Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this video in which a sequential manual 6-speed transmission is explained by the designers. The transmission is quite impressive. If I had a 6-speed manual car I'd be tempted to fit one of these in my car. Well, at least until I learned of what the cost would be. I don't know what it is but I'm sure it ain't cheap.

But for those cars that can use a sequential transmission and require one that can handle quarter mile and road course use this one bears looking into.

The video below also has a section towards the end that highlights an aftermarket clutch.

Link to video:

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
672 Posts
Watched that last night. Pretty cool stuff!

My question is, could it be street driven? My guess is not.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Watched that last night. Pretty cool stuff!

My question is, could it be street driven? My guess is not.
Not sure why it could not be street driven. Finnegan put one in that lowered C10 pick up truck he picked up and I think plans on driving it on the street. He will or has also made considerable mods to the C10 to convert it from a pretty much strictly show vehicle to a vehicle that can be driven on the street, and 1/4 mile, too.

But if street operation is a priority I'd check with transmission manufacturer about the suitablity of the transmission in primarily a street vehicle.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Not to be rude, but Pro-Stock uses a transmission called Liberty. They are a clutchless manual design with a vertigate. A sequential trans have all gears in a push or pull fashion. Quite different than a Vertigate. That said, a sequential can be used on the street but is primarily for racing applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,441 Posts
Not sure why it could not be street driven. Finnegan put one in that lowered C10 pick up truck he picked up and I think plans on driving it on the street. He will or has also made considerable mods to the C10 to convert it from a pretty much strictly show vehicle to a vehicle that can be driven on the street, and 1/4 mile, too.

But if street operation is a priority I'd check with transmission manufacturer about the suitablity of the transmission in primarily a street vehicle.
it would work for a street driven vehicle - think of having an A8 in full manual mode and using the paddle shifters to shift up / down to get the desired gear

its also similar to how a motorcycle transmission is shifted sequentially - you click up / down to get to the gear you want

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,703 Posts
Not to be rude, but Pro-Stock uses a transmission called Liberty. They are a clutchless manual design with a vertigate. A sequential trans have all gears in a push or pull fashion. Quite different than a Vertigate. That said, a sequential can be used on the street but is primarily for racing applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You weren't being rude.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger RT
119 Posts
Just out of curiosity I went and looked at the price on that 6XD gearbox...it starts at $17,000.

Owie.

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
672 Posts
Not sure why it could not be street driven.
Not saying it can't be used on the street, but I've always heard that a "dog box" transmission can't (or shouldn't?) be. I think maybe they constantly have to be under power to stay in gear and they pop out of gear when just cruising? Just seems like a clutches manual is not something to use on the street.

Finnegan put one in that lowered C10 pick up truck he picked up and I think plans on driving it on the street. He will or has also made considerable mods to the C10 to convert it from a pretty much strictly show vehicle to a vehicle that can be driven on the street, and 1/4 mile, too.

I agree that it seems like if Finnegan is putting one in the C10, that he intends to run it on the street. It was why I went to the 6XD website to see if they talked about it, but didn't find anything.

If they have to be moving to shift, you would have to be careful to downshift to 1st gear before the light.

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
672 Posts
it would work for a street driven vehicle - think of having an A8 in full manual mode and using the paddle shifters to shift up / down to get the desired gear

its also similar to how a motorcycle transmission is shifted sequentially - you click up / down to get to the gear you want
That was what I thought of when they demonstrated the air shift setup. Except it is still a manual. I was very intrigued by that.

BTW, it reminds me that several years ago, I ran across a mechanism that would electronically shift a T56 for you. You still had to work the clutch pedal, but when you did it shifted for you. You would pick a gear (up or down) and then kick the clutch and it would go to that gear. I didn't have a T56 (TR6060) then and haven't thought about it since until just now.

Not the level of the trans in the new GT500 that I was reading about last night, but still kind of cool.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Agree. I really didn't see anything in the video about the transmission that would suggest it is unsuitable for the street. The C10 Finnegan is putting it will be a street vehicle albeit I'm sure it will see some track use.

'course, I still have to add that the transmission manufacturer should be contacted regarding the use of the transmission in a street vehicle and what if any special precautions -- transmission cooler? -- need be taken.

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
672 Posts
Guess I was helping to spread an internet myth - Dog box on the street?| Grassroots Motorsports forum |

Doesn't mean there aren't drawbacks to a dog box trans, but seems to be better than I thought. Page 2 has a video of a guy driving around in one and I wouldn't have thought the trans was special if I hadn't know what the video was about and the guy wasn't talking about it.

Note that this is related to the dog box, not sequential.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,106 Posts
From what I see, very noisy. You can't skip gears. In most race cars the clutch is rarely used except to get into 1st, but most shifts are at full throttle as well. Need maintenance often, and yes, very expensive. I'm sure it could be done, but it would be a lot of work to be shifting all the time at lower speeds/off throttle

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
17,441 Posts
Yeah but A8 is still the best...manuals suck!!!
drove a friend's SP Wide Body (A8) after we put ZL-1 addon side skirts - still feels weird to drive a Challenger with an automatic to me.

all mine are M6

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah but A8 is still the best...manuals suck!!!
Agree, too a point.

Really appreciate the A8 in my Hellcat. I think this is the best transmission for this setup.

But manual transmissions have their place.

The A8 is a fantastic piece of hardware, but it is very heavy. And complex. And expensive.

It is easier to design a manual transmission that is adaptable to a number of different vehicles compared the A8 which is pretty much limited to the vehicle it came in. In the video a variation of the transmission was shown with it laid on its side to be better suited to road course cars which run with much less ground clearance.

There is less loss of HP due to the manual than the automatic.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From what I see, very noisy. You can't skip gears. In most race cars the clutch is rarely used except to get into 1st, but most shifts are at full throttle as well. Need maintenance often, and yes, very expensive. I'm sure it could be done, but it would be a lot of work to be shifting all the time at lower speeds/off throttle

A Guy
One can row down an extra gear or two or 3, just like a motorcycle transmission. Or multiple tugs on the lever can in essence skip intermediate gears.

One of the first things I noticed was the straight cut gears. I'm sure that's going to be a noisy transmission. But straight cut gears are more efficient as there is no axial loading.

Not the transmission for a limo service that's for sure.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,445 Posts
drove a friend's SP Wide Body (A8) after we put ZL-1 addon side skirts - still feels weird to drive a Challenger with an automatic to me.

all mine are M6
To me, an automatic in a muscle car is a awkward as driving a Jeep Wrangler that is automatic. I guess I was just born to like manual trans. I remember watching John Wick and realizing both the cars he drove (the mustang and the chevelle) were manuals. I wonder how the movie scenes would change if the sound effects were of a a fast shifting automatic?

LOL I am getting my movies crossed...the chevelle I am thinking of was in Jack Reacher.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
The new Corvette 8-speed automatic is actually a dual 4-speed manual sequential setup that uses solenoids to make the shifts and work the clutch for 8 forward speeds. It uses 2 shafts with 4 staggered gears on each side to make the shifts faster.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts