Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know when I first created my account I read something about creating a post in the introduction thread...but I could not find it, until now!

I live in Italy and work for the US Army as a Tactical Communication System Engineer/Admin/Technician/jack-of-all-trades. I love living in Italy but they have all these tiny cars with tiny little engines in them. I like muscle and power. I currently drive a big ol 2007 GMC Sierra SLT and that makes those little cars get out of the way!

To be honest I have always been a GM guy. I have been driving GMC trucks for 15 years or more and the last new car I bought was a 2000 Pontiac Firebird. I sold that right before moving back to Italy (yes this is my second time here!!) That was my wife’s car and she was very upset to give up the "hot rod". I did tell her that after we got to Italy I would get her another hot rod. Before we flew over we test-drove a Magnum SRT8 and she really like it. After we got here we looked on line at the Camero and kind of set that as the Firebird’s replacement as the Magnum was just a little too big! But what to do until 2010! So after it was announced that the Challenger was to be sold I showed my wife a few photos from one of the early car shows and her reactions was, "Damn that is sexy...I want that one!" So I was cleared hot...but now how do I actually get one? I went to the dealer that sales new cars overseas to Military and government civilians to check on how and when and how much $$$ this sexy baby would cost. This was December...answer was “not yet and not for a long while.” Jan...Nothing Feb-Mar...Nothing. April..."we got 20 but we're not taking orders yet!" End of April..."we are having a raffle for the opportunity to purchase, do you wanna put your name in?'' May...they have their silly raffle (I never win anything and figure it was back to the Camaro) and by the grace of God I got picked...I was the first name drawn as it turned out. Well with that kind of karma this has to be a dream made in heaven right? But now I have 48 hours to tell them yes or no...I don't get to pick options, colors or anything. I must drop 10% and they will tell me the options and color later. Well we really wanted orange and figured black was okay and silver was doable. So okay here is $4500. A week later luck strikes again…Hemi Orange with all three options, here is your VIN! So now we wait, it took forever to get to D1 and I know that there is a 3 to 4 week boat ride plus additional shipping time after the car has been built...so I am ready for the long wait but dang can't it get here sooner!

Long live MOPAR!!!

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
You know when I first created my account I read something about creating a post in the introduction thread...but I could not find it, until now!

I live in Italy and work for the US Army as a Tactical Communication System Engineer/Admin/Technician/jack-of-all-trades. I love living in Italy but they have all these tiny cars with tiny little engines in them. I like muscle and power. I currently drive a big ol 2007 GMC Sierra SLT and that makes those little cars get out of the way!

To be honest I have always been a GM guy. I have been driving GMC trucks for 15 years or more and the last new car I bought was a 2000 Pontiac Firebird. I sold that right before moving back to Italy (yes this is my second time here!!) That was my wife’s car and she was very upset to give up the "hot rod". I did tell her that after we got to Italy I would get her another hot rod. Before we flew over we test-drove a Magnum SRT8 and she really like it. After we got here we looked on line at the Camero and kind of set that as the Firebird’s replacement as the Magnum was just a little too big! But what to do until 2010! So after it was announced that the Challenger was to be sold I showed my wife a few photos from one of the early car shows and her reactions was, "Damn that is sexy...I want that one!" So I was cleared hot...but now how do I actually get one? I went to the dealer that sales new cars overseas to Military and government civilians to check on how and when and how much $$$ this sexy baby would cost. This was December...answer was “not yet and not for a long while.” Jan...Nothing Feb-Mar...Nothing. April..."we got 20 but we're not taking orders yet!" End of April..."we are having a raffle for the opportunity to purchase, do you wanna put your name in?'' May...they have their silly raffle (I never win anything and figure it was back to the Camaro) and by the grace of God I got picked...I was the first name drawn as it turned out. Well with that kind of karma this has to be a dream made in heaven right? But now I have 48 hours to tell them yes or no...I don't get to pick options, colors or anything. I must drop 10% and they will tell me the options and color later. Well we really wanted orange and figured black was okay and silver was doable. So okay here is $4500. A week later luck strikes again…Hemi Orange with all three options, here is your VIN! So now we wait, it took forever to get to D1 and I know that there is a 3 to 4 week boat ride plus additional shipping time after the car has been built...so I am ready for the long wait but dang can't it get here sooner!

Long live MOPAR!!!
We're all experiencing that wait, so hang in !! Funny, but you might get yours in Italy, before we get ours in Canada ; and they're made here !!:stickpoke:

·
Registered
973 Posts
SF18C- I used to be a GM guy as well. Bought a new one every 3 1/2 years because I traveled a lot. Cruisers. It came time to buy a new car and I thought I'd try a Chrysler for something different. I can still remember driving the thing home from the dealer and thinking to myself, "why did I buy this car? I must be nuts." I am.

That was 14 years ago and I still have that car! Everything works on it....even the A/C. I can't kill it. This dumb thing will run forever. And oh, I have two additional Chrysler's in my driveway now.

What I'm saying is that I think you'll enjoy driving Mopar's. Especially a very cool one like a Challenger. I can't put my finger on it but there is just something about driving a Chrysler. Maybe it's a history thing that I'm in to. Who knows.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
hi all...just wanted to say that i did have a couple ford trucks (ranger and F150) but everything else has been Mopar including a 72 Valiant, 74 Duster, 74 RR, 71 Barracuda (found that one in Panama of all places 318ci car), 72 Challenger (my current baby), 2001 Ram, 04 Ram and 99 300M. Next on the list is hopefully the 09-10 Challenger. I've only had a little problem with the 300M (well wife did, I didnt) but now she wants me to get rid of that and get the newer 300C. Anyway, I just enjoy Chrysler and never really had any problems with them so i think SF18C, you'll really enjoy the new Challenger plus look at all that attention you will get out there in Italy! Be patient with it as it arrives at least you're getting one I'm still working on trying to get one! Hard to do when you're in Iraq and not close to AAFES where I can order anything. But good luck on your new ride!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DinoMoparman,
Stay safe over there...did my time at Balad with a few trips to Bagdad, Tikirt and Al Rymadi (however you spell it). If you get the chance find an AAFES car dealer in country or I can give you the email to one here in Italy. They can order them to be delivered anywhere!
But most importantly remember the first part…Stay safe and keep it on ‘em!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts