Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking which usually leads to dumb questions. When we tune the duramax or a an lsX engine say 1999 and newer we have 2 different switches we put into the ecm connector one has 2 postitons and the pther has 5 and then we load a different operating system with EFILive so we can literaly just "switch" programs like you go from windows media player to itunes. Has anyone tried this with the newer chrysler computers? Maybe offer 2-5 different tunes for the owner to switch back and forth from say for daily driving versus 1/8 mile then 1/4 mile and maybe even a crazy racing fuel only tune by just the turn of a knob. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Interesting concept. Some of the newer cars have an "econ" mode and a "normal" mode and a "sport" mode. It would be neat to be able to switch back and forth at the push of a button or turn of a knob.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
That would be nice, I also have several Duramax's and like you said you just plug it in and install the tune that fits your need at the moment. That would be very handy for these cars for sure. Theres bound to be a reason it don't work, there have been lots of smart folks working on these for years.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now the EFILive group has been working on a setup for the cummins. If they get it cracked maybe we can use it to crack the gas engines. I do know we must be very careful because the one thing I have found out on the newer chrysler computers is they don't like bad components. We have had to replace several pcm's due to a bad coil or crank sensor. I had to buy one myself after trying to install our home made "adjustable" map sensor on a 4.7 dakota. It worked fine on a 98 jeep but took out the pcm on an 02 dakota:scratchhead:. Just have to keep trying I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
The Gov is stepping in lately and putting pressure on the car manufacturers to "lock up" the ecm/pcm on the cars. I have a 11 gmc duramax coming in a week or so. I think I'll be leaving it stock.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Gov is stepping in lately and putting pressure on the car manufacturers to "lock up" the ecm/pcm on the cars. I have a 11 gmc duramax coming in a week or so. I think I'll be leaving it stock.
EFILive will crack it I am sure:bigthumb: My problem is if we can change the tune in the duramax and get 22+ mpg out of it and when it was built it only got 15mpg then why is what we do a bad thing? To tune a durmax and actually see first hand what was left on the table is absolutely shocking. Yes, the gas engines are more sensitive but if you know what your doing they can be helped as well. Talk about a political cover up. The oil and gas companies are behind this you can bet on it. Look at the new dmax, 397hp with a tweak and 20% mod your well over 400hp and the torque goes way up. I do not do the tuning, I leave that to the pros but I do the mods and twins and stuff and just a 20% increase across some tables get you better towing and fuel milage and it takes about 15 min. And, as far a tuning, do people think the dealer/manufacturer uses diablo, efilive and such? No, its done with a computer and software, so release it already and charge for it, we will pay!!!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
EFILive will crack it I am sure:bigthumb: My problem is if we can change the tune in the duramax and get 22+ mpg out of it and when it was built it only got 15mpg then why is what we do a bad thing? To tune a durmax and actually see first hand what was left on the table is absolutely shocking. Yes, the gas engines are more sensitive but if you know what your doing they can be helped as well. Talk about a political cover up. The oil and gas companies are behind this you can bet on it. Look at the new dmax, 397hp with a tweak and 20% mod your well over 400hp and the torque goes way up. I do not do the tuning, I leave that to the pros but I do the mods and twins and stuff and just a 20% increase across some tables get you better towing and fuel milage and it takes about 15 min. And, as far a tuning, do people think the dealer/manufacturer uses diablo, efilive and such? No, its done with a computer and software, so release it already and charge for it, we will pay!!!!
Oh man, dont get me started on 'lets add a dpf filter to reduce emissions, which in turn will drop mileage in half, thus depleting the earth of natural resources that much sooner, but [email protected]& it, we'll have cleaner air when the planet implodes'.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh man, dont get me started on 'lets add a dpf filter to reduce emissions, which in turn will drop mileage in half, thus depleting the earth of natural resources that much sooner, but [email protected]& it, we'll have cleaner air when the planet implodes'.
I know. Texas has been pretty easy but starting last year they are trying to enforce the dpf crap big time. Supposedly if a Trooper pulss you over and its 09' I think and newer they can impound you truck and fine you $10,000 on the spot if you remove any of it! I agree on needing clean air but if your vehicle burns everything put through it because of quality parts and tuning then your better then most newer vehicles. I am certified in AZ for emissions and loved to see a 1981 olds pass while smoking like a train and a new bmw fail. people were pissed. i ran my dual quad small block luv thru with 1 gallon of alch, 5 gall avation fuel and 5 gallons unleaded-passed better then anyone had ever seen. I still have the sheet somewhere it was like .23hc's and .40 co's. I put in a 455 buick and never even touched it-mind you I had to pass for a 74' luv with a 4 cyl. 5.0co and 4.5 hc. My 86 toronado failed unless you turned on the a/c and it was fi computer controlled and totally stock. I HATE EMISSIONS. Sorry, anyways we can tune these things to tun better and get better mpg's if they would quit coming up with more crap. the guy who came up with the new diesel qualifications in Calif got his degree online, never spent a day in school for this or ever even touched a diesel, but he is an expert!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts