Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruising along the freeway at about 55, when what looked like some unsecured water pipes successfully smashed their way in to the front right hand side of my car.
It still has new car smell :(

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't decide if this is worth involving insurance or not.
The steering felt a little different when taking the car home, but I can't see any damage on tyres/wheels/under the car. I think the object may have bounced off cleanly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry, man. I say use the insurance, that's why you pay for it. They'll get her all fixed up and back in shape. Once you see the quote for the repairs, it will make sense.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If the bumper is cracked at all it's around $350-400 for a new 14' bumper OEM. The below chin is around $100-150 OEM. Paint is another $400-600 for the bumper depending on the shop used.

That's over a 1k bill easily, decide if it's worth the deductible.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the bumper is cracked at all it's around $350-400 for a new 14' bumper OEM. The below chin is around $100-150 OEM. Paint is another $400-600 for the bumper depending on the shop used.

That's over a 1k bill easily, decide if it's worth the deductible.
Thanks for the price figures.

What kind of idiot doesn't secure the load in their truck...

·
Registered
175 Posts

It happens, I stick with the idea of just moving forward. If you have an issues or think the insurance company is playing you let me know. Most American car insurance companes will attempt you to use aftermarket parts. These cause nothing but issues with most challengers in the fitment category.

If you run into these issues let me know and shoot me a pm, I'll gladly help out any challenger owner in making sure their ride is perfect.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It happens, I stick with the idea of just moving forward. If you have an issues or think the insurance company is playing you let me know. Most American car insurance companes will attempt you to use aftermarket parts. These cause nothing but issues with most challengers in the fitment category.

If you run into these issues let me know and shoot me a pm, I'll gladly help out any challenger owner in making sure their ride is perfect.
I appreciate the offer, I'll do just that if there's any problems, thanks!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I feel your pain!

I had a sign blow over into mine on the Oregon Coast. Glad it was not worse and no one was hurt.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
That sucks. Use your insurance it should be covered under comprehensive damage. Good luck hope all goes well.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Cruising along the freeway at about 55, when what looked like some unsecured water pipes successfully smashed their way in to the front right hand side of my car.
It still has new car smell :([/QUOTE

Glad to hear you no one was hurt. Certainly have the insurance company cover the repairs.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
You'll pay for it twice over the long run if you claim it, I'd just eat the repair cost if I were you. Insurance is really only for big losses. There is no bigger legal Ponzi scheme. Good luck, hey, it could have been much worse!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update:
Geico tried to use aftermarket parts on my car, but the repair guy took my lead and had none of it. OEM parts only.

However, the day after the accident I noticed the inner wheel housing popped out. Geico will cover the bump in the lip that caused that to happen, but they're not going to cover the two quarter size dimples in my fender :smiley35:
The reason being is the other side of the car has one of these dimples too.

They either came with the car from the factory, or they were caused by the accident.
Does anyone here have any of these dimples? I can only see them at very glancing angles, they're located just above the wheel arch on the fender, right before you get to the hood.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts

May not necessarily be an idiot but attention to detail and time may be issue here...I know a lot of contractors and when they get busy the attention span drops. No different than a professional engineer whose mistake may become more costly.

·
Super Moderator
17,312 Posts
Just an update:
Geico tried to use aftermarket parts on my car, but the repair guy took my lead and had none of it. OEM parts only.

However, the day after the accident I noticed the inner wheel housing popped out. Geico will cover the bump in the lip that caused that to happen, but they're not going to cover the two quarter size dimples in my fender :smiley35:
The reason being is the other side of the car has one of these dimples too.

They either came with the car from the factory, or they were caused by the accident.
Does anyone here have any of these dimples? I can only see them at very glancing angles, they're located just above the wheel arch on the fender, right before you get to the hood.
Odds are that a PDR guy could get those out - they have to remove the fender liners to access those areas.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
You'll pay for it twice over the long run if you claim it, I'd just eat the repair cost if I were you. Insurance is really only for big losses. There is no bigger legal Ponzi scheme. Good luck, hey, it could have been much worse!
Agreed car insurance can be a fickle at least. As suggested, I'd evaluate the circumstances and risks with the claim. But speaking from experience with my Ram SRT10, a non-attentive driver rear ended my truck while it was stopped sitting in stop and go traffic. Claiming the claim may be a good option. My incident cost over $1400.00, including a rental truck for me. I was out of my vehicle for 1.5 weeks....

Damages included repair to the bumper cover at the step insert and replacement of the inner bumper support. Repairs were done to the cover, inner support replaced, prep and paint, finish sanding and buffing to include the whole rear box. Unfortunately it took the shop 2x attempts to match paint correctly and to buff out all the scratches they caused on the box sides trying to reinstall the bumper cover and body cladding. All this happened over 4 years ago...I shudder what it would cost today. And I wasn't at fault here...

Here's to knocking on wood for everybody!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Odds are that a PDR guy could get those out - they have to remove the fender liners to access those areas.
Yes he can get them out, but the problem is Gieco wont cover them as the inspector reckons they didn't happen in the accident.
The PDR guy gave me an estimate of $60 a pop.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes he can get them out, but the problem is Gieco wont cover them as the inspector reckons they didn't happen in the accident.
The PDR guy gave me an estimate of $60 a pop.
If your body shop believes it was caused by the accident let them handle it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts