Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2010 Challenger R/T and was given a sequentail tail light package from Southern Car Parts as a gift for the holidays. I was wondering if there is anyone on this site in the Hampton Roads area (Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia) that has personnally installed this package or had the package installed on their Challenger. I have read through the threads and many say it is easy and many say that is is not so easy. Any help would be appreciated, as I am not fully convinced that I should install this package at all with my very limited knowledge.

Thanks,
Trent
Newport News, Va

·
Registered
196 Posts
A good list of tools needed to do a smooth install would be helpful to.

·
Registered
741 Posts
it is pretty much a straight forward install only thing i can say is to print out the instructions directly from the webelectric web site though unless they changed it
the sheet that comes with the kit doesn't show you very much.

also the only thing i can add to the list of tools they give you is a small dead blow hammer or rubber mallet to get the center light section out, a couple of taps on the bolts that holds the section in and the center bar comes right out.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I just installed the webelectronics..it's not "that" hard but it's no thirty minute or hour job imo, I was even slightly rushing and it took me around 3 hours..if I did again I could do it a lot quicker, but the first time...yeah...

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Install is not bad. Read over the instructions. If you are comfortable removing the tail light assembly, the hard part is done.....

·
Registered
741 Posts
no way is it a 3 hour job,45 minutes to an hour at best with proper instructions
which is why i said to print them directly from the web site

·
Registered
74 Posts
Took me about an hour and a half, but I went slowly so as to not make any mistakes. It's pretty straightforward. I do recommend you have someone available to hold the trunk steady during the center light bar removal. Too hard to hold the trunk lid while having to grab the light assy with two hands. Also, i bought a set of panel removal tools (plastic), so as to not damage the plastic snaps that are everywhere. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd share my 2 cents on this wiring kit.

I just installed the wiring kit on my 2014 challenger which has a trunk release button. It is extremely easy to install, although you might have to read instructions a few times over to fully understand, sometimes it is vague.

The absolute hardest part is removing the taillight assembly from the trunk lid and this isn't very difficult. Once you have all the screws and nuts out (2 torx, 2 plastic rivets, 4 plastic nuts) you just pull the assembly off, but it's snapped in place so you have to give it a decent tug to free it, making sure not to pull on the wiring. The worst part is removing the trunk liner, there are about 5-7 of those plastic rivets you have to remove and they're very difficult to remove. I ended up just pulling the liner down and the rivets just popped through the lining, then I used needle nose pliers to pry them out of the trunk so I could reattach the lining when I was done.

Secondly, with the trunk release button you need to splice the trunk harness into the wiring for the trunk release button. Unfortunately this means snipping the OEM harness off, so if you want to put back the OEM harness you will need to resplice those wires. They are very short and I had absolutely no give with 1 of the wires, so you'll need to use 16 gauge wire to resplice it if you decide to install the OEM harness again.

If you have the trunk release button and you need to snip off the OEM harness make sure to snip it closest to the connector. You want to have as much wire length as possible. There are 2 wires to splice for the trunk button, black/green and tan/green. The tan/green one gave me about 3mm of give after i spliced it, so it's fairly tight. The black/green one was much more forgiving.

All in all, took about 45 minutes. What you'll need:
- torx bit to remove 2 torx screws on the trunk taillight.
- Flat head screwdriver to pry out plastic rivets.
- Electrical tape to cover up your splices
- Wire stripper and wire cutter
- clean rubber/latex gloves to remove the bulbs, you don't want to touch them with your hands directly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts