Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2015 Shaker R'T in to have the backup camera repaired. When it would go black, opening and closing the trunk lid would get it working again. I took it into the dealer for repair and told them I'd seen on here where others had found a loose connection in the trunk lid. I had an 8 am appointment. At 2:11, they called and said they were just getting to it but would put a rush on it to get it to me. At 4:41, they called and said they had could news and bad news. He good news was that it was fixed and was a loose connection in trunk lid. The bad news was the technician put some dents in my trunk lid prying off the spoiler with a pry bar. Not to worry though as they would send it to the body shop for repair and I wouldn't be able to tell. He said the tech put a rag down under the pry bar but it still damaged the trunk lid. A pry bar??? I was PO'd so I went into the dealer and said I wanted to see the car. He said the service area was closed. I said I wanted a loaner car. The black 2015 Scat Pack on the lot would do. No argument, he just handed me the keys. Told me the service people do not want the general manager to know they damaged my car. The GM has a Hellcat and a 69 Charger R/T. I'm going in tomorrow and tell them to fix it as if it's the GMs car. I don't want a plastic filler deck lid. The stuff always starts falling apart on deck lids after awhile. If they don't do it right, the GM will find out. Think I should demand a new trunk lid? I want to see if they damaged the spoiler.:frown:
Terry

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2015 R/T Damaged by Dealer

I took my 2015 R/T Shaker to the dealer service department where I bought the car. I had a 8 am appointment. At 2:11 pm, I got a call from the service department saying they were just now getting to my car but they would hurry it to get it back to me today. I get a call from them at 4:41 saying they had good news and bad news. The good news was the camera only had a loose connection. The bad news was the technician damaged the trunk lid with the pry bar while prying off the spoiler - they removed the two end clips but the double backed tape was difficult and he used a pry bar which caused a few dents. Really - a pry bar? What happened to waxed string or fishing line. He told me not to worry, I wouldn't be able to tell where the body shop repaired the dents. I went into the dealer to look at my car but the service department was closed. I wanted to see the dents and if the spoiler was damaged. I want to determine if I should demand new repair parts. I told them I needed a loaner car and the black Scat Pack on the sales lot would do. He handed over the keys to it without any argument. He said the service department doesn't want the manager to know they damaged a customer's car. They want to keep the customer happy.The GM has a Hellcat and a 69 Charger R/T among the cars in his collection.. I'm going to tell them to repair my car as if it's the GM's car. If not, the GM, who I know, may find out. Think I should get a new deck lid? If the spoiler is damaged, I'll insist on a new one. I don't want the repair cracking/falling out after a few years of the trunk deck lid vibrating. Thanks. I just needed to vent. When he said they would rush it to get it done today that late in the day should have been a warning to me.
Terry

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
I would definitely demand a new OEM lid (not aftermarket knock off or LKQ from a junk yard). Your story doen't surprise me. Years ago I supervised a dealership body shop. The "techs" never failed to amaze me with their attitude and just plain lack of common sense. Your story reminded me of the time I went off on a tech for using a large screw driver to pry off the wheel opening moldings on an F-150. I astoundingly asked if he was aware that he was chipping the paint and making dents in the fenders behind the trim. His answer, yeah but when I put a new molding on, it will cover that up and the customer will never know. One of a thousand stories I could tell. Management thought this was business as usual. Some of our ChallengerTalk friends have had this same thing occur to their vehicles when they had their rocker trim replaced on the 2009-2014 style that cracked all the time. When you drop your car off always expect the worst until you verify and before I get slammed, yes there are a few highly competent techs but from my experiences seeing the most ridiculous things done to vehicles in and out of the business, good one's are a very, very rare bird.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Shaker R/T Damaged:

This is my biggest fear about taking my car into the dealership service dept. for an oil change or even a warranty repair. I am considering changing my own oil instead of going to the dealership. I will just document the purchase of the oil and maybe take a photo of the oil being changed. Hard to believe that a tech. would be so careless. They make plastic prybars for removing trim without doing damage to the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Sound like the results that I end up with after a trip to the dealer so I try and avoid them as best I can. hope it all works out for you.......

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
On my old car, the driver's window was slowing down a lot and the dealer replaced the motor. When they took the door apart, the tech scratched the hell out of the bezel. I complained and they replaced it, this time, the tech messed up the armrest leather but got the bezel in OK. I had to do something and didn't complain that day and ended up forgetting about it until a month later when it was due for an oil change. At that point, they said "too bad, you should have let us know about it sooner!". That was strike two as far as if my next car would be bought there. Strike three was not giving me a loaner when the car was in for the timing chain recall, and charging me for a rental. I've seen dealer techs do so much stupid stuff, it amazes me they haven't learned better just from experience alone. The best screw up was at a Pontiac/GMC dealer when they put a guy's new truck on the lift and it fell off, causing much hilarity. The big shots came out and looked at it and told the owner to go out and pick himself out a new truck.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I don't understand why people continue to take their cars back to the dealerships for anything other than catastrophic warranty issues/failures. The risk of something more serious going wrong far outweighs getting the original issue repaired. A backup camera not working properly is not a major issue, especially when the OP knew that it was mosty likely a loose connection in the trunk lid. Either fix it yourself or take it to a reputable local mechanic (they're out there, you just need to find one). Dealerships sell cars..., that's what they know how to do. Some places can also do oill and filter changes without denting and scratching the cars but they're few and far between. Just park outside of any dealership (GM, Ford, Dodge) and watch the lot jockeys moving cars in and out of spots.... If the tech working on you car doesn't damage it the lot guys most likely will. Just my 2cents... It's your car(s), do what you think best. :|

·
Registered
534 Posts
To the OP....., don't let those clowns put body filler and paint on your trunk lid. Demand a new one because the repaired one will most likely have issues later on and the dealership will tell you to pound sand. They don't know how to do body and paint work properly.

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
A PDR guy can't get the dents out?

I'd hate to even think about them trying to paint and match a new trunk lid.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
A PDR guy can't get the dents out?
I'd hate to even think about them trying to paint and match a new trunk lid.

The paint is almost certainly broken from the sharp edge of the pry bar and only an automotive "tech" would believe that a cloth rag is stronger then a steel pry bar.

My last truck had noisy leaf springs. I demonstrated that with the service advisor by rocking the truck sideways by pushing on the bed rails not the paper thin bedside, and I'm not a professional ASE certified automotive technician. (fancy name like a french fry cook being called a root vegetable technician). When I got the truck back there were dents and greasy hand print down the bedside. The "tech" the did the same thing to the other side too. We're not dealing the the brightest bulbs in the knife drawer here.

My first experience with people like this was back in the '70s when I went to get tires for my Challenger. Tires were not metric back then. I ordered two E-60-14 and two G-60-14. Obviously the "G" is much larger then the "E". When I got the car back there was an E on the left front and right rear and G on the right front and left rear. The tech's excuse? "You didn't specify where you wanted them. Now I'll have to rebalance them all". Think about that for a minute. Yep, ASE certified. Here's your sign.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shaker R/T Damage

I went to the dealership this morning to get photos of the damage. Here it is. The service advisor was very apologetic. The GM was very apologetic. I told them I didn't want filler in the deck lid. The ass't manager was going to check the spoiler after he saw the trunk lid damage to make sure it was ok. I was told they removed the spoiler to check the camera. The camera plug connection doesn't require spoiler removal. I won't be taking the car back for minor problems again.
Terry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
I went to the dealership this morning to get photos of the damage. Here it is. The service advisor was very apologetic. The GM was very apologetic. I told them I didn't want filler in the deck lid. The ass't manager was going to check the spoiler after he saw the trunk lid damage to make sure it was ok. I was told they removed the spoiler to check the camera. The camera plug connection doesn't require spoiler removal. I won't be taking the car back for minor problems again.
Terry

I'm just sitting here shaking my head speechless. And a B5 Blue to boot! Apparently the main requirement to work there is that one's I.Q. be equal to his hat size. I would also inquire if they were going to let that individual continue to work there. If the answer was yes, after I got my car repaired I would post that photo in all the social media I could. This is why I won't even take mine in for the cc recall. I'd have to let three or four idiots get in my car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just sitting here shaking my head speechless. And a B5 Blue to boot! Apparently the main requirement to work there is that one's I.Q. be equal to his hat size. I would also inquire if they were going to let that individual continue to work there. If the answer was yes, after I got my car repaired I would post that photo in all the social media I could. This is why I won't even take mine in for the cc recall. I'd have to let three or four idiots get in my car.
The service advisor said "The nice thing is the damaged/repaired area won't even be visible once the spoiler is on." The flat lip of the trunk lid is even damaged. When I first asked to see the car, I was told it was too late and the car was already over to the body shop several miles away. My keys were still hanging on the wall though so he then took me out to see it and kept apologizing. I told them I will not accept a filler job. I'm going to ask for the damaged trunk lid after if I'm told they replaced it. I also don't think they can put the spoiler back on until the paint/ clear coat has thoroughly dried. Is that correct?
TW

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
The service advisor said "The nice thing is the damaged/repaired area won't even be visible once the spoiler is on." The flat lip of the trunk lid is even damaged. When I first asked to see the car, I was told it was too late and the car was already over to the body shop several miles away. My keys were still hanging on the wall though so he then took me out to see it and kept apologizing. I told them I will not accept a filler job. I'm going to ask for the damaged trunk lid after if I'm told they replaced it. I also don't think they can put the spoiler back on until the paint/ clear coat has thoroughly dried. Is that correct?
TW

LOL. See, they actually think it's OK as long as the customer won't see it. If the body shop has the proper materials and equipment, it could be re-assembled shortly after paint is baked. With this dealership, I would check and make sure it's not going to be some 16 year old with a can of spray paint. What city is this anyway?

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Terry
Do they still make B5 Blue? If so maybe they have a new car on the lot that they can swap trunks with and get you on your way. They can then order a new trunk lid for the car on their lot.

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
Omg, you have got to be kidding me!

So much for my idea of a PDR guy, this is beyond ridiculous! It's really hard to believe they have an idiot like this employed as a supposed tech, stupidest thing I ever seen.

So it's a new trunk lid only but can you trust these guys to do it? At this point, I'd say no. I think I would look for a shop to do it and get the dealer to agree in writing to pay them. This dealer I don't think can be trusted.

And yes, you'd want the paint to cure a few days. At Brampton, the cars are baked immediately after paint but most shops don't have that ability.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
No reputable dealer would do that........stick a repainted trunk on a new car.

Would you buy that car?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts