Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challlanger Crazy Purple 392 6.4 Liter
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Guys. I just bought a 2018 SXT and upgraded my door speakers to 6x9 kickers while it sounds better I desperately need some low end. So here's my question, am I better of upgrading my factory sub or installing an amplified subwoofer? Or maybe some other suggestions. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,441 Posts
HI Guys. I just bought a 2018 SXT and upgraded my door speakers to 6x9 kickers while it sounds better I desperately need some low end. So here's my question, am I better of upgrading my factory sub or installing an amplified subwoofer? Or maybe some other suggestions. Thanks for your help.
Do you know for sure you have a factory sub?

Unless you have the highline audio setup (SoundGroup II), there won’t be an actual factory sub. The door 6x9s would be expected to provide any low-end bass.

I have added powered subwoofers to both the Challengers I had, and while they work, that back seat is a real bass killer. I ended up driving around with the passenger side rear seat back folded down so I could hear the sub’s bass.

That was for the trunk-mounted (full-size) powered subs. I did briefly run a compact/shallow sub mounted to the floor board directly behind the driver’s seat, and that wasn’t too bad. Not the same as a full sized sub can do, but it certainly beefed up the bottom end of the (mostly stock) stereo system I had in that car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I dont or an amplifier for that matter, what do you think if I added a self powered 10 or 12 inch high end sub, and also do you think I can just put the amplified sub and leave the rest alone? IM trying to avoid a complete rewire right now if possible, thx for your input greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,441 Posts
No I dont or an amplifier for that matter, what do you think if I added a self powered 10 or 12 inch high end sub, and also do you think I can just put the amplified sub and leave the rest alone? IM trying to avoid a complete rewire right now if possible, thx for your input greatly appreciated
I ran a 10” Infiniti Basslink in the trunk of my 2011, and it was a great compliment to the otherwise stock system, but I did have to keep that seat back folded forward to really hear it.

I think a 12” powered sub would mitigate that back seat a lot better, but that’s definitely going to up the cost for the hardware.

·
Registered
2011 RT Classic Bright White
30 Posts
I have a ls7 12 inch kicker in kicker factory ported sub box 2ohm

.. always wanted that square thing. Powered with a cx mono 600.1 kicker amp

using fuse tap for remote off the rear fuse for front cigarette lighter

audio signal from a line out converter from the rear deck lid.

For now it’s good lows and also I changed the rears to 6.5 cs kickers. I have 3.5 cs kicker for front but I’m kinda lazy.

While the rms for the sub is 750 I’m will never get close to blowing it. I think the way to go is with a ported box. I have the seats up 100% of the time and after facing the port in different test positions my mirror looks like it’s gonna rattle off when I turn up the bass gain knob.

Wife hates it so you know it’s good and loud.
The kids can’t stand it too. So either it is really too loud or it’s my generation. I donno.

I don’t have experience with a self powered sub I didn’t research them much cause I knew the square type I got now would bump.

For any kind of sub self powered amp or not you will have to get a wiring kit. Like this one I got brought it to a guy for install.

If you don’t have an after market headunit with rca’s out then you will also need a line out converter

Now if you are trying to save space and put it under the seats I would buy that powered sub from Amazon or something with a return policy. If you don’t like it then return it.

But like I said you will need a wiring kit and line out converter regardless.

Maybe go to an audio shop and see if they can demo a self powered sub to get an idea if that’s enough bass for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nuke, based on your trials and my research I think that's the direction I'm gonna go, I wish I had more dough I wouldn't have to think about this shot, Thanks alot Nuke I'm gonna go with a 12 Blaupunkt always loves the sound, Rhanks for your help Nuke, I'll let you know how it. Turns out....

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
My two cents... I have a JBL BassPro SL under-seat powered-subwoofer. It fits nicely under the passenger seat and does a very good job for what is. It will only play down to about ~35hz though - the response drops like a brick after that. Definitely enough to help fill out the lower end, but it will NOT be the same as full 12" sub box in the trunk with a high-power amp for it. The JBL underseat sub is 125W RMS. A real sub box in the trunk would be more like 400W or 500W RMS.

Another good option would be the JL Stealthbox that is designed specifically for the Challenger trunk (I'll be adding this soon) - it mounts in the side of the trunk so that you don't lose any trunk space and has a 12" subwoofer in it. Unfortunately, it is NOT the solution if you are on a budget. The sub alone is like $750 and then you need a 500W RMS amp to power it. So it's a very expensive option.

JL Audio Stealthbox® Custom-fit enclosure with 12" 12W3v3 subwoofer fits 2009-up Dodge Challenger at Crutchfield

But if you really just want to fill out the bottom end, I'd recommend the JBL BassPro SL under-seat sub. Very easy to install and does a hell of a job for what it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My two cents... I have a JBL BassPro SL under-seat powered-subwoofer. It fits nicely under the passenger seat and does a very good job for what is. It will only play down to about ~35hz though - the response drops like a brick after that. Definitely enough to help fill out the lower end, but it will NOT be the same as full 12" sub box in the trunk with a high-power amp for it. The JBL underseat sub is 125W RMS. A real sub box in the trunk would be more like 400W or 500W RMS.

Another good option would be the JL Stealthbox that is designed specifically for the Challenger trunk (I'll be adding this soon) - it mounts in the side of the trunk so that you don't lose any trunk space and has a 12" subwoofer in it. Unfortunately, it is NOT the solution if you are on a budget. The sub alone is like $750 and then you need a 500W RMS amp to power it. So it's a very expensive option.

JL Audio Stealthbox® Custom-fit enclosure with 12" 12W3v3 subwoofer fits 2009-up Dodge Challenger at Crutchfield

But if you really just want to fill out the bottom end, I'd recommend the JBL BassPro SL under-seat sub. Very easy to install and does a hell of a job for what it is
All right guys here's what I'm going with, please give any advice or suggestions before I click the pay button lollll.

Blaupunkt EMA 1300 1200w Monoblock amplifier
Blaupunkt 12 inch single coil subwoofer 800W
Q power 12" vented box enclosure
2 Rockford fosgate 6.75" full range rear speakers.

Opinions/suggestions?

Thx guys

All trunk mountable
Any thoughts, opinions, ideas before I click that purchase button lolllll

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about real subs to know how that setup will perform. A lot of planning needs to go into things like box "volume", ported or sealed, specific location, etc - and I just don't have any experience with that stuff - which is why I will most likely go with the Stealtbox setup - JL did all of the engineering and testing for me. :) Although, I'm certainly paying for their work since it's so damn expensive.

Hopefully someone else can chime it about the specific subwoofer and box you're looking at - I just don't know enough about it to be helpful on that type of setup.

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger GT AWD
144 Posts
@jtrosky "I have a JBL BassPro SL under-seat powered-subwoofer. It fits nicely under the passenger seat"

I'm kind of a bass head, Would that JBL fit under the driver seat? I'm thinking of running 2 of them if that is possible to add on to whatever the Harmon Kardon brings me. Vehicle is still a few weeks off from ariving, but i already know it won't be enough and would like something low profile. and "Another good option would be the JL Stealthbox that is designed specifically for the Challenger trunk" So there was some guy I saw on youtube that sells those custom made, for BOTH of the trunk. I believe it was for the pre 15 challenger's, but I don't see why he wouldn't offer them on the newer ones too. I believe it was an older video, but it might be something to search for. I know that is the route I'll probably want to go if I decide I want even more bass beyond that. I really don't want a giant box taking up the trunk if i can avoid it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I ran a 10” Infiniti Basslink in the trunk of my 2011, and it was a great compliment to the otherwise stock system, but I did have to keep that seat back folded forward to really hear it.

I think a 12” powered sub would mitigate that back seat a lot better, but that’s definitely going to up the cost for the hardware.
Those rear seats do block a lot of the bass from the trunk. I have the harmon kardon system and after I did the rear seat delete I couldn't believe the difference in how much more sound I got from the subs in the trunk. I think their location in the spare tire well doesn't help either. I've notice I can leave the trunk floor folded up and its even better.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
@jtrosky "I have a JBL BassPro SL under-seat powered-subwoofer. It fits nicely under the passenger seat"

I'm kind of a bass head, Would that JBL fit under the driver seat? I'm thinking of running 2 of them if that is possible to add on to whatever the Harmon Kardon brings me. Vehicle is still a few weeks off from ariving, but i already know it won't be enough and would like something low profile. and "Another good option would be the JL Stealthbox that is designed specifically for the Challenger trunk" So there was some guy I saw on youtube that sells those custom made, for BOTH of the trunk. I believe it was for the pre 15 challenger's, but I don't see why he wouldn't offer them on the newer ones too. I believe it was an older video, but it might be something to search for. I know that is the route I'll probably want to go if I decide I want even more bass beyond that. I really don't want a giant box taking up the trunk if i can avoid it.
It's not that the JBL BassPro SL doesn't produce enough bass (it really does - it easily keeps up with my aftermarket amp, which is 75W RMS per channel x 6). However, it doesn't play the deep, deep bass that you'd get with a real sub and more power. The JBL BassPro SL will only play down to 35hz - at best - and I had to use some EQ and features on my DSP to get it to play flat down to 35hz. The frequency response drops off completely under 35hz. While you can fit one under the drivers seat as well (may have issues if you try to put the power drivers seat to it's lowest position though) - having two of them won't help them play any lower than 35hz. In my case, having two wouldn't help at all since one easily keep up with the rest of my system volume-wise - but it won't' help give my that deep, deep bass below 35hz at all.

If you are a true "bass head", I think that you'll miss that content under 35hz. The underseat subs do a great job of giving you good bass (much better than the 6x9 door speakers alone) - but only down to 35hz (which is probably enough for most people, but probably not low enough for a self-described "bass head").

I think you'd want a "real" sub (or two) in the trunk for your goals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts