Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, after pulling the power steering fuse on my 2015, I now have a Service Power Steering message on the center display and an illuminated warning light. The car drives fine and there has been no change in performance of the electric power steering system. I believe the steering simply needs to be recalibrated. I’ve read that turning the wheels lock to lock with the ignition on (but not running) is required to recalibrate the steering, however, none of my attempts have been successful in clearing the code. Does anyone know of a specific procedure to reset the system?

·
Super Moderator
12,554 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine running

https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f108/recalibrate-steering-576929/#post7465985

If that doesn't work, as counterintuitive as it sounds, try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a while.

A Guy
Thanks A Guy, but the methods suggested were no bueno for clearing the steering system code. Do you think there could be some xx seconds time requirement for remaining in the right and left locked positions, or maybe doing multiple right and left swings? I've tried numerous combinations, and nothing seems to work. I hate to go to the dealer for something that driving wise is a non-issue.

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
Thanks A Guy, but the methods suggested were no bueno for clearing the steering system code. Do you think there could be some xx seconds time requirement for remaining in the right and left locked positions, or maybe doing multiple right and left swings? I've tried numerous combinations, and nothing seems to work. I hate to go to the dealer for something that driving wise is a non-issue.
Do you still have p/s assist?

I recall when I did a cam swap on a '15 SRT 392, there were warnings for ADS suspension, ParkSense, Blind Spot / Cross Path - as the battery needed to be disconnected for all that work...

The ESP / BAS / ABS errors were cleared by doing the lock to lock procedure (and in the thread A Guy linked).

what I recall is all the other errors, they cleared after a few minutes of running on their own.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hal, the steering is completely normal, and I can still change the stiffness in sport mode. I’m sure it’s all related to pulling fuse 39, which I will never touch again. There are probably some error codes that have been set, but I can’t retrieve or erase them with a standard DTC reader.

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Hal, the steering is completely normal, and I can still change the stiffness in sport mode. I’m sure it’s all related to pulling fuse 39, which I will never touch again. There are probably some error codes that have been set, but I can’t retrieve or erase them with a standard DTC reader.

I will stop short of recommending you try any of these things, since it's your car and all, but if it were my car, I think I would do one or more of the following:
- pull the fuse back out and verify it is still good and didn't accidentally blow when reinserting the first time.
- try a different fuse of the same amperage. If no extras in that size, swap with another in fuse-box.
- pull both battery cables and leave them unattached for > 5 minutes, reinstall on battery, and then do the steering realignment procedure.

If none of that did anything, I reckon I'd acquiesce and take it into the local dealership's service department and let them have a go at it.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
There have been multiple recommendations to pull your battery cable for 10 or so minutes. Try that and report back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Janson
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing