Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owner 1655 here..Header Orange,auto. I want to start off saying I absolutely love my car. I get compliments everywhere I go. It's hard not to smile when I'm in my car. I have 300 miles on it so far and my best 0-60 time is 5.40.
My only complaint is that I cannot roast the tires...no matter how hard I try. Yes esc is completely turned off.
Any tricks I can try? I've driven it like I stole it from day one and don't think pulling fuse number 2 will work.

·
Registered
583 Posts
cheap fix

Will a tuner solve my problem?
Use CLOROX on the rear tires, and give it a lot of RPM s
That will break those stick y F1 tires loose

·
Registered
245 Posts
You are holding in the esc button till ESC OFF shows in your EVIC (about 5-6 seconds)?Are you holding the brake or just trying to burn em by mashing the gas?

You should be able to brake torque em no problem but remember that the traction controll will still try to stop you from spinning.

From the owners manual:
Traction Control System (TCS)
This system monitors the amount of wheel spin of each
driven wheel. If wheel spin is detected, brake pressure is
applied to the slipping wheel(s) and engine power is
reduced to provide enhanced acceleration and stability.
A feature of the TCS system functions similar to a
limited-slip differential and controls the wheel spin
across a driven axle. If one wheel on a driven axle is
spinning faster than the other, the system will apply the
brake of the spinning wheel. This will allow more engine
torque to be applied to the wheel that is not spinning. This
feature remains active even if TCS and ESC are in the
“Partial Off” or “Full Off” modes. Refer to “Electronic
Stability Control (ESC)” in this section for more information

NOTE: When the ESC is switched OFF, a feature of the
system remains active. This feature controls wheel spin
across an axle quite similarly to a limited slip differential.
If one wheel on an axle is spinning faster than the other,
the system will apply the brake of the spinning wheel
and allow more engine torque to be applied to the wheel
that is not spinning.

Reactions: shaker2014

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are holding in the esc button till ESC OFF shows in your EVIC (about 5-6 seconds)?Are you holding the brake or just trying to burn em by mashing the gas?

You should be able to brake torque em no problem but remember that the traction controll will still try to stop you from spinning.

From the owners manual:
Both..mash the gas and a powerstall. It just goes.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
With clutch in, rev to 2500 rpm; start to slowly release clutch; as car starts to move, stomp on the gas and release clutch. That will do a burnout, but won't smoke the tires. I haven't tried smoking the tires yet. I've only done burnouts.

·
Registered
245 Posts
With clutch in, rev to 2500 rpm; start to slowly release clutch; as car starts to move, stomp on the gas and release clutch. That will do a burnout, but won't smoke the tires. I haven't tried smoking the tires yet. I've only done burnouts.
He's got an auto.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
As others have said, the factory programming is withholding full power to the engine until 3750 miles in order to help with break-in of the entire drivetrain.. It is a fact as I just passed that number on a trip to Detroit for the Woodward DreamCruise, and the engine did become more powerful and responsive after 3750 (ask me how I know :).

I believe I read on the forums that using a Diablo programmer, like InTune or Trinity, will write a ficticious number of miles (like 9999) to the programming to avoid this. So using a programmer before 3750 may help wake the car up sooner, along with the other Diablo features like reduced torque management, shift firmness, throttle response, etc.

Remember - if you want to beat the other guy, the tires not spinning is a good thing. If you want to just have fun, ESP full off, left foot on the brake, and floor it while holding the brake. That should get the job done...

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
As others have said, the factory programming is withholding full power to the engine until 3750 miles in order to help with break-in of the entire drivetrain.. It is a fact as I just passed that number on a trip to Detroit for the Woodward DreamCruise, and the engine did become more powerful and responsive after 3750 (ask me how I know :).

I believe I read on the forums that using a Diablo programmer, like InTune or Trinity, will write a ficticious number of miles (like 9999) to the programming to avoid this. So using a programmer before 3750 may help wake the car up sooner, along with the other Diablo features like reduced torque management, shift firmness, throttle response, etc.

Remember - if you want to beat the other guy, the tires not spinning is a good thing. If you want to just have fun, ESP full off, left foot on the brake, and floor it while holding the brake. That should get the job done...

Ok I'll ask, how do you know? The 3750 miles thing? I've read it. Seen the actual real proof that it DOES exist from a Chrysler tech manual. I have 6,000 plus on my '13 392 and was in my car for about 20 miles leading up to that number and kept driving another 25ish that day. I was specifically looking to feel something. Nothing. It's there, the Chrysler tech manual explains why it is, but as far as ME "feeling" anything, no way. I think most people experience the placebo effect more than anything.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Well, I'm not really sure regarding what I'm about to say, but here goes. The Chrysler tech manual picture that is floating around showing info on the 3750 mile deal appears to specifically talk about the 5.7 engine. It is entirely possible Chrysler chose to do this on only the 5.7 engine, and not the 6.4.

My back-of-the-envelope reasoning: they sell a bunch more 5.7's than 6.4's, so they would perhaps be more concerned with warranty issues due to improper break-in on a higher production volume engine. Also, 6.4 come from the factory with synthetic motor oil - break-in concerns of the manufacturer may be lessened by this. And, if you are selling a performance vehicle like the SRT8, and are competing for your customer dollars at this level of vehicle, you probably want all the horsepower the 6.4 has available on that customer's test drive.

One man's educated guess - others please chime in here if you have further definitive info...

As far as MY car and the 3750 mile "upgrade", all I can say is it felt more responsive and powerful, from off-idle to higher RPM, after 3750 and I've got 4100 on her now. Like others have noted/complained in other threads, I was thinking to myself when I first got the car "is this all she's got?". I have a 300 SRT8 and thought the Challenger R/T was frankly a bit of a dog compared to the 300. Now the Challenger is closer in performance and feel, so I do think something changed.

Reactions: shaker2014

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I'm still below 1800 miles. I need to drive my car. We are in the process of moving and I have been using my Ram every day. I'm not trying to keep the miles low but I am making runs to local charities and Home Depot. My Shaker has little benefit in these chores. I have a manual. Pulling fuse #2 after 3750 can't hurt. It might help.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Well, I'm not really sure regarding what I'm about to say, but here goes. The Chrysler tech manual picture that is floating around showing info on the 3750 mile deal appears to specifically talk about the 5.7 engine. It is entirely possible Chrysler chose to do this on only the 5.7 engine, and not the 6.4.

My back-of-the-envelope reasoning: they sell a bunch more 5.7's than 6.4's, so they would perhaps be more concerned with warranty issues due to improper break-in on a higher production volume engine. Also, 6.4 come from the factory with synthetic motor oil - break-in concerns of the manufacturer may be lessened by this. And, if you are selling a performance vehicle like the SRT8, and are competing for your customer dollars at this level of vehicle, you probably want all the horsepower the 6.4 has available on that customer's test drive.

One man's educated guess - others please chime in here if you have further definitive info...

As far as MY car and the 3750 mile "upgrade", all I can say is it felt more responsive and powerful, from off-idle to higher RPM, after 3750 and I've got 4100 on her now. Like others have noted/complained in other threads, I was thinking to myself when I first got the car "is this all she's got?". I have a 300 SRT8 and thought the Challenger R/T was frankly a bit of a dog compared to the 300. Now the Challenger is closer in performance and feel, so I do think something changed.

Who really knows? This 3750 miles thing has to do with the VVT engines which both the 5.7 and 392 are. As far as you mentioning synthetic oil for break in, really the break in period on any new car is for the rear end. That's been mulled over a billion times here. All I'm saying is I don't think anyone can feel the difference when the motor crosses that 3750 threshold is all.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I'm coming up on 3750 real soon and will be keeping my butt-dyno on standby for the big day. :icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Ok - teddyp, I respect your opinion. You felt no difference when your SRT8 clicked past 3750.

I have not seen a Chrysler tech manual picture that discussed the SRT8 having the 3750 mile deal. Maybe it's out there and I just missed it. The picture of the Chrysler tech manual discussing the 3750 mile thing for the 5.7 is out there.

Chrysler felt the need to modify the software programming on the 5.7 until the 3750 mile mark. They may have reduced the VVT operation range, reduced spark advance, fattened the fuel a bit, who knows. But they admit they did something, and it likely was to pull back the engine's operating parameters. If that is true, some reduction in horsepower and/or torque was likely the result.

So, at 3750 miles the programming goes to its normal operating parameters. The torque and horsepower are now "normal". Just for kicks, say that is 20 horsepower and 20 ft/lbs. of torque, and perhaps better throttle response. Many people would notice those differences, and perhaps many would take no notice.

Chrysler engineers will probably get a chuckle out of you and I and our discussion, because they do know the truth, and we can only speculate.

Reactions: teddyp

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just passed the 3750 mark on my shaker. There's a slight difference , don't expect anything earth shattering.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.