Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests the bumper has began to separate from the black grille trim piece. I will upload some pictures to see if anyone else had this happen and if anyone knows how to fix it. It is an 09 r/t and this is a recent development. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
wow...that is severe IMO, sorry to see that. I don't know how handy you are but if it was me I would get underneath that thing, figure out how it is all attached and snug things up. Many would take it to the dealer but I'm terrified of those a$$wipes so I prefer to fix things like that myself. Something is not lining up correctly or some tabs have slipped out of place. Is the rest of the nose piece aligned correctly? There has to be some fasteners that are loose. You just have to get in there and figure it out OR let the oompa loompas have a shot at it. Good luck!

·
Registered
156 Posts
It looks as if maybe someone gently backed into your front bumper? Notice the red tabs showing. Those tabs should have ears on them and if not broken , the black strip should snap back into place starting from one end and working your way across. Hope this helps

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone did bump it hard enough to crack my license plate cover, but that was a few weeks ago and this just happened, but I guess it could have been loose all along and is just now showing. There are tabs on the painted plastic piece, you can see what I am talking about in one of the pictures if you look close. Maybe the black piece is broken where the tabs are supposed to go in to? I will try to work with it to see if I can get them to snap in, I did try pushing them
in before to no avail, but I will try again. Does anyone have a picture or diagram that show what the black piece looks like removed so I can see what I am working with, or would it be easier to remove the entire bumper?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to say thanks to everyone thus far. I was wondering if anyone knows the name of that black trim piece, I cannot seem to locate it to find a picture of one or so I could order a new one if needed. I may just go in to the dealer and ask what it is called and to price it. I would think this would not be a warranty issue since it was not their defect but rather a bump from another car so I am going to try to fix it.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Someone did bump it hard enough to crack my license plate cover, but that was a few weeks ago and this just happened, but I guess it could have been loose all along and is just now showing. There are tabs on the painted plastic piece, you can see what I am talking about in one of the pictures if you look close. Maybe the black piece is broken where the tabs are supposed to go in to? I will try to work with it to see if I can get them to snap in, I did try pushing them
in before to no avail, but I will try again. Does anyone have a picture or diagram that show what the black piece looks like removed so I can see what I am working with, or would it be easier to remove the entire bumper?
My suggestion, is that if it was bumped hard enough, that the taps that hold the piece inplace are actually broken, I don't know when you realized this, but its possible it took a little time to appear after it was bumped.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Upon further exam only one of the red tabs are broken and the black piece has slots for the tabs to slide in but it is odd because the slots are slightly bigger than the tabs so they don't catch. Maybe there are inserts that go in the slots to clip?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check out this thread posted by R/T Classic as he has a link which goes to the hundreds page autobody repair manual for the Challenger. I am sure you can find exactly what you need, including diagrams, for dealing with your bumper.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...epair-our-cars-may-need-stuff-30-years-59608/
This will be very useful down the road, but I only see the body parts that are made if steel in this, nothing that covers the plastic pieces. I does go into great detail though regarding the steel parts and how they are welded etc.

·
Registered
170 Posts
this happened to mine a couple weeks after I brought it home. It was not hit it just came loose and ultimately the fix was to get the whole bumper replaced and painted. The dealership took care if it no questions asked they may have known of a bad batch of bumpers or something.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like I am going to take it off this weekend because I took it to my local dealer and the parts guy and the dodge body shop guy both looked at it and even got a third opinion and they all said they had no clue. They could not find any answers in their parts program either. They wanted to sell me parts they just were not sure what I needed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went to the dealer today for this exact reason. they told be that I must have hit something and that they would not cover it. fricken BS. little tabs have ears and all are intact except for one. it just isn't holding. I am going to epoxy the tabs in place and chalk one up to dodge and their crappy cars and crappy service. I love my car but dodge makes horrible products. so many things this car has been in for, it really irritates the fire out of me. I am currently waiting on the 3RD sunroof acordian trim piece. It keeps breaking and no one seems to want to fix it. they just put a new on on and it just breaks a short while afterwards.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After taking the bumper off I fixed the black plastic piece that was loose and appeared to help support the bumper, I also put a dab of epoxy on one of the tabs and all is well now.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
After taking the bumper off I fixed the black plastic piece that was loose and appeared to help support the bumper, I also put a dab of epoxy on one of the tabs and all is well now.
Good job, hope it holds for you, see, it is always best to work on your own car. If it still moves, go back in and go deeper. Your car is much happier you are working on it than some yahoo who couldn't give a crap:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
known problem

I had to get my grill replaced at dodge body shop and they said it's a problem that they had seen several times after installing a new grill the front bumper piece began to get all warped and wavy.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I had to get my grill replaced at dodge body shop and they said it's a problem that they had seen several times ...
Exactly. My '09 Challenger did this same thing. I took it in to the dealer and who then "farmed" the job out to a local paint shop that does all of their repairs.

It was a simple fix: the replacement of my bumper was not needed. After they fixed it, it never "drooped" again.

BTW, the service tech at the dealership told me that they had fixed three(3) under warranty. This is a known problem: screw any dealership that says they won't warranty the fix because "it must of have been damaged". PM, if you need contact numbers for the local dealership's service department to back up my claim...

·
Registered
77 Posts
well, I fixed the bumper myself. $4.00 in epoxy and 10 minutes worth of work and it is done. I just used painters tape to hold the bumper in the proper place, removed the plastic covers under the hood and stuck my hand down in between the grill and radiator and slathered the clips in epoxy and let it sit a couple hours. been a couple of days and it seems to be holding well.

As far as the dealer goes, I have had problems with them in the past and even gone as far as reporting them to the BBB. . I have had enough of their antics . I bought the car with a damaged front bumper and right out of the gate they had it repaired. so the bumper has been off previously, so in my mind, that explains why the clips didn't hold. I am working on the third accordian cover on the sun roof and it still isn't fixed. they did a piss poor job with my oil filter during it's first oil change so they won't touch that part every again. Years ago when I bought a durango from them they lost the paper work and almost caused the vehicle to be repo'd.(that is why they got reported to the BBB). now they claim my car has been "bottomed" out and that is why they won't fix the bumper. NO MORE. I am letting the world know what kind of shady service I am getting. when I bought the car, their service manager "chuck" was a great guy, talked with me in person and went out of his way to make me happy. there is a new guy now that didn't even have to balls to come out and tell me to my face that he was denying fixing my car. so here is their call out and when I go up there for the 3rd sunroof repair, I will show them this thread and bid them good day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts