Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the kit in the mail today, but I can't even get past the first page of the instructions (which seems to be very well written). I can't get the 1st connector of the outboard tail light. It says to slide the red lock and push on the cam lock and it will slide off. I slid the red tab, but the cam lock is not releasing. I even got the tail light housing off the car so I could get a good look and i still can't figure it out. Here's a pic of the connector.

thanks,

Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Man don't bust my bubble like that. I've got my set setting here and everone says how easy it is to install and your saying it's not going to be that easy.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like the older I get (57), the more difficult things get for me. I'm not as strong as I used to be.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Push the red release button the other way and it should come right off. i did mine in about 1.5 hours and am slightly older than you. Confident that you can install the harness as well. I prefered the on line directions which are the same as the printed directions that came with the harness only the pictures were clear and easier for me to visualize.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried everything I could think of. I even had the red clip completely off and the connector wouldn't come off. I'm thinking that maybe I don't need to take it off. There's enough play in the wiring to allow me to remove the hosing from the body. Now I can't figure out how to get the bulbs out of the housing. I need a buddy to pull my head out. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Pull the red tab all the way out and push down on the back center of the connector and pull. The hardest part is getting the tail light assembly off. Definitely helped having my son yanking on it with me

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried that. It will move about a couple mm. I guess I need a second pair of hands. I tend to over-analyze things.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah it snaps into place so you have to push down on the release just a tad to get it out. Sorry for your frustrations.

·
Registered
568 Posts
When you get to the part about taking off the center taillamp assembly, don't do by yanking the way the directions call for. Loosen all the wing nuts three full turns, then rap on the studs with a wooden mallet back and forth until the taillamp assembly loosens. Remove the wing nuts completely and the assembly will pop off in your hands.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you get to the part about taking off the center taillamp assembly, don't do by yanking the way the directions call for. Loosen all the wing nuts three full turns, then rap on the studs with a wooden mallet back and forth until the taillamp assembly loosens. Remove the wing nuts completely and the assembly will pop off in your hands.
I whacked mine with a 2' long 2 x 4. It also helps to remove the two "Pushpins" on the bottom (between the wingnuts). Anyway; we got it working. :) I be :pimp:ing now. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Took me an hour and am mechanically challenged. My best advice is that no matter what kit u use (drake or web electric). Go to YouTube and watch drake install video. It was a lifesaver and I had my laptop in the garage every step of the way. They address all the aspects of taking apart the car in a really easy to understand format . Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Took me an hour and am mechanically challenged. My best advice is that no matter what kit u use (drake or web electric). Go to YouTube and watch drake install video. It was a lifesaver and I had my laptop in the garage every step of the way. They address all the aspects of taking apart the car in a really easy to understand format . Good luck!
I've looked all over YouTube, cannot find the install video. A little more info or link please. PM is fine.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Search challenger sequential taillights and scroll through them. Drake muscle car has one of their tech post a great install video

·
Registered
999 Posts
I whacked mine with a 2' long 2 x 4. It also helps to remove the two "Pushpins" on the bottom (between the wingnuts). Anyway; we got it working. :) I be :pimp:ing now. :bigthumb:
thats the way to do it!

·
Registered
681 Posts
For the original question of how to get the harness loose from the right side taillight...pull the red tab out. Push the cam lock release down with your thumb and wiggle the connector until it comes out. It is really in there tight so keep wiggling it. It will come out. Then remove the bulb and save it.
I put my WebElectric kit on in about 1-1/2 hours and took a dinner break for about 20 minutes of that! Good luck!
Best appearance mod yet!
Graphic attached below

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I decided to tackle my webelectric install today. Connectors were def. tight. Other than that, no issues. Took about an hour to have them working.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Wow! That is kinda cool.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts