Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger RT Plus Shaker
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that the paint around the underside of the hood is fading/worn off where the shaker seal would rest/rub against it during normal operation. I seen someone mention that there was a clear film protector around that could help with that. I been searching Google and haven't been able to find a proper hit on it. Ordered spray paint to touch it up with the proper paint code and would like to prevent it from happening again. Any help on locating this protector or ideas on how to prevent? Would appreciate the help. It's a 2016 R/T Shaker.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,038 Posts
I noticed today that the paint around the underside of the hood is fading/worn off where the shaker seal would rest/rub against it during normal operation. I seen someone mention that there was a clear film protector around that could help with that. I been searching Google and haven't been able to find a proper hit on it. Ordered spray paint to touch it up with the proper paint code and would like to prevent it from happening again. Any help on locating this protector or ideas on how to prevent? Would appreciate the help. It's a 2016 R/T Shaker.
That's weird, my two 2015 Shakers had this "protective" tape installed from the factory. It wasn't on the 2014 Shakers (first year). I ordered this set for my 2014 Shaker because of the rubbing issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Discount code CHA1

A Guy
You're a Saint, sir!

That's weird, my two 2015 Shakers had this "protective" tape installed from the factory. It wasn't on the 2014 Shakers (first year). I ordered this set for my 2014 Shaker because of the rubbing issue.
Yeah that's why when I read a thread about it I was confused why mine didn't have it. I'm guessing one of the previous owners thought it was just shipping protection like the front air dam bananas or the plastic on the Galaxy Fold phones.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
681 Posts
My current Shaker ('16 model year) did not have the clear film protection around the Shaker opening either. I bought it new, and so I know it never had it.

·
Super Moderator
17,261 Posts
one thing that also helps - each time when you wash the car, open the hood, clean the underside where the seal meets the hood AND the rubber seal as well.

and dirt / grit / dust that builds up will contribute to the marring.

My '16 has the protective film - there's a small amount of rubbing at the front area, but inevitably, that will happen.
46k on mine to date

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
681 Posts
Mine has about 45,600 miles. Some wear on the paint, but not bad. I do clean around the seal and hood occasionally, but really don't worry about it much. Since the hood is aluminum, no worry over rust, and the seal keeps everything sort of polished.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine has about 45,600 miles. Some wear on the paint, but not bad. I do clean around the seal and hood occasionally, but really don't worry about it much. Since the hood is aluminum, no worry over rust, and the seal keeps everything sort of polished.
Ah! I was not aware it was aluminum. They would explain why there is no sign of rust even with the shiny metal showing through the chewed up paint!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I think it's okay to put a thin layer of white lithium grease on the seal, allow the seal to slide around a little. While attending a Cars and Coffee event a few years ago, this guy pulled in with a brand new Shaker car, straight from the dealer. He couldn't figure out how to open the hood, so I showed him how. Upon opening the hood, we found a bunch of white lithium grease slathered on that seal, so it must've come from the factory like that. .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So yesterday I was getting to paint it and noticed that it did in fact have this plastic protector. It was just really stuck on well so couldn't really tell it apart from the granite crystal paint. Anyways, turns out it was rubbing the paint a few centimeters BELOW where the protector ended. So I think I might try the lithium grease mentioned here by @RWL11

1 - 10 of 10 Posts