Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already posted this over in the SE forums, but was wanting to see what you 'already R/T' owners have to say about it! Thanks for your time and suggestions!

I know I know, this is yet another SE upgrade to R/T question, but I have to ask it.

Yesterday I received a letter in the mail from my local dodge company. The letter states that this Saturday they are offering 20,300 for my Challenger SE. They claim to be doing this because, "when trade values are readjusted for 2011, you could lose as much as 15% off from this pending offer." Now, of course I would want to upgrade to either an 2010 or 2011 R/T (I love my SE to death, just kinda curious about the bigger baby's, you only live once right?!) and there is a side note saying to make sure to check out 0% APR financing on all remaining 2010 models, but I do not know if this would include Challengers considering their high demand.

The kicker is that I got my Challenger in January of last year, used, for 19,500 and it's completely paid off. Up front cash. it No monthly payments, nothing. Also, I have put roughly about 2,500 into the car which makes my investment into my 2009 SE around 22,000. The car also has 46,000 miles on it. The previous owner really USED the car, but it's in great condition.

So, my question to you guys is... Is it worth it, or not? I'm also a college student with 3-5 years left but University pays me to go to school due to scholarships, so that's not an issue either. It's a toss up in my book, I love my car to death, but the grass always seems a little greener on the other side

Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Pricey

·
Registered
630 Posts
$20,300 sounds like a great deal for your car if they don't hose you on the price of the new car. I would try to get a cash price for the new car before you decide to trade. You should be able to buy a 2010 R/T at significantly less than sticker.

·
Registered
574 Posts
That's a great price for your car. I would be hesitant to pay $15k for it. Like what was said, if they don't kill you on the price of the RT then ya sure. But remember, the dealership is there to make money, they aren't giving you more for your trade just because they want to be nice. They will prob kill you on the RT price but check it out.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Test drive the R/T to see if it would be worth it to you to pay monthly payments. As was mentioned earlier, the dealership is going to try and make up the difference somehow you can bet on it. They are there to make money, not give it away. If you do opt to get the R/T make sure you know your credit score going in so that they don't try to stick you with a high interest loan. I agree with Blackdeuce, get a cash price for the R/T first:thumbsup: and watch out for the "add ons".
Good luck with whatever you decide.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
You've heard the saying, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

You're young and driving a nice car. Concentrate on school kiddo, that's what is important right now. A good education will enable you to afford what your heart desires down the road. Good luck!

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I just did a trade for mine, Vann Dodge in Vineland NJ gave me $20,000 trade in value on a used 2009 RT that I purchased for $29,500.

with $2500 down I am paying only $25 more a month on a fully loaded RT. Yea I know it is a used for a used , but they offered me $6000 more for my trade than anyone here where I live in Louisiana. I am not regretting it one bit. I was amazed that they would give me that much just by using pics from my car domain to make a deal, I even got a email from the salesman that I could print the email as proof that they will give me what was advertized.

Now I have the car of my dreams and will keep it for a long time.
I myself had about $2000 in mods and stuff to make mine a nice show car. but this deal was too good to pass up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Check the deal out. Sounds awful good. My experience is those ads always have all kinds of exceptions or conditions though. The dealers can't stay in business giving you too much for your car and losing on the new car. But sometimes they are just desperate to move inventory and you can "steal" a deal.

I went in looking at a nearly base RT with a 6 speed (listed around $32000, sale price would have been around $28,500), and ended up buying a Classic RT loaded with Super Track Pack (listed for $38590). I used the same "you only live once" logic. And I don't have any regrets at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check the deal out. Sounds awful good. My experience is those ads always have all kinds of exceptions or conditions though. The dealers can't stay in business giving you too much for your car and losing on the new car. But sometimes they are just desperate to move inventory and you can "steal" a deal.

I went in looking at a nearly base RT with a 6 speed (listed around $32000, sale price would have been around $28,500), and ended up buying a Classic RT loaded with Super Track Pack (listed for $38590). I used the same "you only live once" logic. And I don't have any regrets at all.
Yeah I've decided I'm definitely gonna try to make it up there and check it out. But, if it's not a steal a deal price or somewhere very close to it I'm gonna TRY to walk. I probably shouldn't even test drive an R/T, it'll be too tempting! :browsmiley:

Pricey

·
Registered
142 Posts
I traded my SE for an RT, love the RT man...
Your'S is paid off, you love it. Gas prices climbing.

Depending how heavy footed you drive, you could get away not spending more on gas with an RT and MDS. If you drive like me, it'll cost you 2 to 3 times the gas LOL.

I have so much fun with it though.

Just think of everything you put into your SE and what you wanna put in the RT.
Exhaust, Predator.... My swap cost me the alot of $ considering all the upgrades.

As a student, you might wanna hold off getting in debt.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Wow this is a no-brainer. Go trade up. Even if youre not gonna put anything down your payments are going to be very afforable. I don't have to tell you whats been rattleing around in your brain. You've got a muscle car. There is nothing like flexing a little muscle out on the beach.

Are you a member of a credit union? Most of the credit unions in my area have been offering ridiculously low intersts rates. I got a 60 month loan for 2.49 %. Most credit unions will let you join with only a $5 deposit. If you go into the dealership with financing in place you are in a much better position to bargain. I've seen 2 other credit unions locally offer 1.9%

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, got some bad news. It sounded too good to be true, and it was. Apparently the 20,300 wasn't a fixed fee, and they decided they wanted to take 30 cents off per mile over 20,000. This brought the price of my car to around 12,500 for a trade in. So needless to say, I'm keeping my beautiful SE and will wait until after graduating college to get the R/T. Like I said in my first post, it was a toss up and I can't say that im not a little disappointed, but being in college and everything really makes me proud and happy to at least be classified as a proud owner of a Challenger regardless of the engine size :D

Thanks for all the suggestions and helpful comments guys!

One day I'll be back in these R/T forums for good, I can assure you of that! :thumbsup:

Pricey

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well, got some bad news. It sounded too good to be true, and it was. Apparently the 20,300 wasn't a fixed fee, and they decided they wanted to take 30 cents off per mile over 20,000. This brought the price of my car to around 12,500 for a trade in. So needless to say, I'm keeping my beautiful SE and will wait until after graduating college to get the R/T. Like I said in my first post, it was a toss up and I can't say that im not a little disappointed, but being in college and everything really makes me proud and happy to at least be classified as a proud owner of a Challenger regardless of the engine size :D

Thanks for all the suggestions and helpful comments guys!

One day I'll be back in these R/T forums for good, I can assure you of that! :thumbsup:

Pricey
Easy come, easy go. Ya still have a bada55 ride!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Smart move, I would a told them where to stick it also. Lawyers and car salesmen, two classes of individuals you can never trust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts