Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I replaced the alternator on my 2012 Challenger SRT8 and installed a new serpentine belt. Granted, I missed getting it under the idler, drove it 1.5 miles and the great folks at O'Rilley pointed out the mistake and we put on a new belt. About 5 miles later, I get all kinds of warning lights, pull over, pop the hood and the belt is loose. It is loose because the pully ring separated from the crankshaft pully and slid back, throwing the belt. One mechanic I spoke with said in 21 years he has never seen this. Have any members seen/heard of this? If so, got any idea how much $ it is going to take to correct? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
Sounds like the harmonic balancer has failed.
What was the reason for replacing the alternator?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a battery charge light one evening, which cleared. The next day I drove about a mile from the house and got the ABS light and smelled what I thought was brake material. Got back to the house, opened the hood, smoke was coming out of the alternator. Removed it and took it to my local rebuilder; it was a total loss so I installed a rebuilt unit. Thought it was a pretty straight forward repair. The car has 60k miles.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
Only reason I asked was that the pulley / harmonic balancer could have been slipping, resulting in a low charging condition.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
its not common but there's been instances on this forum with older cars and its happened with some new ones.

much of the time the inner dampener ring has fallen out.

The inner / outer rings are bonded to a rubber ring - if the adhesive fails it will separate

·
Registered
238 Posts
its not common but there's been instances on this forum with older cars and its happened with some new ones.

much of the time the inner dampener ring has fallen out.

The inner / outer rings are bonded to a rubber ring - if the adhesive fails it will separate
Agree with Hal a few forum members have reported this same issue, some on brand new cars, unfortunately the solution was to replace the harmonic balancer

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack Charger [email protected] 96
235 Posts
Got a balancer off my Scat 18 Charger 392. Miles when taken off are were like 38k. Let me know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After doing some research, I determined that this is not something I want to tackle in my driveway in the Florida summer. I decided to tow it to the dealership where I purchased it ( they do excellent work and have been great to work with). I was surprised, however, when the repair representative said they could not give me an estimate up front; they would have to basically charge me time and material. They will give me a call prior to starting work with what they think it might take. I thought there was a book they went by with estimated labor charges for basically every repair they do (brakes, water pump, power steering pump etc.) You would think pulling/replacing a harmonic balancer would be included since you have to pull it for other things like replacing the front crankshaft seal. Heck, there are shops on line that will give you a quote and do it at your house. Ultimately, he indicated they start the clock when they start, stop it when it is done (at $139/hr). Does this sound right?

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack Charger [email protected] 96
235 Posts
It is only a crank pulley. That's it, drop fans pull pulley remnants and reinstall replacement. Now HHP sells the Slp underdrive pulley, 25%. This is good for about 10/10 to their rear wheels. A little pricey but you have to do it one way or another.

·
Registered
238 Posts
After doing some research, I determined that this is not something I want to tackle in my driveway in the Florida summer. I decided to tow it to the dealership where I purchased it ( they do excellent work and have been great to work with). I was surprised, however, when the repair representative said they could not give me an estimate up front; they would have to basically charge me time and material. They will give me a call prior to starting work with what they think it might take. I thought there was a book they went by with estimated labor charges for basically every repair they do (brakes, water pump, power steering pump etc.) You would think pulling/replacing a harmonic balancer would be included since you have to pull it for other things like replacing the front crankshaft seal. Heck, there are shops on line that will give you a quote and do it at your house. Ultimately, he indicated they start the clock when they start, stop it when it is done (at $139/hr). Does this sound right?
Mmmm yeah something doesn’t sound right there, start when we start and finish when we are done and then tell you how long it took and how much it costs, nope I am out that doesn’t work for me.
All dealers have standard times for replacing any part in order to provide estimates, they should be able to give you an estimate before any work starts. I would be weary of this dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,719 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My concern is they have never done this repair on your model, so are hedging their bets

A Guy
Thanks for the replies. Red flag for sure. I called another dealer in the area and was immediately quoted 2.9 hours which sounds appropriate based on my research. The dealer I am using knows to not start any work until they call me with an estimate. We'll see how that comes back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts