Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started a project that I have been wanting to do for some time now. I am not the biggest fan of the 5.7 hemi cover and did not like the way the intake looked so I decided to smooth it out and color match it to my car.

Once I saw this thread I got really motivated to do it:
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/5-7-intake-smoothing-shaving-project-96863/

My car is parked for the winter and I have some leave time so I decided now is the time!

So far I have removed the Intake Manifold, Shaved all the plastic tabs I didn't want and applied some spot putty to fill in low spots and minor imperfections. Going on a family ski trip so work will resume in a few days.

I have a few more pics from the work already done and will be posting more as I progress through the project.

Hope this motivates someone to try this project.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Good luck with the project. Did mine last year and definitely can be a tedious project but well worth it in the end.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally finished project. It was a pain but I am so stoked with the outcome.

Anyone thinking about doing and have question feel free to ask.

Good Luck

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,290 Posts
Nice work. It looks good.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Why, Hell yes............

I almost lose sleep thinking about how ugly the intake is on my otherwise bad ass Challenger.
next to the stock crappy exhaust tips the intake is the 2nd worst thing on it.

This really looks like a good thing to do! Good Job Dude!

David

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
How much time is involved?

Started a project that I have been wanting to do for some time now. I am not the biggest fan of the 5.7 hemi cover and did not like the way the intake looked so I decided to smooth it out and color match it to my car.

Once I saw this thread I got really motivated to do it:
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/5-7-intake-smoothing-shaving-project-96863/

My car is parked for the winter and I have some leave time so I decided now is the time!

So far I have removed the Intake Manifold, Shaved all the plastic tabs I didn't want and applied some spot putty to fill in low spots and minor imperfections. Going on a family ski trip so work will resume in a few days.

I have a few more pics from the work already done and will be posting more as I progress through the project.

Hope this motivates someone to try this project.

Enjoy!
So do you have to replace gaskets or what else is involved doing this project?
I've been thinking about just painting some clear but look at this I guess it would look too "Vato"

david

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
This is cool.

It makes it look like it's made of metal instead of plastic (or whatever it's made of....stuff looks cheap).

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly it looks great but why didn't u change the fuel rails and crossover tube? All that work just to have that dumb plumbing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I have a long term goal for what I want the engine bay to look like. Its more like a long term project for me. Not having much cash for an expensive mod i wanted to do something that was cheap to do. I dont have much time off and knowing the project was going to take some time i did it over some leave time i had. Next will be fuel rails, strut bars, CAI etc.... I need an idea for half covers. I wanna do something different.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whats up with the MILF on the wall?

HAHAHA Long story.... so here it is.

Car is park at my parents place for the winter.
My parents got married in 1990. Their quote for their marriage is make it last forever... (MILF), this was before American Pie :)

So my parents have kept the saying, so around the house their are a couple of things that have milf on them.. Makes for a funny story.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So do you have to replace gaskets or what else is involved doing this project?
I've been thinking about just painting some clear but look at this I guess it would look too "Vato"

david
removal and assembly is very easy...

To remove it I followed instructions for installing a supercharger cuz it had instructions for intake removal.

Gaskets I reused. Might replace them in the spring. When I did the project it was over a leave period i had and i ran out of time to buy new ones. Should have done that in advance. Gaskets where in great condition though.

Removing all the plastic tabs was by far the hardest part.

This project takes TIME and Patience.

Used a dremel files and lots of sand paper

Used spot puddy (for low spots) adhesion promoter, primer and High Temp paint

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I almost lose sleep thinking about how ugly the intake is on my otherwise bad ass Challenger.
next to the stock crappy exhaust tips the intake is the 2nd worst thing on it.

This really looks like a good thing to do! Good Job Dude!

David
Thanks!

I felt the same way... love the way it came out... HIGHLY encourage the project if you have the time and patience...

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
HAHAHA Long story.... so here it is.

Car is park at my parents place for the winter.
My parents got married in 1990. Their quote for their marriage is make it last forever... (MILF), this was before American Pie :)

So my parents have kept the saying, so around the house their are a couple of things that have milf on them.. Makes for a funny story.
I had to give my wife the MILF certificate last year when the high school kids on her bus that she drove were calling out MILF out loud.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts