Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 Scat pack, had a wheel sensor going bad at 20k so I dropped it off at the dealer to fix it. Well I guess they did not see the dash cam. at about 28 sec into the video they say "F it, I have insurance" then they pull out on to a public road and you can clearly hear tire spin at about 1 min, then they get after it a bit later. I say they because there were clearly 2 of them in the car for a road test. Is it normal for 2 techs to road test a car? I am more upset bout the lack of respect for a customers car. Think I am justified in being a bit upset?

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT Core
552 Posts
https://youtu.be/YLaN5he1XAk

Here's a tech and the shop foreman tying to diagnose my rear end noises.That little spin did not equate to 30 miles,so the tech must have took a joyride then plugged the camera back in.Took it to another dealer for the same problem and they put 25 miles on it but disconnected the camera.I feel your pain.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
When I had my R/T in for a check engine light, both times caused by the trans. I told them when they road tested it to "Drive it like they Stole it" because that's how I drive. They said "No they do not do that."

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Copy of that video and me would be visiting the service dept manager with some choice words and letting them make some suggestions on how to make it right. Also for the others who've stated so, any tech disconnecting your dash cam is jut prepping for trouble, I would leave specific instructions that the camera is there and is to remain connected at all times. Good way to avoid trouble before it starts...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Copy of that video and me would be visiting the service dept manager with some choice words and letting them make some suggestions on how to make it right. Also for the others who've stated so, any tech disconnecting your dash cam is jut prepping for trouble, I would leave specific instructions that the camera is there and is to remain connected at all times. Good way to avoid trouble before it starts...
I will be having a come to Jesus talk with the service manager this morning. The video is already uploaded to YouTube, based on the outcome of my chat with the service manager I will make a decision regarding the dissemination of the video and weather or not to name the dealer .

·
Registered
42 Posts
This sucks, dealer I got my SP from wouldn't let the valets deliver it because they didn't let staff drive anything with the 6.4 or Hellcat engine in it so any road tests are done by the customer.

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
I would be livid. I would also demand a new set of tires when these wear out and free oil changes for 100k miles and I would want that so called tech fired and guaranteed to not be rehired. I would also ask the GM if he remembers a similar incident a few years back when "techs" took a Camaro for a joy ride and burned up the trans or clutch, I can't remember. That video cause absolute hell for the dealership and they had people calling from all over the Country to chew them out. Untold business lost there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Seattle13733 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA is the dealer this occurred at, I was not going to name them till I talked to the service manager and got nothing but lip service. Never take your car here for service.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,033 Posts
This sort of mistreatment is exactly what gives the dealerships such bad reputations in the eyes of their potential customers. They complain about being maligned unfairly, yet employ fuktards that will joy ride in customer's cars. Can't have it both ways, they need to stamp this crap out and make examples of the techs if they ever hope to win anyone's trust.

Now, having said all that, I do have a word of warning for anyone who might use a dash-cam or other recording device in the vehicle (hidden or otherwise, and factory installed doesn't matter either) to record the techs during their test drives: you need to check your state's laws regarding making audio recordings of 3rd parties without their consent.

Some states allow it, and you would not have any negative consequences of keeping a nanny-cam in your car to catch punks doing donuts in your ride.

However, there are a few states that do not allow recording a conversation between 2 (or more) parties without getting all recorded parties' consent in advance.

So in those states, if you make such a recording without the service tech's consent, and then you go public with it to shame them or something to try to get resolution on a complaint or whatever, it would not be out of the realm of possibilities that those same troglodytes could call the local fuzz and try to get you arrested, and if your mug was on the local news talking about how you secretly recording the punks engaging in jack-assery in your car, you just provided the cops with all the evidence they need to effect the arrest requested by the troglodytes!

Is all that likely to happen, even in the worst of scenarios? No, probably not.

Is there any possibility at all that it could happen, if all the unlucky planets were accidentally aligned? Well sure, if the law is on the books in the state, there's always a chance it could be used to prosecute you, no matter how unlikely it is to actually occur. And when it comes to jail, even a 0.01% chance of going is too much to risk, so make sure you keep your own arse covered just in case!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The TL;DR: make sure to check the applicable state laws before revealing to anyone else that you have a recording made inside your car of other people talking, as it might be illegal to do that where you are.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nuke

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,033 Posts
on another note, did they at least *fix the wheel speed sensor*?
You know, I think that might have some bearing on what happened here, or at least possibly explain it (there is no excuse for their behavior though).

On a hunch, I pulled out my LX Service Manual and looked up the procedures (both replace and test/verify) for those parts, and I noticed every speed sensor's test/verify section just references back to an ABS test detail earlier in manual. So I looked it up, and I think I've found the smoking gun.

Here's a screen shot of the steps for that ABS test that is a requirement after any speed sensor is replaced:

Capture111.jpg

Notice that last step down at the bottom I highlighted??

It would seem FCA is giving their techs some pretty sweet perks as part of their jobs as service techs...well, they're sweet if you are the tech, but they are pretty crappy if you are the owner of the car they get to use...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Seattle13733 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA is the dealer this occurred at, I was not going to name them till I talked to the service manager and got nothing but lip service. Never take your car here for service.
Contact Dodge Cares. Also be sure to give them bad reviews on the survey from Dodge you will get. They look at those and listen.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You know, I think that might have some bearing on what happened here, or at least possibly explain it (there is no excuse for their behavior though).

On a hunch, I pulled out my LX Service Manual and looked up the procedures (both replace and test/verify) for those parts, and I noticed every speed sensor's test/verify section just references back to an ABS test detail earlier in manual. So I looked it up, and I think I've found the smoking gun.

Here's a screen shot of the steps for that ABS test that is a requirement after any speed sensor is replaced:

View attachment 820578

Notice that last step down at the bottom I highlighted??

It would seem FCA is giving their techs some pretty sweet perks as part of their jobs as service techs...well, they're sweet if you are the tech, but they are pretty crappy if you are the owner of the car they get to use...

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I think the law is pretty forgiving when someone is being recorded in your own vehicle. I'd guess that the law would hold that a service tech has no reasonable expectation of privacy when inside the vehicle of another person. But in any case, I don't see the Supreme Court getting interested in this.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your dates off on your cam too....unless this really happened on 1/17/13

Well seen as the car did not even exist on 1-17-13 you may draw your own conclusion as to the validity of the video. I am sure the surveillance from the dealer will corroborate the presence of the vehicle in their possession along with the service record. Or, maybe I am a time traveler and traveled into the future then returned with a 2015 model and somehow convinced the dealer to service a car that does not exist in that time frame, or maybe it was the Russians?

·
Registered
752 Posts
If I were you I'd find the name of the owner of the dealership and show him, or her, the video. I don't think the owner will like what he sees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Contact Dodge Cares. Also be sure to give them bad reviews on the survey from Dodge you will get. They look at those and listen.

There are many other places to share the reviews, Yelp for example, and dealerrater.com. If you see or hear them advertise on TV or radio, send the video to the station they advertise on, the sales manager.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts