Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

A little intro of my mods.

I have custom ECU. And custom tune.

When I drive up a hill with custom tune on it, it sometimes changes gear and goes one lower with a hard jerk in the car. And I get an error message for a few seconds and then goes off. The error message is "Service Throttle body response ". This is like an error message that pops up for a few seconds, say 5-10 seconds.

But when i put the stock tune, the car drives just normal. I have done a fairly research putting my stock tune back and forth. This only happens when i have the custom tune in the car.

Have anyone experienced this before?

I called up my tuning company and they said, I probably need a throttle body relearn process from the dealership. When I called the dealership, they asked $150 for throttle relearn process.

Any suggestions?

Alien Cop.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
Hello All,

A little intro of my mods.

I have custom ECU. And custom tune.

When I drive up a hill with custom tune on it, it sometimes changes gear and goes one lower with a hard jerk in the car. And I get an error message for a few seconds and then goes off. The error message is "Service Throttle body response ". This is like an error message that pops up for a few seconds, say 5-10 seconds.

But when i put the stock tune, the car drives just normal. I have done a fairly research putting my stock tune back and forth. This only happens when i have the custom tune in the car.

Have anyone experienced this before?

I called up my tuning company and they said, I probably need a throttle body relearn process from the dealership. When I called the dealership, they asked $150 for throttle relearn process.

Any suggestions?

Alien Cop.
IF there is no procedure for this in your owners manual the odds are the throttle is self calibrating. Sort of makes sense. My 2002 and 2003 Porsche cars had a eGas calibration procedure documented but one would hope that by 2018/2019 (or even sooner) automakers would have come up with an automatic calibrating throttle.

(There is no mention of this in my 2018 Hellcat's owners manual nor do I recall seeing one in my 2018 Mini JCW owners manual.)

Curious I did a search on this subject and all the (Dodge) reset/calibration procedures say to "turn the key on". This suggests this procedure is for older models that well that require a key be physically used to start the engine. There is no throttle reset/calibration procedure -- that I can find -- for cars that have a push button start.

Here is a reset procedure for cars that use a key in the ignition to start the engine:

METHOD #1

1) Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" (not start).

2) Wait for all idiot lights to go out. Check Engine Light may remain on.

3) Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.

4) Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it's all the way back up.

5) Turn the ignition key to "OFF".

6) Start the engine.

If your car does not use a key but a push button you might try the above, but of course just push the start button with your foot off the brake to turn the ignition to "on" then follow the procedure from #2.

You can also effect a reset by judicious fuse pulling but I don't know which fuse or fuses are in the throttle/ECU circuits.

There is the big red switch reset, which in this case is a battery disconnect.

I'm not a fan of fuse pulling. The less one messes with the electrics/electronics the less chance there is of static discharge into a very sensitive electronic controller.

And I do not like to disconnect the battery unless required before working on the car or to of course replace a weak or bad battery.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Rockstar,

Thanks for your post. But i did the procedure, however it did not work. I still get the throttle body error, when i go up the hill at 3000 rpm and while holding the gad steady while going up for quite some time. It lowers the gear automatically and the error message is for a fraction of seconds. Not sure what would be my next step.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
I don't think the throttle relearn works on the +2015 models but this guy does this trick that he swears makes a difference in throttle behavior but again it is a charger.

I would shop around as it should not cost $150 to do a relearn. Or find a shop with Witech equipment, although higher end OBD scan tools like Maxisys might be able to do it. Heck, my HP tuners can do the throttle relearn.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,558 Posts
Sure sounds like a tune issue...

A Guy

Reactions: Alien Cop

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,558 Posts
BBK instructions, last page

A Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think the throttle relearn works on the +2015 models but this guy does this trick that he swears makes a difference in throttle behavior but again it is a charger.

I would shop around as it should not cost $150 to do a relearn. Or find a shop with Witech equipment, although higher end OBD scan tools like Maxisys might be able to do it. Heck, my HP tuners can do the throttle relearn.

I did what this guy askd us to do. But i still see that gear malfunction while going up the hill. I am also not sure why is this only happening for custom tune. Initially i thought, it would be a throttle body thing and might need a clean up, but as it is not happening in stock tune, I would say, its either relearn, calibration or a tune thing. I spoke to the tune guy and he recommended me to do a throttle relearn and if it still persists, he would check the tune. But he also checked it from his end and said everything looks cool. So he recommended me to do a throttle relearn first.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure sounds like a tune issue...

A Guy

I might be a tune issue, but my guy double checked the tune code and said everything looks good, and suggested me to go with throttle relearn from a dealership.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, if the problem goes away with the stock tune it might be the air tables are off...hard to tell without comparing the modified tune to stock.

My guy compared the stock tune with custom tune and it seems no wrong in there.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
My guy compared the stock tune with custom tune and it seems no wrong in there.
I find it odd that a relearn would be needed when the custom tune is loaded but not needed when the stock tune is loaded? Is the PCM tune only modified or did the tuner also modify the TCM for the trans?

Thinking some more about this, I wonder if the custom tune maxes out all of the trans torque management settings (was standard practice but now some tuners are saying that is not a good idea) and if it does that could be causing some problems?

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I find it odd that a relearn would be needed when the custom tune is loaded but not needed when the stock tune is loaded? Is the PCM tune only modified or did the tuner also modify the TCM for the trans?

Thinking some more about this, I wonder if the custom tune maxes out all of the trans torque management settings (was standard practice but now some tuners are saying that is not a good idea) and if it does that could be causing some problems?

here is the thing, when I load, they say the TCM is also modified, but while loading the tune to Diablo T1000, a wierd thing happened.

Diablo says, TCM custom is same as TCM stock. It matches. When I asked to my tuner company, they cross checked and told me that the tune is different, however, diablo detects the TCM as same. The PCM is different and verified by Diablo T1000 tuner.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
Yeah, this is a short coming of the Diablo Sport tuner...very limited as to what you can do and see tune-wise.

I would talk with the tuner and ask him if the relearn does not resolve the problem what would be the backup plan?

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, this is a short coming of the Diablo Sport tuner...very limited as to what you can do and see tune-wise.

I would talk with the tuner and ask him if the relearn does not resolve the problem what would be the backup plan?

Thank you Sir. I already emailed him this morning. He said he is going to create a new PCM and TCM out of the stock tune again.

But here are afew questions that is running to my mind:

• Should I go for throttle relearn process or throttle calibration?
  • What is the difference between throttle relearn that we do pressing the start button and what the dealership would do at their end?
  • What is the difference between the two?
    Dealership is asking for $150, so does it sound right?
Any help is highly appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
I thought learn/calibration were one in the same as the PCM is taught the closed and open conditions...basically syncs Pedal and ETC? Although tuners can alter or "calibrate" the airflow tables in the PCM, dealerships don't.

Unless the dealership will flash a new PCM calibration file if there is a TSB (usually the specified labor time is ~0.2hrs) for your year.

An ETC learn takes seconds but most shops charge 1/2 hr minimum labor or a diagnostic fee. I had a coworker have his PCM flashed and he was charged $75...$150 seems excessive.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought learn/calibration were one in the same as the PCM it taught the closed and open conditions...basically syncs Pedal and ETC? Although tuners can alter or "calibrate" the airflow tables in the PCM, dealerships don't.

Unless the dealership will flash a new PCM calibration file if there is a TSB (usually the specified labor time is ~0.2hrs) for your year.

An ETC learn takes seconds but most shops charge 1/2 hr minimum labor or a diagnostic fee. I had a coworker have his PCM flashed and he was charged $75...$150 seems excessive.

Perfect. thank you so very much for your wonderful inout. I will get the throttle body and negotiate with them. I will kepp yall posted. :)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,558 Posts
I believe there is only one process also, and I'd be surprised if what the dealer will do accomplishes anything different than that procedure you can do

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
AFAIK the ETC learn can only be performed by an OBD2 tool, at least on the +2015 models. Wish there was a definitive answer to this. With HP tuners it is done through VCM scanner and the car must be turned to ACC and HP tells you when to depress/release the pedal.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe there is only one process also, and I'd be surprised if what the dealer will do accomplishes anything different than that procedure you can do

A Guy

I am not sure but I have the datalog if anyone wants to see.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts