Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some guys on here have the webelectric kit to make all eight lights on the back functional for turning and flash in sequence rather than in block. Also like many others I have been frustrated that Webelectric programmed them to blink so darn fast (with no user adjustment possible), so fast that it practically isn't sequential at all when compared to the real factory versions back in the day. I've been fiddling with an idea to add 50W 6ohm Load Resistors to the mix to slow the blink rate down. Does anyone more well versed in electrical engineering have any idea if my idea would work?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not having any direct knowledge of the sequential system, I will hazard an opinion.

Most blinkers are electronically controlled. The blink rate may be controlled by selected resistor/capacitor combinations or by some sort of microcontroller and thereby wouldn't be affected by the load on the system. Adding a 6 Ohm resistor to the setup would only cause increased current draw and not help with your blink rate. The old time blinkers used the load of the llight bulbs to open and close a bimetallic strip that would heat up, bend a bit and break the connection, turning off the lights. When it cooled down, it would straighten out again and cause the lights to come back on. rinse and repeat...

Is there any documentation available? Schematics?

If the system works as I described it, there is little you can do to slow it down unless you have access to schematics or the micro-controller .source code.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,064 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my God they look so Fordish.... :D

:IThankYou: If you say so. Chrysler was doing it too in the late 60s on some of their vehicles and I think having four lights on each side where only the outer two actually blink is such a wasted opportunity on the Challenger. Chrysler wants to keep their 11 year old design fresh, this would be a very easy thing to option at the factory to add some "pizazz".

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Do a search for

Webelectric hyper blink

or similar. At least with the sequential, and LEDs, load resistors is the suggested "fix"

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f19/installed-sequential-turn-signals-90363/

A Guy
So basically, because there is no turn signal relay, there's no way to adjust it. TIPM strikes again. Though I suppose anything is possible if you really are *that good* at wiring schematics. I'm not. Lame. :argue:

edit: I wonder if I could get around that by getting more technical and wiring in time delay relays that can be configured in the millisecond range. So for example;

4 3 2 1 RR 1 2 3 4 <---- these are the lights on the rear of the car normally

What if I were to;

4(D) 3(D) 2(D) 1 RR 1 2(D) 3(D) 4(D)

The first one on each side doesn't need to be delayed; the proceeding three do. Perhaps that would accomplish what I want?

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
The Mopar kit had a nice sequence rate and had it on my 14 and no issues, been discontinued a few years now though.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Mopar kit had a nice sequence rate and had it on my 14 and no issues, been discontinued a few years now though.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Yeah, I wish they still made them and had better QC. It seems on the face of it the Mopar kits had a higher failure rate and much more difficult warranty process. Here's what I'm thinking - utilizing 6 time delay circuits, I could achieve what I want.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12v-24v-LED-Display-Cycle-Delay-Timing-Timer-Relay-Switch-Turn-ON-OFF-Module-/122041556572

These are adjustable from 100 miliseconds delay and up. Does this dumb idea sound terrible yet :).

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
I installed the Web Electric kit on my 2013. I never had any trouble with it except the rare occasion when one side would "blink" rapidly, as if I had a burned out bulb. Once I shut the car off and it would reset itself, all would be well on my next trip.

So my question to you is, do you have any burned out tail lights?? That in itself will mess up the system because suddenly there isn't enough of a load to make the lights blink slower.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I fooled with this a few years ago. The inner bulb is driven directly by the car blinker circuit. The next three bulbs simply have a delayed turn on. Sort of a fail safe. If the delay circuit quits at least you still have one bulb operational. To slow down the sequence you would need to reduce the blink rate of the first bulb. According to webelectric the sequential rate of the other bulbs is automatically adjusted to the primary bulbs blink rate. So my experiment was to slow down the primary bulb blink rate to 1/2 speed. The webelectric circuit looked like it tried to slow down the other bulbs but it couldn't match the 1/2 speed. IF it worked I was thinking of some kind of flip flop circuit that would keep the primary bulb on through one on/off blink cycle then off the next on/off blink cycle. Since that didn't work going further would have required a lot more engineering and fabrication than I thought it was worth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts