Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have success removing stripes from shakers. Thinking of removing all three small stripes from each side of main stripe or just the two outer small ones. I am assuming hair drier would do the trick on heating them up. My main concern is having a color difference, but being car isn't too old and I think it was always garage kept that should be ok.
Any input on this
Thanks.
Colin

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
A heat gun (or hair dryer) heat them up and peel off. Any glue residue will come off with a wax and grease remover or something like goo be gone. If the color is alittle off after stripe removel you can machine polish and wax and the color should look good

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A heat gun (or hair dryer) heat them up and peel off. Any glue residue will come off with a wax and grease remover or something like goo be gone. If the color is alittle off after stripe removel you can machine polish and wax and the color should look good
Thanks. Yea my thought as well.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I removed the OEM R/T Classic stripes off my Phantom Black Challenger after 2-1/2 years in preparation for installation of the 2015+ R/T Classic stripes. I left the car in direct sunlight for a couple hours prior to removal, of which made the stripes extremely pliable and the entire removal process very easy. Upon removal, there was no sign of color difference, only some remaining adhesive residue and an outline from the wax which was easily removed by adhesive remover, a clay bar, and buffing prior to installing the new stripes.

Reactions: speed

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
If you leave the car outside in the sun and use a hair dryer (or heat gun on low) they'll come off.

It takes patience and they'll come off in one piece. Probably cover the wide main stripes with a towel to protect from the heat.

I did that on my SPS - only have the wide stripe around Shaker - all the rest were removed (as I did the '71 style R/T stripe)

Here's what the hood looks like w/o the narrow stripes:

Attachments

Reactions: speed

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you leave the car outside in the sun and use a hair dryer (or heat gun on low) they'll come off.

It takes patience and they'll come off in one piece. Probably cover the wide main stripes with a towel to protect from the heat.

I did that on my SPS - only have the wide stripe around Shaker - all the rest were removed (as I did the '71 style R/T stripe)

Here's what the hood looks like w/o the narrow stripes:
Looks much better. I will do the whole car though. Maybe leave the stripe nest to to main center one. Yours looks great.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Anyone have success removing stripes from shakers. Thinking of removing all three small stripes from each side of main stripe or just the two outer small ones. I am assuming hair drier would do the trick on heating them up. My main concern is having a color difference, but being car isn't too old and I think it was always garage kept that should be ok.
Any input on this
Thanks.
Colin

Yep. Removed all of the smaller stripes and left the main stripe. Used a heat gun on low and steadily peeled back to the other end. Take your time and you'll be fine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Thanks. I always felt like the smaller stripes looked too "busy". Especially on lighter colored cars.
That's what I finally came to the conclusion. Between Photoshopping and cutting stripes with my contour cutter. I realize the shaker stripes are just to powerful and only little accents can be done.

I ended up doing a little extra on the rear quarter with the 392 and a wide pin stripe on the side view mirror.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts