Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 is, apparently, hunting big cats. According to Motor Trend, in 2019, a 700 hp.+ version will be released. It will feature a supercharged 5.2 flat-plane crank V8. The selling price is expected to be around $65,000 to compete with Dodge's 707 hp. Hellcat and Chevy's 650 hp. ZL1Camaro.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 is, apparently, hunting big cats. According to Motor Trend, in 2019, a 700 hp.+ version will be released. It will feature a supercharged 5.2 flat-plane crank V8. The selling price is expected to be around $65,000 to compete with Dodge's 707 hp. Hellcat and Chevy's 650 hp. ZL1Camaro.
"compete with"?

If the new Mustang brings 700HP plus, a 10 speed auto and maintains it's current weight of well under 2 tons........it will leap frog the idea of Competitor for the Hell Cat to a place where Dodge will need to either find 850HP in a new Hell Cat Motor or reduce the weight by 500pds.

Two cars of just equal power under the hood yet coming to competition with a 500 pd weight difference aren't really serious competitors......they are two cars pretty far apart in terms of potential at the drag strip.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Thanks Cuda. I was just thinking that nobody is backing off on the race to produce more and more power.

I never thought I'd see this day.

Going back just a few years, with all the focus on America's dependence of foreign oil and CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards instituted by Congress, whoda thunk that the closer we got to those all important CAFE deadlines, the MORE horsepower we would still be able to enjoy?

Back in the day, as we saw available muscle car horsepower climbing close to 500, the pressure from safety groups, environmental concerns and insurance companies caused Congress to put the clamps on automakers. Many of us remember the immediate and devastating results as our beloved monster motors were first neutered and eventually phased out. By '76, horsepower was dead and we were supposed to be thankful that we still had trees to hug.

The future looked bleak.

Even with the resurgence of genuine horsepower just a decade ago, we assumed history would repeat itself. After all, the instigators that put the pressure on Washington to kill horsepower were still alive and well on planet earth. All the grumblings from Washington and the predictions we heard online led us to believe that technology would be outpaced by governmental induced restrictions. The question was, "How soon?"

But just like Gomer Pyle used to say, "SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE !!!" We can save up all our nickels, go out tomorrow and order up 600 plus horsepower from anyone of the big three. Of course only one of those offerings is actually worth the money, but I'll admit I'm prejudiced.

We are truly living in a golden age, gentlemen.

·
Super Moderator
13,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"compete with"?Two cars of just equal power under the hood yet coming to competition with a 500 pd weight difference aren't really serious competitors......they are two cars pretty far apart in terms of potential at the drag strip.

You're 100% correct. In drag racing, it's all about power-to-weight.

This 1/4 mile estimator illustrates your point. When you play around with the horsepower, you can easily see how a car with less horsepower and less weight can out perform a heavier car with more horsepower.

https://robrobinette.com/et.htm

·
Super Moderator
13,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to Car & Driver, the exact horsepower rating will be issued this summer- a few months before the GT500 goes on sale. Their guess is that it will come in around 720 hp. with 650 lb/ft of torque. They conclude that "The GT should trounce the Hellcat...even the 797-hp. Hellcat Redeye Widebody...Advantage Ford."

One cool option is the Carbon Fiber Track Package. It includes carbon fiber wheels (a 60-lb. savings over standard aluminum wheels), Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 track tires, an adjustable carbon fiber wing (identical to the GT4 race car), a rear-seat delete and front dive planes.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
According to Car & Driver, the exact horsepower rating will be issued this summer- a few months before the GT500 goes on sale. Their guess is that it will come in around 720 hp. with 650 lb/ft of torque. They conclude that "The GT should trounce the Hellcat...even the 797-hp. Hellcat Redeye Widebody...Advantage Ford."

One cool option is the Carbon Fiber Track Package. It includes carbon fiber wheels (a 60-lb. savings over standard aluminum wheels), Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 track tires, an adjustable carbon fiber wing (identical to the GT4 race car), a rear-seat delete and front dive planes.
It's not hard to imagine that we're in for BIG CHANGES in the Challenger pretty soon.

Gone, and well behind Dodge, is the idea of sticking with the heavier body and putting the previously unexpected insane HP (707) under the hood to beat the competition at the drag strip despite a much heavier body to get off the line.

Dodge will now face a competition willing to go to the same crazy big HP #s and it can't really expect to win this fight while bringing 500 extra pounds to the starting line.

Don't even get me started on what happens if one of the 3 competitors decide the instant torque of electric is the way to go ......at that point it probably changes everything and when previously skeptical consumers get that first drive.......it's going to completely redefine what we think of when we say, "that's a very fast accelerating car"

·
Super Moderator
13,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't even get me started on what happens if one of the 3 competitors decide the instant torque of electric is the way to go ......at that point it probably changes everything and when previously skeptical consumers get that first drive.......it's going to completely redefine what we think of when we say, "that's a very fast accelerating car"
I was given a ride in a Tesla. The acceleration was a real eye-opener.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ford filed a patent for a hybrid engine that can run electric engines on the front wheels and gas powered for the rear. No idea what the application will be, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-patent-application-awd-hybrid-v8/

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
It's not hard to imagine that we're in for BIG CHANGES in the Challenger pretty soon.

Gone, and well behind Dodge, is the idea of sticking with the heavier body and putting the previously unexpected insane HP (707) under the hood to beat the competition at the drag strip despite a much heavier body to get off the line.

Dodge will now face a competition willing to go to the same crazy big HP #s and it can't really expect to win this fight while bringing 500 extra pounds to the starting line.

Good for them.

Hopefully the Challenger doesn't lose any of it's everyday usability in the race to please rich kids/boomers and their "fastest from the factory" hard-ons.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thanks Cuda. I was just thinking that nobody is backing off on the race to produce more and more power.

I never thought I'd see this day.

Going back just a few years, with all the focus on America's dependence of foreign oil and CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards instituted by Congress, whoda thunk that the closer we got to those all important CAFE deadlines, the MORE horsepower we would still be able to enjoy?

Back in the day, as we saw available muscle car horsepower climbing close to 500, the pressure from safety groups, environmental concerns and insurance companies caused Congress to put the clamps on automakers. Many of us remember the immediate and devastating results as our beloved monster motors were first neutered and eventually phased out. By '76, horsepower was dead and we were supposed to be thankful that we still had trees to hug.

The future looked bleak.

Even with the resurgence of genuine horsepower just a decade ago, we assumed history would repeat itself. After all, the instigators that put the pressure on Washington to kill horsepower were still alive and well on planet earth. All the grumblings from Washington and the predictions we heard online led us to believe that technology would be outpaced by governmental induced restrictions. The question was, "How soon?"

But just like Gomer Pyle used to say, "SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE !!!" We can save up all our nickels, go out tomorrow and order up 600 plus horsepower from anyone of the big three. Of course only one of those offerings is actually worth the money, but I'll admit I'm prejudiced.

We are truly living in a golden age, gentlemen.
No doubt about it, this is the Golden Age!

The brand new cars are crazy fast, full of the latest tech and get all the press at launch.
Then they quickly fade away, as the NEXT higher HP/faster car is introduced.
A continuous cycle.

IMHO, the real cars to be excited about are the 5-10yr old used Sports cars/Muscle cars.

These beauty's are still amazing performers, but now can be had at much more affordable prices. The used market is chock full of them.
Similar to the "Good Old Days" of used affordable muscle cars, that was the mid to late 70's.
That was the car culture that I personally wished I could have been a part of. ( unfortunately, I was still too young)
By the time I was able to take part in the car scene, most (if not all) of the cool stuff had all ready skyrocketed in value and was far out of my reach.

Thankfully (for modern day car guys/gals) that has NOT happened yet.

If your not hung up on having to have the absolute NEWEST thing, there is a lot to choose from. There is something out there for most everyone's taste and budget.

Yeah, these are the "Good Old Days"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well lets load up 5 passengers each and go race ! Oh ....wait .........Mustang is a tiny, barely four passenger, PONYCAR. The Mustang rear seat is pretty much non-functional. Challenger is a five passenger MUSCLECAR. Silly to compare different classes of vehicles.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The price range is still a big difference here. At the same token you could compare cars to the GT500 that would make it look silly. A hellcat, which I believe goes new for 60K ish, is well below the price point of the GT500. If I remember correctly the GT350 was 80-90k ish? Plus no manual for the GT500......

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
The price range is still a big difference here. At the same token you could compare cars to the GT500 that would make it look silly. A hellcat, which I believe goes new for 60K ish, is well below the price point of the GT500. If I remember correctly the GT350 was 80-90k ish? Plus no manual for the GT500......
Good luck getting dealers to let the car go for MSRP.

It's going to be marked up out the ass.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You're 100% correct. In drag racing, it's all about power-to-weight.

This 1/4 mile estimator illustrates your point. When you play around with the horsepower, you can easily see how a car with less horsepower and less weight can out perform a heavier car with more horsepower.

https://robrobinette.com/et.htm
It’s also about putting that power down. If the GT500 has a road racing suspension it will spin. That’s why results need to be real life and not just on paper.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
The new GT500 top speed is limited to 180 mph. https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1122051_2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-limited-to-180-mph-slower-than-camaro-zl1

It's not hunting any big cats if it can't catch them.
To me, top speed is irrelevant. Where can you go 180 mph or more, except on Germany's Autobahn?
Not often that's for sure, but I'm thinking the mile drag events in places like Texas, or Bonneville festival of speed if you don't mind salt. Events like that are what some people buy them for I think.

Me personally I would rarely, if ever, get the opportunity. But top speed isn't just a number that you can't always reach, it's an engineering feat. When you're talking about performance cars, top speed is part of the discussion. Given that the last GT500 was a 200 mph car, and that the new one has more power, the expectations were higher.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts