Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought my new 2014 SRT. I have not even had it long enough to go buy the tags. It had less than 500 miles on it when I was heading home after dark and a coyote ran full speed from the ditch right in front of me. I was driving down the interstate doing about 75mph and didn't even have time to get on the brake pedal before I plowed him over. He cracked my front bumper fascia in a few places, shattered the lower grill, broke the air dam, broke the front belly pan and hit the bottom of the radiator bracket hard enough to break both lower radiator mounting feet. I took the car to a friend who owns a body shop and he is going to give me an estimate Monday, but I am going to attempt to do the repairs myself before taking it to the body shop. I have already removed the front bumper and all of the damaged plastics. I tapped the bottom of the radiator and added some bolts to replace the feet that were broken off. I have already priced all of the plastics and can get everything needed, not including a new bumper cover, for right at $300. The paint on the front bumper was not damaged at all, except for where the cracked/broke. I am currently in the process of repairing the bumper cover using a plastic epoxy. Considering all of the other plastics will help support the broken areas, I think it should hold just fine. I have epoxied the back side of the bumper already and will be sanding the cracked areas later today and repairing the front. I then plan to sand out the immediate area and also wet sand the close surrounding areas so I an attempt to blend the paint. None of the the stripes were damaged, so I am going to work around them. I will post updates as things go. Here are a few photos. The first one is of the damage the morning after. The second photo is after I removed all the plastics to repair the radiator. The impact plastic is removed, but was not damaged in the second photo. I just removed it to make it easier to get to the radiator and work. If it doesn't work out, all I will have to do it buy a new bumper cover and have the body shop paint it for me and replace my "repaired" one. I expect I am saving myself about $1000 or more doing this myself, and not having to cause my insurance to go up. Wish me luck.

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
Sorry for your bad luck. Hopefully you'll be able to repair the damage yourself.

You really have to watch out for these guys!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Doesn't an adjuster have to see it first? Unless you're a body pro why do it yourself?
Best of luck and post up the after pictures.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sorry about your luck, I have seen 3 cyotes this last year in my backyard stalking my dog through the fence. I havent seen one in a while.......

You might get luck and try a new car auto recycler and get everything you need, mabey even a white front bumper.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
If you say the car is 2014......why are you trying to fix this car yourself ! This is what insurance is for. You said that so far it will run you about $300 for what you already have. I would hope you only have a $500 deductible (average). Let the professionals fix right the first time or this will look like shit and cost you more money in the long run. My family has been in the auto body repair business for 60 years and I have seen too many do it yourselfers that end up coming to us to undo the amateur body work they did themselves and it costs more. I guarantee that any "epoxy" work that you do is not automotive factory approved and will end up cracking down the road and you will have to pay to repaint it again. Take my professional advice and let a reputable body shop do the repairs and it will be guaranteed.
Good luck! Don't disrespect your ride.

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Since a Coyote is a wild animal what happened to you is a comprehensive claim and not a collision claim so your insurance deductible would have been low and it would not be held against your driving record. If you hit a dog or other domesticated animal then it is a collision claim.

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
Since a Coyote is a wild animal what happened to you is a comprehensive claim and not a collision claim so your insurance deductible would have been low and it would not be held against your driving record. If you hit a dog or other domesticated animal then it is a collision claim.
Where did you get that information from. An animal is an animal.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Did he take pictures of the dead coyote? If not how do you prove it wasn't a dog?
I'd just let the body shop fix it!!!

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Where did you get that information from. An animal is an animal.
From my insurance company after I took out a deer. I paid my $100 deductible not the $500 collision and no rate increase.
if he told them he hit a coyote and they are known to be in the area I doubt they would question is truthfulness.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
sorry about your car. But you need to leave it alone and have it fixed right. its gonna look like hell when your done if you don't know what your doing. ya cant just glue it back together and expect it to stay together. cant just blend the paint either. way to pretty and new a car to be treated like that. you will just ruin it value and when people look at your car and people do look at these cars they will just think your a fool for doing this and screwing up that car. this aint like overhauling or another fix it in a week and have a show car thing. put up your tool and do the right thing for the car. SORRY can you do a head transplant too ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not sure how many of you have looked under the front end of your challenger, but it is simple plastic pieces. The only part that I would even need a body shop to do would be to paint a new bumper cover. Just about everything else simply goes together with plastic push rivets. It took me a whopping 15 minutes to get the entire front bumper off. As I said in the original post, if I am not happy with the end results, I will have a new bumper painted. There is no metal work to be done here folks. My insurance company does not use an adjuster either, unless it is a possible total loss. All they would require me to do is get 2 estimates from local body shops, which I did. I also priced all needed parts before talking to the body shops and they told me that what I could get them online for, sounded cheaper than they could get them. I have done similar work on my other vehicles in the past and got it done cheaper than my deductible would have been. Also, it isn't even really about the money, I take pride in what I do and enjoy working on my own stuff. Also, like I said in the original post, my friend owns a body shop here and if I do need assistance, it just a phone call and a 6 pack away. Stay tuned. I have to go out of town for a week for work, but will be putting it all back together next week when I return.

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
Rims on the 2012 challenger SRT-8

Any one know how wide the rear rims are on my 2012 challenger SRT8. I have the staggered rears which are 255/40/R20 or are they 255/45/ R20 I forget.

·
Registered
588 Posts
i agree, that is way to nice of a car to rig it back together that way.. fix a yugo that way not that car . you will always look at that and wish you had done it the right way...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the comments, but I am posting what I AM doing. I am not asking for advise or if I should take it to a body shop or do it myself. It is my car, my money and when I am done it will look as it did the day I bought it. I guess everybody fails to read an entire post. If i am not happy with the repair, I am out a whopping $20 for the supplies I purchased. No big deal. At least not for me. It is amazing how worked up some of you seem to get because of my decision. Thanks for all the replies though.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
how ya gonna blend the paint ? I am a paint and body person as its called now. gotta get the womens lib in there. been doing it for over 30 years. had lots of cars apart and pulled all kinds of stuff out of em. even horse parts once. weird the car was a mustang too. true story. why don't ya put a bra on it or one of those great big bandaids they sell on Ebay ? cant call a airplanes ****pit a ****pit now, its a flightdeck. your car is way to pretty to not be fixed right. it bums me out and it aint even mine. wish I was there to help ya fix it right.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks Highwayflyer. I will make sure you get to see it when I'm done. As I have repeatedly said. If in not happy, a new bumper will go back on my car. I am an engineer and have yet to attempt a project of any kind that I wasn't able to complete to my satisfaction. I am a perfectionist too. I just take pride in my work. Must people in the world are not self reliant and depend on others to do things they are unfamiliar with. That isn't me. I will learn a new trade if it is necessary. I'm just geared that way I guess. It WILL look as good as it did when I am done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I don't know what insurance company you have, but, I don't know too many (any actually) that tell you to get 2 estimates and a deal is made without an adjuster, unless the shops are a "pro shop" on their authorized repair shop list. I can see from your photo that you A/C condenser is damaged also. Now don't get upset at what I am about to say....but I think you are going to put in a claim and collect the money and do it yourself. Send us the post when you say that you should have listened to the voices of experience! LOL This is too nice of a ride to attempt to repair yourself if you have never done this type of work before. I have been out of the business actually fixing body damage for about 20 years and I wouldn't even attempt to do it on todays cars. The way to fix cars today is completely different than 10-20 years ago. Who ever heard of cleaning a car with a piece of clay? Whatever your decision, good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
With the car before this one, a Cadillac CTS I ran over a set of deer antlers (long story). I only paid $100 deductible via comprehensive as it was part of an animal. The Insurance company said if it had been a piece of metal that was run over it would have been collision and would have been $500 deductible. This was State Farm Insurance.

I carry Insurance for a reason !

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What you are referring to is insurance fraud. The condenser had some damaged fins, but none of the main veins were damaged. A/C is still working good and if in the future it does loose charge and need to be replaced, they are not that expensive. I am just "loving" all of the negative comments. I bet all of these people making these comments call a plumber, carpenter, electrician, ect. every time they need a little thing repaired. I would like to say I have never called any of the above and have been a home owner or a long time. I bet they also always take their vehicles to a mechanic for maintenance and repairs. The only way I will take one is if it is in need of being hooked up to a computer. I will show you all how a home repair CAN be done and be quality. I guess everybody keeps overlooking the fact that the only thing I am doing is replacing all of the broken plastics and making two small repairs at the bottom of the bumper cover. The new air dam will increase the strength of this area once installed. The new belly pan that will attach to the back of the air dam will further strengthen the area. I have already patched the back side of the damaged areas and reinforced with wire mesh. I have put quite a bit of force on these areas and they have held good. I am now about to start the front side. Since I will be leaving for work for a week. Everything will have a full week to cure. I will post a few photos tonight of the progress. It seems strange that everybody always thinks the worse and that nobody has any ability to do anything unless they are in that business. Stay tuned naysayers and get the skillet ready to cook that crow you will be eating, unless you like your crow raw that is.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts