Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Dodge challenger rallye redline
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so for the shift indicator light change i ordered the 74 led bulb ill put a link below to the site. to change out the shift indicator start by opening your center console arm rest then grab the top side on either side of the cup holders and pull up it will separate the top half of the center console then unplug the cig outlet and the power to the cup holders then it gives you full access to the top of the shift plate. from the drivers side you will see a wire going towards the middle of the shift indicator twist the bulb and it will pull right out and just simply pull out the old bulb and push in the new one then the rest is just the reverse order of how you took it apart and the shift light is done! i went a few steps further just to check out how it all worked so some pictures are just to see how it all went together.
74 LED Bulb - 1 LED Wedge Base | Subminiature | Specialty & Automotive | Universal LED Bulb Finder | Super Bright LEDs

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i also did the cup holders and changed the green to red. so with my 5mm red leds they are rated at 2.4volts and when i used my fluke to read what kind of voltage the stock leds were running and i found that they were using 5.7volts which is above what my leds are rated for so i had to get a resistor to take the 5.7volts down to the working load limit of my leds to 2.4volts and with a online converter i found out i needed to use a 47ohm resistor. REMEMBER EACH LED HAS DIFFERENT RATINGS SO THE 47OHM RESISTOR MIGHT NOT BE THE ONE YOU NEED SO MAKE SURE YOU FIND OUT HOW MANY VOLTS IS ITS MAX. my forward voltage for my led was 2.2v and its max was 2.6v and so in between is safe so i shot for 2.4v to be safe but its also above the min you dont want to go under the minimum volts for it.

here is my leds i used 5mm Red LED | Through Hole LEDs | Component LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

this is the web site i used to find out what resistor i needed
LED series parallel array wizard

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Question

i also did the cup holders and changed the green to red. so with my 5mm red leds they are rated at 2.4volts and when i used my fluke to read what kind of voltage the stock leds were running and i found that they were using 5.7volts which is above what my leds are rated for so i had to get a resistor to take the 5.7volts down to the working load limit of my leds to 2.4volts and with a online converter i found out i needed to use a 47ohm resistor. REMEMBER EACH LED HAS DIFFERENT RATINGS SO THE 47OHM RESISTOR MIGHT NOT BE THE ONE YOU NEED SO MAKE SURE YOU FIND OUT HOW MANY VOLTS IS ITS MAX. my forward voltage for my led was 2.2v and its max was 2.6v and so in between is safe so i shot for 2.4v to be safe but its also above the min you dont want to go under the minimum volts for it.

here is my leds i used 5mm Red LED | Through Hole LEDs | Component LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

this is the web site i used to find out what resistor i needed
LED series parallel array wizard
Did you happen to check if the voltage changes when you dim/brighten if they do with the dash? havnt drove the car in 2 month's and its covered up and on jack stands so I could be completely off the wall with the question.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In the winter

Its all good! The weather keeping you from driving?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I set the car up on jackstands under the a arm's in a building covered up because in Missouri we can get some pretty nasty weather. Also its not that but other people driving scare's me.
Lots of bad drivers out there.
Winter driver posted in attachment's. At least its a hemi keeps my spirits up.

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Awesome work! Ordering some blue LED's right now. They will match nicely with my blue switches on the aftermarket control panel. I think the next thing for me to check out will be getting rid of the green indicators on the radio bezel for AC controls and heated seats. im betting i can swap those bulbs out as well but i'll have to check

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Awesome work! Ordering some blue LED's right now. They will match nicely with my blue switches on the aftermarket control panel. I think the next thing for me to check out will be getting rid of the green indicators on the radio bezel for AC controls and heated seats. im betting i can swap those bulbs out as well but i'll have to check
I also want to to the ac to red also I just have to find some time where I can take it apart

·
Registered
957 Posts
I also want to to the ac to red also I just have to find some time where I can take it apart

Ok so i had a bit of time to waste tonight so i pulled apart the AC control and heated seats modules...

The bad news: The led's behind both modules are soldered directly to the circuit boards. no way of replacing them.

The good news: The front facing buttons (both modules) are basically just white plastic on the insides, much like you saw on the inside of shift indicators, that allow the light to pass through. they are easily removed by separating the tabs holding them in place. If you where to spray some color on the backside of these switches you should be able to make them red, blue or whatever. The only concern would be how much light is able to pass through once you've painted them. I think if you do a very light coat of color you should still get a decent amount of illumination.
Im probably going to test this out on the heated seat switches this weekend. if it doesn't look quite right its not really a big deal...after all here in Florida i dont have to use them much anyway lol!

Cheers man, thanks for the write up on the shift indicators. Thats going to look flipping sweet on my ride. I'll post some pics after i tear her up this weekend

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok so i had a bit of time to waste tonight so i pulled apart the AC control and heated seats modules...

The bad news: The led's behind both modules are soldered directly to the circuit boards. no way of replacing them.

The good news: The front facing buttons (both modules) are basically just white plastic on the insides, much like you saw on the inside of shift indicators, that allow the light to pass through. they are easily removed by separating the tabs holding them in place. If you where to spray some color on the backside of these switches you should be able to make them red, blue or whatever. The only concern would be how much light is able to pass through once you've painted them. I think if you do a very light coat of color you should still get a decent amount of illumination.
Im probably going to test this out on the heated seat switches this weekend. if it doesn't look quite right its not really a big deal...after all here in Florida i dont have to use them much anyway lol!

Cheers man, thanks for the write up on the shift indicators. Thats going to look flipping sweet on my ride. I'll post some pics after i tear her up this weekend
Thanks! I've heard of a few modding the circuit board led ones but for now I'm going to leave them alone lol. Instead of paint try something like a colored cellophane its basically colored plastic wrap. Good luck with it and let me know how yours turns out

·
Registered
876 Posts
SWEET! Please post up some images when you can. My short-list has "all red interior lights" at the top and I've been wondering about those dials for a while now. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thanks! I've heard of a few modding the circuit board led ones but for now I'm going to leave them alone lol. Instead of paint try something like a colored cellophane its basically colored plastic wrap. Good luck with it and let me know how yours turns out

The led chip and circuit boards are so small you would really have a hard time swapping them out. I think you could probably disable the led and then pass a wire and led through the switch for your own light source. you'd have to drill a little hole for the wires to pass through but it seems doable

Thats how small the led/circuit board is for the seat heater switch. Camera couldn't even get a good picture of it its so small

1 - 20 of 29 Posts