Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some advice on running wires through a firewall for a front camera for a Lockpick CHR550 on a 2010 Challenger SE Automatic.

As I see the firewall, there are 2 good possibilities to the right of the master cylinder. One is obviously the hood release (lower cable in picture 1) and the second has a wire loom (top wire group in picture 1). Not sure exactly what wiring that is, but seems like a possibility.

The other two possibilities are the access for the auto trans cable (picture 2) and the major wiring trunk on the passenger side (picture 3).

I like the idea of 1 of the two to the right of the master cylinder because they are hidden from view. Has anyone used either of these to run a wire through? How is the access to those spots under the dash? The hole needs to be big enough to get an RCA plug through. Can I get it through the existing hole or do I need to cut another in the grommet? Will it seal back up or do I need to seal it with something (silicone maybe?).

Any successes (or mistakes to avoid) would be greatly appreciated.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I ran wires through the hood release (right of master cylinder) rubber part near the cable. Used a coat-hanger with one end bent over itself and some electrical tape. Pushed it through the hole & it stayed small so no sealing was required. - I was running the wires for the alarm horn and ground wire to the drivers fender lug.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I did mine like this:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Camera wire

Ran mine through the single cable one easy grab above the pedals,also used sound/security wire like a 22-4 shielded then you only have one wire too pull solder and shrink wrap the ends.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. I think I will go through the hood latch hole. I think I will run the wire along the hood latch and put both in a small loom I will post pictures when done.

Next question. Can you guys post some pictures of your front camera mounts? I want to mount it in the lower grill since my 1 and only reason for the camera is avoiding parking blocks, etc. but I can't seem to find a way to mount it in a way that makes it both discrete and effective without cutting any of the lower grill or drilling into any holes in the outside facing plastic.

The perfect camera would sit inside one of the small squares in the grill and be secured somewhere on the inside section of the grill, spoiler, bumper cover or any other spot I could secure it to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts