Votes: 20 24.4%
  • over 1 year

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Never it’s a terrible idea

Votes: 11 13.4%

Shaker Hood

10K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  MoPower 
#1 ·
So I’m thinking that DCX won’t release a Shaker Hood or if they do it will be on some high priced special edition. My hope is that with the availability of Shaker Hoods for Dakotas and Rams it won’t be long before there are several models available for the Challenger. I think this will happen about 6 months to a year after launch. What about you guys?

#2 ·
rodkil1 said:
So I’m thinking that DCX won’t release a Shaker Hood or if they do it will be on some high priced special edition. My hope is that with the availability of Shaker Hoods for Dakotas and Rams it won’t be long before there are several models available for the Challenger. I think this will happen about 6 months to a year after launch. What about you guys?
I would love to see the availability of a factory shacker hood...would be quite fitting (no pun intended). There is at least one aftermarket brand already out that I have seen. Looked functional and all; however, I would prefer it to come from Dodge. They make it, price that option reasonable, I'll buy.:cool:

#3 ·
i think the shaker hood should only be on the Cuda.

#5 ·
This car is clearly (in its concept form) aimed right at the purists. This is the most specifically retro car that's come out of DCX. They would be missing a major opportunity if the Shaker Hood didn't come out quickly.

Much like they had a Daytona version of the Charger quickly, I think they'd make this an option right out of the chute. Hit the targeted market right where it counts - they're blessed memory of the outrageous crap that Detroit did during the muscle car era to sell cars.

And, this car will also lend itself much better to some Plum Crazy, Hemi Orange, Tor Red, Sub Lime, Lemon Twist and Panther Pink paint schemes. The new Charger feels a little more "grown up" than that (fine for Go Mango and Top Banana) - but I think they could go wild with this car.

I hope they do.

#7 ·
I disagree. Leave Plymouth in the grave and just play with the Dodge name. I also say leave the shaker hood alone and stick with the Rallye. With all of the plastic and hoses and electronics under the hood covering the powe plant, a modern shaker just wouldn't have the same visual impact as a classic chaker on a six pack.

If there is a shaker made it will likely be aftermarket, I think.

#8 ·
Manimal said:
I disagree. Leave Plymouth in the grave and just play with the Dodge name. I also say leave the shaker hood alone and stick with the Rallye. With all of the plastic and hoses and electronics under the hood covering the powe plant, a modern shaker just wouldn't have the same visual impact as a classic chaker on a six pack.

If there is a shaker made it will likely be aftermarket, I think.
I don't see what new electronics have to do with anything. The 2003 Mustang Mach 1 came with a shaker. would be sweet if it was metal and not plastic/fiberglass. would make a bigger visual change.

#14 ·
E-Body said:
A Hemi Challenger without a Shaker would be blasphemy
No it wouldnt, most Hemi Challengers didn't have the shaker from the factory. The shaker was widely used on the Cuda, while the power bulge hood was the widely used hood for the Challenger. If any hood should be on the Challenger, it should be the one that is already in the concept...the power bulge. Im not saying that a shaker shouldn't be available, but I just dont feel it will have the same impact as it did in 70 and 71.

#17 ·
Well it sure won't have the same effect as teh original. No engine shaking here on these more modern models. What I remember the most about my uncles with the shaker hood was that the coolest part was that it actually shook sticking out of the hood. It will look cool when the hood goes up too, but the shaking effect was what got your attention, which you won't get with the 6.1 or the 6.4 engines in todays DCX cars.

#18 ·
DCX could/should actually make the 'Cuda and the Challenger, they did it with the Prowler when Plymouth faded away... Let the 'Cuda live on under the Chrysler name. heck take the current Charger and turn it into a Chrysler Roadrunner. Then they could make a Superbird option. Just one mans opinion.

#19 ·
Hey Manimal, the put a shaker on the mustang and it is functional! so why not the challenger? BTW i own an 05 mustang (rouch), an04 GTXhemi truck (sublime), and a original71 challenger r/t 440(for 29yrs), and a 04 Zo6 vette. and i will own one of these new challengers if they make it. but i prefer the twin snorkle hood!

#20 ·
i agree bring back the challenger, the cuda and roadrunner, superbird!!! you all know that the daytona truck was a failure don't you? there is a deale here in illinois that has 25 count them 25! on his lot! last month he had a "DAYTONA SALE!!!" sold 1 truck in 5 days. so names wont always gaurantee sales! however this new challenger will sell! if dodge doesn't mess with it befor production. if they leave it the way it is people will be on want list for it like there is for the new shelby that is comming( myself included)! the people this car appeals too the most is us guys tha remember the old cars and wish we could go back and relive those days but have the knowledge and the means we have now! am i right? it will also be appealing to younger people but not for the same reasons. if chrysler doesn't build this car they are missing the boat and will suffer for it . i believe this car could surpass the mustang in sales if they do it right. GM already knows that it was a mistake to cancel camaro and firebird! sorry to be so long winded but cars are my passion. i love them all. i am a firm believer of.."He who dies with the most toys wins!" jay leno has me beat for now but i'm a close 2nd! lets hope the challenger comes out of the grave and lives again!!!!later!!GTX

#21 ·
Killer_Mopar said:
No it wouldnt, most Hemi Challengers didn't have the shaker from the factory. The shaker was widely used on the Cuda, while the power bulge hood was the widely used hood for the Challenger. If any hood should be on the Challenger, it should be the one that is already in the concept...the power bulge. Im not saying that a shaker shouldn't be available, but I just dont feel it will have the same impact as it did in 70 and 71.

I think what I meant to say was not offering it as an option at all. I didn't mean every one. Myself... a MUST HAVE

#22 ·
God I hope not a Superbird. Not that I apposed to the idea of a super aerodynamic NASCAR bread street car. But I can see it now DCX will put some silly wing on it and some silly stickers and charge five grand more for it. All the while disgracing its great name and telling us it’s what we really want. I love the SuperBird and Charger Daytona of old and I’d like them to stay the great cars I remember without seeing DCX drag their names though the mud. It’s already too late for Daytona I hope the decal marketing will go away soon.

#24 ·
Agreed. The shaker is a critical part of the heritage of these cars, even if they were rare. In fact their rarity added even more to the mystique. Somehow a well designed shaker is both understated and yet oh-so aggressive, a perfect match to the meatgrinder engine lurking beneath.

There was a good point made about the scoop actually shaking though. Do you guys think it will shake on a modern car? Do they on any other modern cars (or trucks) offering them? A shaker that doesn't shake would be an oxymoron (and serious letdown). :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.