Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I want to change my hood for a shaker hood and people recommended Cervini's. I went to order one and they told me that since I live in CA it is illegal. Anyone know about this? They said it would not pass smog test. I am bummed now.

·
Registered
16,215 Posts
Obviously Cervini's does not agree.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
590 Posts
Your telling me No Dodge Dealer in CA Sells a Shaker Hood Car because its deemed Illegal ?
It's aftermarket, not OEM, so I believe they would have to spend a bunch of money to get it CARB certified for street use in CA.

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
It's aftermarket, not OEM, so I believe they would have to spend a bunch of money to get it CARB certified for street use in CA.
I believe and I could be wrong, that they would have to spend 50 grand for it to get CARB certified. They obviously don't think it's viable to do so.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
Exactly.

Crazy California again.

It’s not the hood, it’s the air box that makes the shaker functional that is not legal. The intake needs to be carb approved, not the hood.
This, former smog tech here, anything beyond the air filter is fair game, factory parts generally don't raise an eyebrow either. For example, the hellcat lower airbox is good to go because it is in the airstream before the filter. The upper airbox is technically required to remain stock, so the change to the SRT airbox lid with the smooth top is TECHNICALLY illegal. Being a factory airbox lid, it is unlikely the smog guy would even look twice at it as it still appears stock, and it would take some research to realize that the hellcat lid did not come stock on an RT, SRT or Scat.

So the Cervini kit should actually be ok, if you were to use the Mopar filter and tube. However since they include the filter, heat shield around the filter (that also connects to the shaker, which by itself does not need to be certified) and the intake tube, it would have to be CARB approved.

Best bet is to order the Mopar parts, even if they were not the OE configuration on your car, they won't flag the smog tech to take a deeper dive on what mods you have made.

Have you tried emailing them and asking if they will ship the kit "for offroad use only" ?

·
Registered
224 Posts
The “for off-road use only” has basically been killed by the EPA (unless you can provide proof, whatever that may be). They are coming down hard on tuners and vendors selling smog defeat tunes/parts or non smog complaint parts. These was a thread floating around last month. Huge fines involved.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
The “for off-road use only” has basically been killed by the EPA (unless you can provide proof, whatever that may be). They are coming down hard on tuners and vendors selling of smog defeat tunes/parts or non smog complaint parts. These was a thread floating around last month. Huge fines involved.
whelp, time to move -__-

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Time for a new car or a new state. Not gonna be cheap either way. At least the second option fixes the problem.....permanently!

·
Registered
121 Posts
...here is a Shaker Challenger in LA.........

No one thinks that shakers aren’t allowed in California.
The particular shaker hood he wants to add to his current car just can’t be shipped to California.
There are PLENTY of shakers out here as the mopar system is street legal. The one mentioned in his original post is not.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,715 Posts
Again, Shaker cars from the factory, or even converting yours using factory parts are not the issue. The issue is Cervanis would have to go through expensive testing to get a CARB EO# and they obviously won't be bothered for a limited reward. If their system did not change the stock intake path, it wouldn't be an issue

It's the same with CAIs, except of course, that is the entire product, but they have to get CARB EO#s as well if they want them to be legal in states that use Californias standards. My AirAid CAI has a EO# and is 50 state legal

A Guy

Reactions: ClaviusBase

·
Registered
16,215 Posts
...here is a Shaker Challenger in LA.........

Not the point. Of course FCA can sell new Shakers as they have passed emissions and are certified for sale. The issue is a company is not allowed to sell something that modifies the original car with regards to intake and possible emissions in California unless they obtain a CARB exemption and guess Cervini's didn't feel it was worth it to go through all the testing and expense.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Not the point. Of course FCA can sell new Shakers as they have passed emissions and are certified for sale. The issue is a company is not allowed to sell something that modifies the original car with regards to intake and possible emissions in California unless they obtain a CARB exemption and guess Cervini's didn't feel it was worth it to go through all the testing and expense.

Yes, the point, to me, is the oppressive over regulation in California.

Reactions: 6.4Mike
1 - 20 of 24 Posts