Dodge Challenger Forum banner

321 - 340 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
as well as the foam, the felt pads behind the plastic wheel well liners should be pulled out. I think this is actually just as bad as the foam. If you drive in wet conditions much then this felt will no doubt get soaked and it will never dry out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rocker Panel rust

I'm looking at purchasing a new car, or truck soon and can't really make up my mind. One thing that is holding me back for a 2017/18 Challenger Hellcat is the rocker panel rust I have seen on some of your cars.

I live in Canada and it will be a daily driver no matter what the conditions. I have done it before and have no problems with a good pair of winter tires. Sold my 2012 Challenger SRT in April of this year....so I know how fun these cars can be to drive.

However my next purchase, I would like to keep for 10 years or more....a good Krown rust proof every year, should keep it rust free. The only problem is those rockers I have seen rusting out. I wouldn't be very happy if after 5/6 years, this problem pops up.....these car are not cheap.

I know we have only seen this rust on a few cars to date, so please don't tell me to try my luck, its not that good. My car will be covered in salt for 3 months. I do have my eye on other cars as well, but the Challenger keeps sticking in my head for some reason.

If no one finds the cause, or a fix for this by the time I'm ready to purchase....I will pass on the Hellcat.

So....have any of you removed the foam? if so how.

And Dodge if your reading this....shoot me a pm. Please let me know your thoughts on this rust issue. I would really like to by another product from you...I have a 2015 Ram Longhorn that has been great.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The only difference between a HC and any other Challenger, is the drivetrain. The body and sheet metal is all the same. I have seen very few rust issues from any of my club members. These guys have NY cars from 2008 and up. Salt is a nasty corrosive and you can only delay the inevitable when you drive in snow/salt conditions. This is why I put my 2014 RT away for the winter months and don't bring it out until 3-4 good spring rainfalls have washed away any salt residue left on the roads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The only difference between a HC and any other Challenger, is the drivetrain. The body and sheet metal is all the same. I have seen very few rust issues from any of my club members. These guys have NY cars from 2008 and up. Salt is a nasty corrosive and you can only delay the inevitable when you drive in snow/salt conditions. This is why I put my 2014 RT away for the winter months and don't bring it out until 3-4 good spring rainfalls have washed away any salt residue left on the roads.
I know all Challenger body's are the same, I'm at that time in my life where I can afford a very nice car or two, but do not want to store it. I also have a 2002 Taurus car that has been Krown rust proofed only 4 times and has 170,000 km on it. It has seen every winter and only washed once a year, yes only once.....car has no exterior body panel rust at all (lucky I guess)....all original. Its time for this car to go, My replacement must not rust, I will Krown it every year.

I did the same as you, with my Corvette and Challenger SRT , but I just can't see storing cars anymore. I really would rather have the front fender rust out....replacement very easy, but the rear rocker area is not a easy fix.

I have emailed Dodge, but will not buy another Challenger without a solution to what I see will be a problem for me up here in the north......no worries though, I have other vehicles I'm looking at, but the Challenger is up there on my list again.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing a new car, or truck soon and can't really make up my mind. One thing that is holding me back for a 2017/18 Challenger Hellcat is the rocker panel rust I have seen on some of your cars.

I live in Canada and it will be a daily driver no matter what the conditions. I have done it before and have no problems with a good pair of winter tires. Sold my 2012 Challenger SRT in April of this year....so I know how fun these cars can be to drive.

However my next purchase, I would like to keep for 10 years or more....a good Krown rust proof every year, should keep it rust free. The only problem is those rockers I have seen rusting out. I wouldn't be very happy if after 5/6 years, this problem pops up.....these car are not cheap.

I know we have only seen this rust on a few cars to date, so please don't tell me to try my luck, its not that good. My car will be covered in salt for 3 months. I do have my eye on other cars as well, but the Challenger keeps sticking in my head for some reason.

If no one finds the cause, or a fix for this by the time I'm ready to purchase....I will pass on the Hellcat.

So....have any of you removed the foam? if so how.

And Dodge if your reading this....shoot me a pm. Please let me know your thoughts on this rust issue. I would really like to by another product from you...I have a 2015 Ram Longhorn that has been great.
I know all Challenger body's are the same, I'm at that time in my life where I can afford a very nice car or two, but do not want to store it. I also have a 2002 Taurus car that has been Krown rust proofed only 4 times and has 170,000 km on it. It has seen every winter and only washed once a year, yes only once.....car has no exterior body panel rust at all (lucky I guess)....all original. Its time for this car to go, My replacement must not rust, I will Krown it every year.

I did the same as you, with my Corvette and Challenger SRT , but I just can't see storing cars anymore. I really would rather have the front fender rust out....replacement very easy, but the rear rocker area is not a easy fix.

I have emailed Dodge, but will not buy another Challenger without a solution to what I see will be a problem for me up here in the north......no worries though, I have other vehicles I'm looking at, but the Challenger is up there on my list again.
So you want a Hellcat, to drive in the snow and salt, that must not rust for at least 10 years, washing it once a year, with snow tires, WOW!
I call troll alert!
Buy a Corvette. They are fiberglass.

Good luck!

Tom.

Edit: We are honored you considered a Challenger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lol....one in every group. Thanks for your lame reply.

I have been on this forum for five years....something happened to my ID and password. Just made a new one...so no troll here.

Yes.....my $80,000 canadian Hellcat ( if I Buy) better not rust in ten years with it being Krowned every year. Like I said, my 2002 has none on the body!!

Please....I don't. Need your advice...worth nothing to me.

Move on please.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
This is just me. Do you can take my advice with a grain of salt. NO PUN INTENDED LOL there is no way I would own a car like that, that is supercharged and drive it in the crazy fridged conditions that u can and will subject it to. Way way way to hard on a supercharger let alone everything else. I know I know dodge tested stuff like that. Good for them. That is just me though. What do. I know I spent 20 grand on my engine to drive 1000 miles a yr lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
I was just in the body shop at the dealership for a minor paint issue. I'm going to bring my new SPS Back for repair in April because of the weather turning. I mentioned the Rust issues to the body shop manager. He was well aware of the whole issue. He did say that most of the rust issues were in the early models he's seen and repaired. I'm wondering myself if there were a batch that were only being affected. I personally work for one of the assembly plants and know that the paint process is pretty good. They dip the whole body including hoods, doors and lift gates/deck lids in a charged uniprime to coat the metal which is actually a beige colour and after it dries and hardens, turns a greyish colour. It don't help having the polyethylene foam sitting there trapping water like a sponge. It worries me Also but me personally, I bought the car as a seasonal leisure car to enjoy in the warmer months. It don't hurt to have it krowned, Ziebarted or undercoated. If there's a way to get inside the panels I'd spray the heck out of those areas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is just me. Do you can take my advice with a grain of salt. NO PUN INTENDED LOL there is no way I would own a car like that, that is supercharged and drive it in the crazy fridged conditions that u can and will subject it to. Way way way to hard on a supercharger let alone everything else. I know I know dodge tested stuff like that. Good for them. That is just me though. What do. I know I spent 20 grand on my engine to drive 1000 miles a yr lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was just in the body shop at the dealership for a minor paint issue. I'm going to bring my new SPS Back for repair in April because of the weather turning. I mentioned the Rust issues to the body shop manager. He was well aware of the whole issue. He did say that most of the rust issues were in the early models he's seen and repaired. I'm wondering myself if there were a batch that were only being affected. I personally work for one of the assembly plants and know that the paint process is pretty good. They dip the whole body including hoods, doors and lift gates/deck lids in a charged uniprime to coat the metal which is actually a beige colour and after it dries and hardens, turns a greyish colour. It don't help having the polyethylene foam sitting there trapping water like a sponge. It worries me Also but me personally, I bought the car as a seasonal leisure car to enjoy in the warmer months. It don't hurt to have it krowned, Ziebarted or undercoated. If there's a way to get inside the panels I'd spray the heck out of those areas.
Thanks guys.. if I can find a way to remove the foam and spray it with Krown on a regular basis...I'm in. I guess it dose sound a bit crazy not to purchase a car for one rust issue, but that's my thinking. I have a hand full of vehicle I'm considering.

I think of myself as a car guy....and love a bunch of different manufactures and models, from trucks to luxury, sport or muscle cars...I have had 21 different cars to date....time to slow down a bit, keep them a bit longer.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Yeah, I'd never drive a car like a Hellcat in those Canadian conditions. I live in Oregon where we get very little snow and don't like driving any car that I try and keep clean in our conditions. If your Taurus's has been so good to you in the inclement weather, buy another one, get it sealed, buy a Hellcat too and keep it for summer. :grin2:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Lol....one in every group. Thanks for your lame reply.

I have been on this forum for five years....something happened to my ID and password. Just made a new one...so no troll here.

Yes.....my $80,000 canadian Hellcat ( if I Buy) better not rust in ten years with it being Krowned every year. Like I said, my 2002 has none on the body!!

Please....I don't. Need your advice...worth nothing to me.

Move on please.
I am sorry for the attitude. I should not have posted in the mood I was in.

Welcome back, and good luck. (I am not always a jerk)

Tom.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If I was you and have the money I would by a nice challenger and then buy a used dodge truck 4x4 and that way you can get around and have the best of both.Thats my two cents.PS That's what I did

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
I would not buy a Challenger with the intent of driving it winter road conditions and keeping more that 4 or 5 years. If you look at the foam issue it is just a given it rust out. Even cars in FL daily driven have rusted out. I have not seen any proof that any owner has gotten the foam out without cutting open the rear quarters to repair.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have said this before, applying Corrosion-X in and around as many areas of the rockers/quarter panels as you can get to might really help this issue. That's what I did, very easy to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Guys lets remember why I posted my concerns/questions about rocker rust. I don't want this to be a thread about....do not drive your Challenger in the winter, or buy a beater...or whatever.

I also have a 2105 Ram Longhorn for those days it really snows... maybe once a week where the snow is crazy, the car will sit. Up here the roads are plowed very well, and the large amount of salt really helps the road conditions around here. So please don't fill this thread with...don't drive a Challenger in poor conditions.

If someone finds a way to remove the foam I need to know. Drilling a few holes, and spraying some Krown once and a while may not be enough if water/salt is always getting in there with no way out. I remember checking my 2012 Challenger SRT through an access hole.... I think made by Krown...it was full of foam.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Foam isn't the problem, moisture is. Find out how the moisture is getting in and that will be the best prevention. That foam goes all the way down under the door to the front fender but no rust there. Just in front of the rear tire.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Here is a great shot of what's under there. Lots of potential for water to get in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

·
Registered
285 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that a few ppl had drilled holes above the foam in the wheel well and used acetone to dissolve the foam and flush it out the bottom thru additional holes drilled under the rocker cover.

321 - 340 of 458 Posts