Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a few times, when the temperatures are cold (20's to 40's), and while the car has yet to reach operating temperature (i always remote start for no less than 2+ minutes) my transmission at times, 3rd to 4th gear, does a quick hesitation (with a slight rpm bump). almost sounds like a slip at shift. This is only a one time event while cold and does not repeat itself during the drive. Has anyone had a similar experience. No code has registered.

·
Super Moderator
15,059 Posts
during cold warm up driving, its normal for the automatic to delay upshifts - this helps get the cats up to operating temp faster by holding revs higher.

·
Registered
828 Posts
It's normal for an automatic to do that when it's cold. You being from Texas wouldn't know that ;) My truck shifts extremely sluggish when it gets to around 10 or less degrees because of my deep transmission pan. The fluid has to get warm before it operates normally.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Its not higher rpm Its like it shifts to 4th too soon and slips a little. Mine has done it since day one. I usually auto stick for a few minutes so i can have the rpm around 2500 before i shift to 4th.

·
Super Moderator
15,059 Posts
What you could also feel is the torque converter clutch engaging / dis-engaging.

From 3rd gear on up (light loads) the TCC locks up...when there's more load, it will unlock (higher rpm) and if there's more load/throttle you'll then get a downshift.

I can feather the throttle on my 'Benz (same A5 trans) and get the TCC to unlock when I want a bit more acceleration w/o triggering an outright downshift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts