Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed any slight sheet metal rippling on the roof? I don't think it was there when I bought it. It seems to be getting a little worse as time goes by. It is on each side of the car just above the small side windows. I love my car and keep trying to ignore it but it is getting harder.

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Mine is a 2009 and I do not have that problem. Any chance you are leaning on the car while cleaning/waxing/etc. The sheet metal is very thin...

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Do you have any pictures of this problem?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ripples

Mine is also a 2009. NO I'm not leaning on it. I know better than that. I will try to get some pics this weekend. It might be hard to get the camera to pick it up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have this same issue on the 2010 SRT8. On both sides. It bothers me as well

·
Registered
710 Posts
I noticed on mine looking at it at the right angle it looked like someone gave the car a couple of karate chops over the drivers side door window on the panel in between the window and roof. Others have noticed this also on their cars.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Here is some pics of the drivers side. It's kinda hard to see but they are there.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Mine are close to the trim piece on the roof

·
Registered
602 Posts
I looked mine over using black and white bars printed on a sheet of paper and I don't have these ripples on mine.

I wonder if it's stress being placed on these areas due to flexing as the car is driven.

A lof of the classic muscle cars has problems with cracking of the sheet metal where the roof meets the rear window. I guess it's possible something similar is happening at the roof line on the challengers.

You'd think computer simulations would have located problems like this during the designing of the Challenger, however.

I did just notice that the quarter panels have an indentation just behind the doors.

·
Registered
307 Posts
That looks just like what I have. Mine is on both sides also. Have you taken your car in for this?
No I haven't. I'm think about taking it to dent wizard and have them look at it. But I'm not looking forward to dropping my headliner

·
Registered
448 Posts
If the "ripples" are at one or more corners of the sun roof it's probably due to the extending and retraction of the sunroof motor pulling on the roof sheet metal...
My last 4 cars (charger, 300, 2 challengers ALL had this very "slight" indent at 2 or more corners on the sunroof....especially after using the sunroof for a few months.
I just lived with it.

...Seamaster...

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I have the ripples in rear quarters on the area from the top line of the quarter to the crease where it begins to bend down. It is very annoying and I am starting to wonder now if maybe some one has pressed against it, I am not doing it - very careful with waxing washing what makes me think it might be torx is i have them on a rear quarter where no one can get near the car I only have 2000 miles on my 2010. The worst part is I have had a PDR look at it and he didnt want to mess with it he also told me thought it was from the car torqing and flexing that the sheetmetal is very thin almost Japnese thin which he said is the the thinest.

·
Registered
497 Posts
HOLY CRAP, I was sitting at the gas station today and realized I have ripples between the sun roof the the drivers side panel. Now that I noticed that I'm not going to be able to live with it %$#@! Did the forum search and this thread came up. What kind of crap are they trying to peddle off on us consumers LOL. That metal must be paper thin.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a 09 challenger & noticed the ripples on both sides of the roof. Bought the car out of state. Traded it in ( not because of that) on a 2011 SRT. This one does not have that problem. I'm sure the ripples were there when I got the car from the dealer. Go over your car very carfully when you pick it up to check for any flaws. A Dodge dealer told me that some of the panels fit are not perfect. Are the people inspecting these cars blind?

1 - 20 of 178 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.