Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've been thinking about getting sequential lights for my challenger for the last 3 months so I go to the dealer ship ready to order them and after waiting for 15 mins the guys say that there being recalled because of causing the cars to catch on fire so my question is how has this went with you guys and should I still go coward with doing this

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
And what about those of us that ordered and installed these defective units? Anyway to get reimbursed or specifics regarding removing them - or should we just wait until our cars catch fire and the lawyers get involved?

JFF:D

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
I'm thinking if there truly was a fire risk that Dodge would do more than just discontinue them and issue some kind of safety notice or recall.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm thinking if there truly was a fire risk that Dodge would do more than just discontinue them and issue some kind of safety notice or recall.
Yes, many were sold by Dodge and installed by Dodge. I would think (hope) that if they were at risk, they would cover their a$$. But then again, GM and Toyota waited until how many were killed before admitting anything was wrong.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I would imagine the fire risk would come from holding them on to long at lights and stop and go traffic...the math is: oem setup uses 4 lamps, that is what the circuit was designed for...adding 4 more lamps on the same circuit can be a fire hazard due to the gauge of the feeding circuit wiring...it's all about amp draw, wire gauge, and length of wire run, not to mention the switch/switches involved and their amp rating(s)...IMO...can you install these kits and have no problems, "maybe" all depends on certain factors like how long you keep the lamps burning (brake held on)...I for one normally just plain don't hold my foot on the brake at lights (or pretty much on any car I'm in) it's just seems useless (more then likely lazy) unless your the last in line and at risk to get rear ended... I am for the most part a defensive driver and pay 100% of my surrounds unless the wife distracts me by pouring boring into my ear "roll eyes"(but that's just me), holding them on uselessly just makes you replace them a lot sooner, time and money not well spent...just my 2 cents and common knowledge

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Remember adding 4 brake lights increases amperage on the TIPM and those factory power modules are expensive to replace ($1100).

I still have 1st iteration of the WE aftermarket kit (uninstalled at the moment). It was programmed to shut off the 4 outer stop lights after 12 seconds. I end up removing our WE controllers because while waiting at intersections LEOs would notice the outer stop lights going out. Really got tired of letting off the brake peddle and reapplying to reset the 12 second countdown timer.

Kits today allow all stop bulbs to stay on longer and that is where the problem of over load comes from. Those additional 4 new inner stop lights must draw power directly from the battery and not the original circuit. Unfortunately the factory TIPM amperage for rears was predetermined for safety reasons and is not consumer accessible.

Several truck forums who were adding trailers/off road lights mentioned trying to find a dealer knowledgeable enough to update/change the factory TIPM for light amperage ...unsure if Challenger's have this option but they do sell a factory trailer hitches for SXTs and R/Ts?

I'll just probably end up adding one of those aftermarket trailer light kits (they sell kits with factory tail light connectors plus the kit draws power from the battery instead) and retain the 4 WE center sockets. Just won't have rear strobe effects but centers will light up for stop and for turn indicators.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I sent mine back to Web Electronics (WE) because if you were in a funeral or Parade and had the flashers on after 10 or 15 minutes they would become erratic and start and stop blinking only partially blink you never knew what it was going to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts