Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
If you're up in the air about keeping your Shaker or possibly going with a 2015 of some flavor, then either keep it stock and enjoy it that way, or mod it lightly with things that are easily reversed back to stock. Your car will likely be worth more stock if you decide to sell or trade it fairly soon.

On the other hand, it is your car, and if you can get away from those feelings of guilt about not keeping it stock, then I would suggest you mod to your tastes and desires. Sure it is a limited edition, but I recommend you do what pleases you and makes the car more enjoyable for you - life is short.

Last suggestion - do both. Keep it stock or lightly modded until you can see in person and make your decision on the 2015 models. Then I predict you'll know which way you want to go.

There is no wrong choice here, just the one that is right for you - and that may change, and that's OK too!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I too am struggling with the mod or not on a pcp shaker. In the past I always had the badges off in the first week. So far nothing on the shaker. Ive had it 6 weeks aNd dont yet have 300 miles. I want cat backs, the car sounds like a 6 banger granny grocery getter, rather than a muscle car. In the past I had cherry bombs on the first month. I wany hood pins but cant find the ones i want. I want the Mopar brackets, with the Mopar performance scuff plates. BUT it is a numbered car and I Wonder. I went to buy a Land Rover, and a week later came home with pcp Shaker. My original idea in looking at a Challenger was to make an R/T that looked like the Jeff Dunham Challenger in google Images. What to do? WHAT TO DO?

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you post a pic, or private message me a pic of your challenger, and the silver color you are looking to go for, I'd be more than happy to comp it up in Photoshop for you, that's what I've been doing for what I'm planning to do on my own shaker, I was actually about to post a thread about it.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You know, I've never understood this: You've just bought the car of your dreams and you're already considering selling it or what resale value might be, if you did sell it? It's worth what the market is willing to pay, nothing more, nothing less. Your overinflated ego's that it's a "numbered car" means squat. Ask the 2011 Owners or the 2010 Mopar 10 owners that have already sold their cars, just how much they made off it? For most, not a darn thing. It's a used car. The only difference is yours is, it's a used car w/ a hole in the hood. Get over yourselves, your Challenger is special only in that it's yours.
Having said all that, generally speaking, a completely stock car, regardless of variety will always be worth more than a heavily modified one, with certain exceptions.
Myself, I don't consider resale value, I didn't buy the car thinking already about what I'm gonna get on resale. I bought it to enjoy it for the time I have it. JMHO

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a black 100th Anniversary with factory Shaker option. One of 5 and only 2 black ones. Mine was shipped from Chrysler to Petty's Garage. They did heads, cam, suspension, headers and full magna flow exhaust plus a Hurst comp shifter and a few other minor details. Enjoy your car and do what you want to it. Just save your original parts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I have to admit, I am a purist when it comes to my vehicles. When looking for a used vehicle, I always look for one that is completely stock.

That being said, the KR is different then the GT500 as it has Shelby parts but the manufacturer on record is Shelby America. All the parts are considered OEM.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Mod it and drive it. There are 2000 of them, they arent going to be worth any more than any other Challenger in the future (Unless you have 1 of 5 of the 100th Anniv. Shakers)[/quote]

I don't completely agree (respectfully) with RoostKing. I believe the 2014 Shaker will be worth a bit more than a regular 2014 R/T with the same mileage. If the condition of the Shaker (2014 and numbered) is a non modded car it will bring a bit more than the same car without the Shaker simply because the "I want it factor" on a Shaker will be greater. When all the dust settles on the 2014 models if you parked the exact same car for sale next to one with a Shaker the Shaker would at least be worth $1000.00 or so more. I know I would pay more to get the Shaker. The Shaker has been over marketed by Dodge on the 2015 models and you can't even order it (at this moment). On the 2014 models the dealers in the know ordered the entire allocation of Shaker cars in 4 days but the general public had no idea this car was available to order. Considering how many cars are lost due to accidents each year plus the lack of public information on the 2014 Shaker (I do not consider Challenger Talk public information because the people who use this site are hard core Challenger fans. I'm sure there are an exceptions). I feel that the 2000 made with a number will mean a few dollars to those who keep their cars in as new condition. I'm not against modding your car and if you plan to keep it mod it the way you want, but if you plan on potentially trading or selling the car to move up to the newer technology that will be available in the 2015 and 2016 cars you would do yourself a favor by not modding the car and selling it to a buyer who missed out on the 2014 Shaker because they knew nothing about it until all the 14's were sold. I'm not saying the car won't depreciate but after the $3000 rebate goes away and all 2014 inventories are down to an almost gone level, a Shaker will be the most desirable 2014 model R/T and the 10 or so cars built as 100th anniversary Shakers will bring the most. The remaining 2000 or so will become next most desirable R/T's of 2014. In areas like where I live where even the dealers did not know to order a Shaker or simply did not care (They had customers who wanted them. I am one of those customers) and I am one of those customers that found out about the Shaker car after the allocation was sold out. I could not get a single dealer anywhere close to Alabama to do a dealer trade so that I could buy my Shaker from my dealer of choice. I tried hard to get one transferred in and it could not be done so I went to Atlanta to buy a white Shaker with red interior and automatic because I thought that this was the only Shaker that was available to me. I was on my way to Atlanta to trade my Ram Laramie for a Shaker and my sales person called me when I was about 30 miles away from the dealership and told me that the dealer (Landmark) had sold the car I was driving over to buy. The sales person had no idea what my real preference in options and color were for a Shaker car. He called and he was in apology mode. He told me he had one more Shaker on the lot in the back that had been sitting there long enough to be completely covered with pollen (It was April in the south). The other sales reps were ignoring the car because you could not tell what the heck it was. That's how dirty it had become and it was parked with the front toward the back of the dealership lot (you could not see the Shaker hood) which is huge. The car had not been prepped for sale. The sales person thought I would probably walk because I could not buy the car we had agreed on in price (the White car with red leather). He told me he had a black Shaker with a six speed manual, navigation plus sunroof. This is exactly the way I would have ordered the car if I had been given an opportunity to order. I seller was almost in tears as he described the car to me. He really thought he had lost a sale but in reality he had just described the exact car that I wanted. I pulled my credit card out of my wallet and said nothing except take my credit card number and take a deposit. I will see you in 20 minutes and I will buy that car for the same deal we had previously worked out. The white car had no sunroof so the numbers worked for me because the cost of the sunroof offset any money difference between the white and the black manual transmission car. The Mopar God's were good to me that day. I could not have been happier that the dealership sold the white car although it was a bit unethical to sell the car out from under me but I did no complaining and bought the exact car I wanted. The dealer general manager did a price adjustment because he thought I was settling for a car that I did not want. I did not show my hand but I did by the car as fast as I could get the car paid for. I was so happy to get a black car with a stick and navigation that I had a hard time keeping my poker face on. It all came out to my advantage. I digress but my story was a great one for me to tell.
Back to the point. I think the Shaker R/T's of 2014 will be more desirable in the future than that same R/T with no Shaker and no number on the dash. My other belief is that in the areas of the US like Alabama where no Shaker cars could be found on any dealer lots for a dealer trade they will bring a bit more due to the lack of Shaker cars in the population.
The uniqueness of the Shaker will help it retain more value than an R/T with the same options and no Shaker plus it's number on the dash. One good reason I can make the statement is the fact that I have been talking to my prefered dealer that ordered no Shaker's and they are offering me a good bit more on trade than that of a regular R/T for the 2015 I am considering. I have not decided to order and I will probably have to make a final decision today. It's hard to trade in a car that you have the title to in your safe meaning it's 100 percent paid for. What's drawing me to the 15 model is the improved technology which I have enjoyed in a 2013 Charger RT/RT and also on a Ram Laramie plus the Sublime color which I love. It's a hard decision but if I decide to buy I will have the 15 model paid for by the time it comes in (assuming I order). ;) 984084_10202958781184770_1950927166803159269_n.jpg My car at the dealer on delivery day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
.... which I have enjoyed in a 2013 Charger RT/RT and also on a Ram Laramie plus the Sublime color which I love. It's a hard decision but if I decide to buy I will have the 15 model paid for by the time it comes in (assuming I order). ;) View attachment 256434 My car at the dealer on delivery day.....

Awesome story, it's funny how for most of us, it feels like it was meant to be. I agree with most on here, if you plan to upgrade or sell, I would keep it stock, if you want to fully enjoy the car for however long you will have it, I'd mod it to my liking.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Mod it and drive it. There are 2000 of them, they arent going to be worth any more than any other Challenger in the future (Unless you have 1 of 5 of the 100th Anniv. Shakers)
I don't completely agree (respectfully) with RoostKing. I believe the 2014 Shaker will be worth a bit more than a regular 2014 R/T with the same mileage. If the condition of the Shaker (2014 and numbered) is a non modded car it will bring a bit more than the same car without the Shaker simply because the "I want it factor" on a Shaker will be greater. When all the dust settles on the 2014 models if you parked the exact same car for sale next to one with a Shaker the Shaker would at least be worth $1000.00 or so more. I know I would pay more to get the Shaker. The Shaker has been over marketed by Dodge on the 2015 models and you can't even order it (at this moment). On the 2014 models the dealers in the know ordered the entire allocation of Shaker cars in 4 days but the general public had no idea this car was available to order. Considering how many cars are lost due to accidents each year plus the lack of public information on the 2014 Shaker (I do not consider Challenger Talk public information because the people who use this site are hard core Challenger fans. I'm sure there are an exceptions). I feel that the 2000 made with a number will mean a few dollars to those who keep their cars in as new condition. I'm not against modding your car and if you plan to keep it mod it the way you want, but if you plan on potentially trading or selling the car to move up to the newer technology that will be available in the 2015 and 2016 cars you would do yourself a favor by not modding the car and selling it to a buyer who missed out on the 2014 Shaker because they knew nothing about it until all the 14's were sold. I'm not saying the car won't depreciate but after the $3000 rebate goes away and all 2014 inventories are down to an almost gone level, a Shaker will be the most desirable 2014 model R/T and the 10 or so cars built as 100th anniversary Shakers will bring the most. The remaining 2000 or so will become next most desirable R/T's of 2014. In areas like where I live where even the dealers did not know to order a Shaker or simply did not care (They had customers who wanted them. I am one of those customers) and I am one of those customers that found out about the Shaker car after the allocation was sold out. I could not get a single dealer anywhere close to Alabama to do a dealer trade so that I could buy my Shaker from my dealer of choice. I tried hard to get one transferred in and it could not be done so I went to Atlanta to buy a white Shaker with red interior and automatic because I thought that this was the only Shaker that was available to me. I was on my way to Atlanta to trade my Ram Laramie for a Shaker and my sales person called me when I was about 30 miles away from the dealership and told me that the dealer (Landmark) had sold the car I was driving over to buy. The sales person had no idea what my real preference in options and color were for a Shaker car. He called and he was in apology mode. He told me he had one more Shaker on the lot in the back that had been sitting there long enough to be completely covered with pollen (It was April in the south). The other sales reps were ignoring the car because you could not tell what the heck it was. That's how dirty it had become and it was parked with the front toward the back of the dealership lot (you could not see the Shaker hood) which is huge. The car had not been prepped for sale. The sales person thought I would probably walk because I could not buy the car we had agreed on in price (the White car with red leather). He told me he had a black Shaker with a six speed manual, navigation plus sunroof. This is exactly the way I would have ordered the car if I had been given an opportunity to order. I seller was almost in tears as he described the car to me. He really thought he had lost a sale but in reality he had just described the exact car that I wanted. I pulled my credit card out of my wallet and said nothing except take my credit card number and take a deposit. I will see you in 20 minutes and I will buy that car for the same deal we had previously worked out. The white car had no sunroof so the numbers worked for me because the cost of the sunroof offset any money difference between the white and the black manual transmission car. The Mopar God's were good to me that day. I could not have been happier that the dealership sold the white car although it was a bit unethical to sell the car out from under me but I did no complaining and bought the exact car I wanted. The dealer general manager did a price adjustment because he thought I was settling for a car that I did not want. I did not show my hand but I did by the car as fast as I could get the car paid for. I was so happy to get a black car with a stick and navigation that I had a hard time keeping my poker face on. It all came out to my advantage. I digress but my story was a great one for me to tell.
Back to the point. I think the Shaker R/T's of 2014 will be more desirable in the future than that same R/T with no Shaker and no number on the dash. My other belief is that in the areas of the US like Alabama where no Shaker cars could be found on any dealer lots for a dealer trade they will bring a bit more due to the lack of Shaker cars in the population.
The uniqueness of the Shaker will help it retain more value than an R/T with the same options and no Shaker plus it's number on the dash. One good reason I can make the statement is the fact that I have been talking to my prefered dealer that ordered no Shaker's and they are offering me a good bit more on trade than that of a regular R/T for the 2015 I am considering. I have not decided to order and I will probably have to make a final decision today. It's hard to trade in a car that you have the title to in your safe meaning it's 100 percent paid for. What's drawing me to the 15 model is the improved technology which I have enjoyed in a 2013 Charger RT/RT and also on a Ram Laramie plus the Sublime color which I love. It's a hard decision but if I decide to buy I will have the 15 model paid for by the time it comes in (assuming I order). ;) View attachment 256434 My car at the dealer on delivery day.[/QUOTE]

Sure a Shaker R/T will be worth more than a standard R/T down the road, but that's moreso because you paid much more for it up front. Tell yourself what you have to about collectability, history is not on your side however...but who knows, things can change. Good luck.

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
Mod it and drive it. There are 2000 of them, they arent going to be worth any more than any other Challenger in the future (Unless you have 1 of 5 of the 100th Anniv. Shakers)
The uniqueness of the Shaker will help it retain more value than an R/T with the same options and no Shaker plus it's number on the dash. One good reason I can make the statement is the fact that I have been talking to my prefered dealer that ordered no Shaker's and they are offering me a good bit more on trade than that of a regular R/T for the 2015 I am considering. I have not decided to order and I will probably have to make a final decision today. It's hard to trade in a car that you have the title to in your safe meaning it's 100 percent paid for. What's drawing me to the 15 model is the improved technology which I have enjoyed in a 2013 Charger RT/RT and also on a Ram Laramie plus the Sublime color which I love. It's a hard decision but if I decide to buy I will have the 15 model paid for by the time it comes in (assuming I order). ;) View attachment 256434 My car at the dealer on delivery day.[/QUOTE]

I was in a rush when I wrote that, so I guess is what I meant, is that with so many Challengers sold since 2008 really none of them are going to be worth "Collector" money, like the "classics" are now a days. Mopar 10's are "Limited Edition", as are the Inagural Edition 392's and they are not really commanding a premium and over the same cars of the same year.

Now with the 5, 100 Anniversary Shakers that slipped through, those will probably be the most collectible of the new Challengers in 20 or 30 years.

Lets hope I am wrong though. I just hate to see people either not drive them, thinking they are going to be worth a quarter million in 40 years, or not mod them to their liking, because of what a "purist" would say.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I was in a rush when I wrote that, so I guess is what I meant, is that with so many Challengers sold since 2008 really none of them are going to be worth "Collector" money, like the "classics" are now a days. Mopar 10's are "Limited Edition", as are the Inagural Edition 392's and they are not really commanding a premium and over the same cars of the same year.

Now with the 5, 100 Anniversary Shakers that slipped through, those will probably be the most collectible of the new Challengers in 20 or 30 years.

Lets hope I am wrong though. I just hate to see people either not drive them, thinking they are going to be worth a quarter million in 40 years, or not mod them to their liking, because of what a "purist" would say.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Include the Hellcat, with that. No matter how many are made, I really don't see the hp wars going on much longer, as factory models. There will be a point when the manufactures will realize enough is too much (for the average driver); or the gov't saftey beaurocrats will step in (in our behalf, lol).
Further, who even knows if we'll even be driving (or allowed to drive) gas powered vehilces in 40 yrs? Gas may be upsides of $20.00 for gallon for all we know, in order to be cost prohibitive and force people to purchase alterantive powered transportation. The only thing lacking is infrastructure, and once someone figures out how to make vialble batteries or hydrogen fuel cells, and either the gov't or private enterprize decides it's time, the infrastructure will be put in place and shortly after that....no more gas stations.
Cars have always been poor investments. Use them now, for your enjoyment and worry about what they'll be worth when you're 70 and say: "I had good memories with that Challenger." Change is inevitable.

·
Registered
118 Posts
ImageUploadedByAG Free1406632588.603645.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1406632608.772867.jpg
I couldn't agree more. I have the first of the 5 anniversary shakers and it got the Petty upgrades. I saved all the original parts for history sake. But the bottom line is that I am driving it daily and having lots of old fashioned fun with it😜

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I spent quite a bit of time in the 1990s entering my ground-up restored 1971 Mercedes 280SL roadster in concours events all over California, and won some best in class trophies against some pretty serious competition over the years. One year, my car scored 93 out of 100 points at the Santa Barbara Concours d'Elegance, which is a major show. The majority of points that are awarded at these shows usually come from three distinct areas: 1) The cars' significance, 2) the quality of its restoration & show prep, and finally and most importantly, 3) Factory correctness. The name of the game in that world is no mods. Everything must be exactly the way the car looked when it left the factory.

Owing to this, I still find myself in that mindset when it comes to all of the cars in my collection, be they old or new. But when I bought my 2012 SRT8 392, I suddenly found myself getting interested in the concept of performance modding the car, doing all the work myself. I struggled with actually pulling the trigger on the mods I was interested in for a long time. On the one hand, I wanted to enjoy the pastime of tweaking and augmenting my muscle car, and on the other, I felt compelled to keep the car bone stock. I have never considered any of the cars in my collection to be investments, but rather as vehicles that are special and iconic to me and that I intend to keep in perpetuity. So it really isn't about depreciation, but rather that concours mentality of factory correct being close to godliness.

To make a long story short, after much back and forth I finally hit upon a way to satisfy both desires. So here are my rules for mods: I allow myself to do any mod I want so long as it meets the criteria that it can only be a bolt on or software mod that can very easily be brought back to stock if say in 20 years I want to show the car in a concours event; the mod must not be outwardly visible, with the exception of a few MOPAR under hood pieces such as a CAI; and finally the mod must not require any drilling or other modifications to any original parts or structures.

If you look down at my list of mods in my signature, you'll see that I have done a fair amount of performance tweaking, but the tweaks are all such that the car still looks BONE STOCK inside and out. I even reused the OEM factory tips on my Magnaflow exhaust.

So there you have it. Hope this helped.

- Rob

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
The uniqueness of the Shaker will help it retain more value than an R/T with the same options and no Shaker plus it's number on the dash. One good reason I can make the statement is the fact that I have been talking to my prefered dealer that ordered no Shaker's and they are offering me a good bit more on trade than that of a regular R/T for the 2015 I am considering. I have not decided to order and I will probably have to make a final decision today. It's hard to trade in a car that you have the title to in your safe meaning it's 100 percent paid for. What's drawing me to the 15 model is the improved technology which I have enjoyed in a 2013 Charger RT/RT and also on a Ram Laramie plus the Sublime color which I love. It's a hard decision but if I decide to buy I will have the 15 model paid for by the time it comes in (assuming I order). ;) View attachment 256434 My car at the dealer on delivery day.

Lets hope I am wrong though. I just hate to see people either not drive them, thinking they are going to be worth a quarter million in 40 years, or not mod them to their liking, because of what a "purist" would say.[/QUOTE]

I do drive mine but I am very fortunate to have a Ram Big Horn Quad cab for use as our family truckster. My Challer only goes on the trips I want it to go on. I am 50 years old so I don't care about 50 years from now. I just enjoy keeping my Challenger in excellent condition for me and not even for my Wife who by choice drives a 4dr 2013 Honda Civic EX, Navi. I don't drive my Challenger in the rain and that's my choice. I do take my car to cruise inn's and shows. I don't care if i win anything. It's fun being around other car people and talking cars. It's not my wifes favorite subject. I am a proud member of the BMOC. Birmingham Mopar Owner's Club.:5:

21 - 40 of 46 Posts