will be replaced? Obviously the SE would have the downgraded interior.

Thanks fellas,

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Really depends on your final goal.

There is a lot of stuff on the SRT that are not on the SE, I can't even get my head around all of them, but suspension, brakes, etc etc.

However, if you only want a 1/4 mile car, maybe it wouldnt be so bad.

All the computer stuff and drivetrain would need to be changed. So many things to think about.

What do you want to use the car for?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If you're looking for 800hp at the wheels, you have to go with the SRT to start. Honestly one of the biggest reasons would be the brakes. If you are going to that power, think of the speeds you could attain and how fast. and SE will never ever be able to reign in that surge of acceleration and then stop the car. Or even at the track. If you are going for 10's, you gotta have better brakes than the SE. You will find you are dumping money where you shouldn't have to. The fact that you are planning on dumping that kind of money into the project, I'd plan the extra 15K+ for the better foundation to start with.

It's been discussed, that's for certain, but the general outcome is it's way, way way more hassle that what the SRT is worth in cost over the SE. There will be so many hidden costs, I bet you would go over $$$-wise what getting the SRT would be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're looking for 800hp at the wheels, you have to go with the SRT to start. Honestly one of the biggest reasons would be the brakes. If you are going to that power, think of the speeds you could attain and how fast. and SE will never ever be able to reign in that surge of acceleration and then stop the car. Or even at the track. If you are going for 10's, you gotta have better brakes than the SE. You will find you are dumping money where you shouldn't have to. The fact that you are planning on dumping that kind of money into the project, I'd plan the extra 15K+ for the better foundation to start with.

It's been discussed, that's for certain, but the general outcome is it's way, way way more hassle that what the SRT is worth in cost over the SE. There will be so many hidden costs, I bet you would go over $$$-wise what getting the SRT would be.
Thanks for taking time out for this newbie and bring up points that I did not consider.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really depends on your final goal.

There is a lot of stuff on the SRT that are not on the SE, I can't even get my head around all of them, but suspension, brakes, etc etc.

However, if you only want a 1/4 mile car, maybe it wouldnt be so bad.

All the computer stuff and drivetrain would need to be changed. So many things to think about.

What do you want to use the car for?
Daily driver (3 or 4 times a week) and a track car several times a year.

·
Banned
664 Posts
Daily driver (3 or 4 times a week) and a track car several times a year.
The SE upgrade is just too much work. If you want tostart your build with a lower trim car? You should be weighing the difference between a 31k base RT or the 44K Srt. You will find this thread you started will slowly degrade into challenger class warfare as they always do. But look at what each car has to offer, decide what options are impotant to you for your final build? Then you will know which model you want. Engine obviously does not matter since you plan to upgrade either one. Do some research and good luck with your build.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I would give some thought to a R/T as it has the same Transmission and drive train as the SRT. For 800 RWHP you are going to need a Forged Motor. There are a number of places that can exchange your motor for a forged one along with installing a supercharger. I have a forged & stroked motor a Blower and about 600 RWHP. Be sure you talk to a couple of shops on what your goal is and then make your decision

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The SE upgrade is just too much work. If you want tostart your build with a lower trim car? You should be weighing the difference between a 31k base RT or the 44K Srt. You will find this thread you started will slowly degrade into challenger class warfare as they always do. But look at what each car has to offer, decide what options are impotant to you for your final build? Then you will know which model you want. Engine obviously does not matter since you plan to upgrade either one. Do some research and good luck with your build.
Definately an alternative to the SRT.

Having a 5.7L as a possible trade-in to a speed shop is always another ace up your sleeve, plus the cost savings of the R/T over the SRT. Still a bit concerned with the brakes, but I'm paranoid about that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts