Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SE performance upgrade = epic failure

it will be a busy weekend. i have to install a few performance pieces in my '09 SE. i'm pulling the 42RLE trans and installing a shift kit, custom built 3400 stall converter, and rewiring the trans shift range connector (in hopes for autostick). also will be adding JBA headers and high-flow cats. this is my daily driver, so i have to work long and hard to get it finished ASAP.

then, some custom tuning by Johan at DiabloSports.

this project ended up with a bang, clunk, clunk, pop, whineeeeeeee.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Have fun this weekend Tony...let us know how it comes out

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, everything is torn down. pulling the trans on this engine/trans combo was the hardest one i ever removed. i had to remove the entire cowl and the upper intake to get at the trans bolts. this engine and trans should just stay in the minivans only. that way you have access to the bolts.

the good part is the stock exhaust manifolds are easier to remove than on the hemis. tomorrow i will open up the trans and install a shift kit and rewire the TRS harness. install the high stall converter and get the trans back in.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just finished installing the shift kit. over two hours just on that alone. i don't recommend any trying this unless you have experience in rebuilding transmissions. these 42RLE transmissions are very complicated. i can't see anyone doing this with it still in the car.

now lunch...
then swap the converter and reinstall the trans.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i took a break from the car monday. i have the trans back in. i just need to install the dipstick, torque converter bolts and driveshaft bolts. i will get that done tonight.

then comes the header install.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Very ambitious Tony...are you a Dodge mechainic by trade?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i can say this about the header install. take the JBA gaskets and toss them. they are the biggest joke. they are just two pieces of felt glued to each side of a thin steel shim. these are guaranteed to burn away and leak. i just bought the stock Mopar header gaskets.

tonight, i finished the trans install and started installing the headers. right side is finished already. tomorrow, i will finish the other side and reinstall the mids.

then i have to reinstall the upper intake and complete cowl assembly. add and measure the trans fluid to complete the hardware part of this project. Johan will put the tune on.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i can say this about the header install. take the JBA gaskets and toss them. they are the biggest joke. they are just two pieces of felt glued to each side of a thin steel shim. these are guaranteed to burn away and leak. i just bought the stock Mopar header gaskets.

tonight, i finished the trans install and started installing the headers. right side is finished already. tomorrow, i will finish the other side and reinstall the mids.

then i have to reinstall the upper intake and complete cowl assembly. add and measure the trans fluid to complete the hardware part of this project. Johan will put the tune on.

All I can say is, sa-weet. That... is some serious tweekage.

How many hours would you say it takes total to do the headers?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just finish getting everything back together. i had two codes for low transmission fluid pressure and trans pressure sensor error. i am still setting the fluid level. it is taking a long time to get the trans temp up to read level. i will work on it tomorrow.

i have the fluid level closer now, cleared the two codes and they didn't come back. i worry about trans codes because i altered the pressure lines with the shift kit.

·
Registered
495 Posts
just finish getting everything back together. i had two codes for low transmission fluid pressure and trans pressure sensor error. i am still setting the fluid level. it is taking a long time to get the trans temp up to read level. i will work on it tomorrow.

i have the fluid level closer now, cleared the two codes and they didn't come back. i worry about trans codes because i altered the pressure lines with the shift kit.
Good call Tony. While you are likely very aware we often leave off the final designation of the 4 speed, 42RLE VLP with the VLP standing for variable line pressure. So the transmission may need to learn a few things after the shift kit, but the controller is adaptable. All sounds well, especially since the codes cleared.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay, i finally did a little testing today. had to be careful because it is snowing. the trans shift extremely quick and hard, too brutal for most people. i hope the 198mm differential holds up to those hits. i tried to do a full throttle run. i brake torqued it to 2500 and launched the car. it revved up so fast that i hit the rev limiter before it shifted. for some reason the shift kit also raised the shift points at WOT. this incident triggered the MIL lamp to come on. got two codes for the transmission. these code this time were for high fluid pressure.

initial testing doesn't look so good.

i will raise the rev limiter and retest when the weather clears up. i also had to add more trans fluid. i brought it up to 35mm at 130 degress.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
S/S care to speculate on how hard it would be to get a manual 6 speed out of the Nittro or even the 5 speed auto. I would assume, new ECU, and whatever controls the 5 speed auto.

Say if one found a totalled 3.5 with 5 speed and could get ECU, Key, trans and assorted stuff like shifter. Or mabye just get the 5 speed auto and after market control unit.

OR
complete 6 speed from Nittro, with ECU and Key, dunno as the whole trans control brain built into the ECU thinggy.

Since you know the most about it. What are your thoughts?

I've done many swaps and IMO, the electric germlins are by the far the hardest to stamp out.

The more I know about this trans the more I hate on it and to be realistic, DWB is the number one reason for me to own the car, so trading the whole thing in for the pentastar and a 5 speed auto ain't gonna happen either. Now if there were no smog here, I'd think about a whole range of options...

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, today is a very bad day.

she is severly damaged and stuck on the side of the road. i think i grenaded the trans to pieces. for now, i need to lick my wounds and then get it flatbedded back to the garage in the morning.

·
Registered
495 Posts
well, today is a very bad day.

she is severly damaged and stuck on the side of the road. i think i grenaded the trans to pieces. for now, i need to lick my wounds and then get it flatbedded back to the garage in the morning.

Bad deal. I hope you get it all sorted out. Hopefully the autopsy will provide some useful information.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
Tony, very sorry to hear about the car. I always have faith in what you do to the SE. You will figure it out and it will be better than ever.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts