Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I already know its been asked I just need to make up my mind if I really need stabil in the tank? do I need a trickle down charger? I plan on driving it when its nice out if its not too cold...please advise
john t

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Hi all I already know its been asked I just need to make up my mind if I really need stabil in the tank? do I need a trickle down charger? I plan on driving it when its nice out if its not too cold...please advise
john t
you don't need any of that crap. just fill the tank up with good gas

·
Registered
585 Posts
gonna reply to this. First, I've never stored any vehicle MC or auto, I keep them road ready and drive them year round,when in North Dakota or Kansas. But to your question, if you are going to stash this car long term. I would use Stabil by the directions, fill the tank and dose it. Keeps condensation minimal. Also if able I would trickle the battery all year long with a automatic charging device that will take it up to full charge and trickle it with a low current maintenance fix. These things will not adversely affect the car and if you decide to drive, your good. Kind of depends on what you consider winter, long like months or shorter like weeks. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
If you use premium grade fuel you shouldn't need any as many of the additives in stabil are used in premium fuel.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Use it. I store several cars over the winter. Fill the tank with gas and put in Stabil as per directions.
I even use it in my snow blower and lawnmower.

·
Banned
675 Posts
nope, your fine without it, top the gas tank off and you will be fine. Never used it in any of my old cars, never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
If you are parking it for more than a few weeks, you need a battery maintainer - I use the Battery Tender.

As for the Stabil, I use it in all my power equipment but not the vehicles.

·
Registered
585 Posts
profjohn33, take one coin, flipit, call it in the air LOL

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'd still put a battery maintainer on it,

As for the necessity of fuel additives for vehicle storage, the owners manual makes no mention one way or the other, but many do add Stabile or other similar fuel perservative / stabilizers if it's going to be sitting all winter just for peace of mind.

Top the tank off to reduce air volume to mitigate condensation, etc.
:smoker:

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I didn't do anything to mine either of the last 2 winters and I had no problems.

However, I did start it up every month or 2 and let it warm up to operating temps.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I use Stabil in my car and I live in sunny southern commifornia. I had a bad experience with gas stored in my motorcycle while I was on deployment. Since using either Stabil or Seafoam (both work great) I have never had another problem. FWIW, gas sould stay "good" for about six months. My deployment where I had the bad experience was nine months long...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Well it appears you can flip a coin on the gas issue. I use stabil in my gas generator because it may sit for 6 months or more. I have stored my boat every winter for the last 3-4 years without adding anything, ditto for my motorcycle. I do make sure that I fill up with 100% gasoline (no ethanol) and I started my bike and boat at least once a month in both cases the storage is usually 2 1/2 - 3 months (December to late February).

Everyone seems to agree on the battery... use a trickle charger. There is always going to be some residual draw on the system and you don't want the battery going to zero. Like some others I also use the Battery Tender brand.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Not so fast, the gas will loose some of it's octane as it sits around and depending on where you live winter gas is what's available. I would only have about ten gallons gas and the stabli, this way in the spring you can top it off with good premium gas and go.
Also a battery tender would be good.
Tout09

·
Registered
954 Posts
fill the tank up to full and add octane booster or stabil or lucas(any quality additive)and a trickle charger would be good,it will keep the battery plates from sulfiding and prolong battery life

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
I use SeaFoam in my boat and jet ski's it does better than stabil. Clean's out the fuel system real good. I would also have to say that on a new car nothing really has to be done it's going to start just fine in the spring as far as the gas goes anyway.
If you use anything though use seafoam. IMO

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
if you have e10 or worse use stabil no doubt.. other wise id still use it but as a recommendation not a rule..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Looks like we have people on both sides of the issue and I'm not smart enough to know for sure so I use a simple rule on my cars. Better off safe than sorry. My $.02.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
From the experiences of friends on the coast, I would only use the Stabil that's reccomended for boats. The auto mix tends to gum up especially in boats that don't get used often. I would also try to find a station that sells ethanol-free gas and top it off so there is less chance of condensation. The ethanol turns into formic acid and will reak havoc on fuel systems if left to sit. We just had to get an Al tank replaced in Dad's boat that has corroded from the inside out due to ethanol laced gas sitting for too long (about 3-5yrs). I use a trickel on my Indy and it works great IMO.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
As opposed to..."bad gas"?

Yea, I use bad gas during the summer months but always switch to "good gas" to store it in the winter.lol

Use a battery minder and fill it up. Battery minders extend the life of most auto and motorcycle batteries. I have found on average 2 to 3 times longer.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts