Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I just tried to start my 392 and all that happens is that the ignition clicks, but she won't turn over. I really doubt that it's a dead battery because the headlights, radio, and interior lights are all running. When I start it up the whole system seems to flash and then its just in the electronics mode after attempting a start. I tried using the key fob as an actual key but still no luck. What do I do???

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Sounds like you might have a loose ground at either your starter or battery. I would check your battery connections in the trunk first then check under the hood at the ground and the red positive leads and lastly check the connection at the starter terminal. It has to be one of the three locations, good luck!!! "Good point S/S DODGE if it's clicking it needs a charge but my 2010 SRT8 challenger had a loos ground at the starter and it acted the same way.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You just spent a large amount of money, it won't start, call the dealer and tell them to come and pick it up. Let the deal with it. Hassel them for not checking out the car before releasing it to you. Don't let them off the hook. You paid for it, they have to service it. If not then you go the owners manual and you go for Dodge's zone rep. All Dodge dealers have to honor the warranty not just the selling dealer.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm now thinking its a dead battery as well. Just never understand that there's enough power to run the #$!%ing radio but not enough to start the engine. They should call me back tomorrow, I left a message with my dealer so hopefully they'll send a truck out tomorrow and he can jump it for me if we haven't drowned in the flooding we're having here. I'm still unsure about the Malfunction Indicator Light being on. I went through the entire EVIC and could not find any code for the problem. I don't want them to tow her away if its raining tomorrow either as I'm trying my hardest to keep her out of the rain.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Good luck bro. Did you have one of those "trunk monkeys" that may have done this to your battery?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to jump her tomorrow and if she runs and the MIL light goes away after that then I won't tell them to come, but if it stays on I'll probably drive it in to get it checked out. Really frustrated over this whole thing hopefully I can start racking up some miles on her in a couple weeks and everything will clear itself up.....
I was actually looking in the trunk at the battery and heard the trunk monkey for the first time haha

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah try & jump it first. Sometimes you get a real tool to come out.
If your insurance covers it call them.
I hear that.
Lucky the battery is in the trunk because its dead in my garage. But now I gotta rely on the German car to save me :bang:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Put a battery charger on it overnight. If it charges and starts you are fine. Don't just jump it and feel all is good. running a car on a discharged battery puts a strain on the charging system and could cause more problems..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah, that is an interesting note with the battery. I'm thinking of eventually getting a vehicle battery tender and a heavy-duty battery load tester...

I used to keep a spare battery and a set of jumper cables in the trunk of my old car so I could jump myself if the battery died...:cowtounge:

Hope you get your battery up and running soon!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How long should I let the charger run in order to have enough juice to not do damage? I'm borrowing one from my friend but won't be able to put it on until 5 or 6 tonight. Want to get her started tonight though maybe go for a drive.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Your key may need to be reprogramed, exact same thing happened to me in a 2007 Dodge truck, did everything but start. Dealer said the key lost it's programing somehow.

·
Registered
98 Posts
SHE won't start ! Don't call a car SHE , and you will not have any more problems ! Always remember if it's got bo#bs or wheels and called SHE it's going to give you problems ! And I'm married for 40 years, a badge of WISDOM !.....John

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My guess is you should let the charger run for the night and try and boost the car in the morning.
As already said, a charged battery will minimise the strain on the charging system.
You may also consider (before charging) disconnecting the battery for a few minutes as to clear the computer. This may just get rid of your MIL, then charge the battery.
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts