Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I truly hope I'll finally get an answer from the wealth of knowledge available on this forum. I've been pulling my hair out over this issue:
Is there a difference in the automatic transmission shifter sticks of the SE & RT?

I ask because I purchased this Hurst shifter handle for my SE:

PISTOL-GRIP SHIFTER HANDLE - Clear Anodized Aluminum

I had a performance shop that specializes in Mopar install it & the handle sits high on the stick.
Two other members purchased the same handle & the installation process varied. The only difference that I can find is that one car was an SE & the other an RT:

I have this one.

Hurst Shifters 1531000 - Hurst Pistol-Grip Shifter Handles - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I found it on ebay for only $25 plus shipping. to get it to work on mine I had to drill a small set screw hole in the front of the lower finger grip. Used a allen wrench set screw I found at Lowe's. I also used a tap to thread it for the screw. One other thing. it sets pretty high on the shifter shaft, so I drilled out some more of the shaft hole for it to sit lower almost in the stock shifter grip position.
The key is not tightening any of the 4 large fasteners until you have the handle in the desired position. Even though it doesn't look like it, they are fully functional and will tighten that handle significantly. The two small screws that fit recessed into the small holes are more to line up the handle where you want it before tightening the big ones.

Let me know how it goes.

Chris
:scratchhead:

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
here is a pic of my Hurst pistol grip handle.

like I said before I had to drill the hole deeper into the handle and then I drilled and tapped a hole in the lower finger grip for a set screw. it has not gotten loose on me in the year it's been on.

A buddy of mine powder coated it for me and I painted the letters.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....like I said before I had to drill the hole deeper into the handle and then I drilled and tapped a hole in the lower finger grip for a set screw. it has not gotten loose on me in the year it's been on.

A buddy of mine powder coated it for me and I painted the letters.
That's what's confusing to me. Why does yours (& mine apparently) need some modifications & Forcerecon67's slid right down?

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
dunno. when I first set mine on the shifter shaft it was way up there, so I took a drill and a big bit and drilled it out. wasnt hard to do as far as figuring out how deep to drill. just kept drilling a little bit at a time and test fit it to see how deep I hd it on the shaft. once I was satified with the setting. I just drilled the set screw hole and tapped it and it was done.

this is the one I bought from ebay.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUU-1531000/?image=large

·
Registered
156 Posts
I ordered mine directly from Hurst on the following page:

Knobs and Handles

Item# 1536150.

DGibson, looks like you have a different part that comes with different sized threaded adaptors. Might be a different handle all together (they make several variations if you look at Hurst's site).

The hole on mine went almost all the way to the top of the inside of the handle (no drilling required). As a matter of fact, I could have mounted it even lower if I wanted to. Also, I can't imagine the stick it different between an R/T and S/E when you remove the factory installed handle.

I definitely am curious about your handle pdx and wish I could see it in person and help out. Did you get it from Hurst or another website?

Chris

·
Registered
156 Posts
DGibson - yours is definitely a different handle. You don't have any of the side mounting fasteners.

The picture from Hurst of the item I ordered also doesn't show the mounting screws, but that's because they either used the same picture as for the part listed above it, or I have a more recent and retooled model? Not sure.

Here are pics of mine again.

Cheers,
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered mine directly from Hurst on the following page:

Knobs and Handles

Item# 1536150.

DGibson, looks like you have a different part that comes with different sized threaded adaptors. Might be a different handle all together (they make several variations if you look at Hurst's site).

The hole on mine went almost all the way to the top of the inside of the handle (no drilling required). As a matter of fact, I could have mounted it even lower if I wanted to. Also, I can't imagine the stick it different between an R/T and S/E when you remove the factory installed handle.

I definitely am curious about your handle pdx and wish I could see it in person and help out. Did you get it from Hurst or another website?

Chris
I called Hurst before ordering to make sure I got the right handle & bought it directly from them. They said it's #1536050 which is the same as yours but in clear anodized aluminum instead of black. I simply don't get it.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The picture from Hurst of the item I ordered also doesn't show the mounting screws, but that's because they either used the same picture as for the part listed above it, or I have a more recent and retooled model? Not sure.

Cheers,
Chris
The picture of the item I ordered doesn't show the mounting screws either.

I called Hurst today & they asked me to send an email with pictures (again) & they'll look into it.

I'm also going back to the shop after work tomorrow because they're going to take another look at it.

This is a pain in the a**!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I called Hurst before ordering to make sure I got the right handle & bought it directly from them. They said it's #1536050 which is the same as yours but in clear anodized aluminum instead of black. I simply don't get it.
When you get a chance, can you post another close-up pic of yours?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
Like I said, I bought mine on ebay, paid about $20 for it.

the handle with the side bolts looks cool too. but didnt see any of those on the bay when I bought mine last year.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow!! that does stick way up there. I can see why you are confused about the mounting then. just measure you drill bit to the side of the handle and mark it with some tape. that way you wont drill past that mark.
The point is I shouldn't have to drill because Forcerecon67 & I purchased the same handle.

I wish some of the forum members that are familiar with this type of issue would chime in too.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mystery solved!

It seems the issue was caused by both a misunderstanding & a missing screw:

I had called the shop & said the screws "need to come out." I should've clarified that they need to be removed.

Also, there are only three large screws & they thought one of the small screws was supposed to go in the bottom large hole.

Anyway, it's finally installed correctly & it looks very cool! It was dark when I left the shop, so I'll post pictures tomorrow & call Hurst on Monday to get the fourth screw.

You guys are awesome & I greatly appreciate your help! :drink4:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts