Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 2017 Dodge Challenger R/T with manual transmission. I have searched this forum as well as the internet regarding the following issue but I cannot find an answer. When I am aggressively going through the gears, the transmission seems to flip into neutral at high rpm but the engine maintains its high rpm. The transmission is still in gear. I know that rpm limits can be set on a Challenger. I thought the Challenger would restrict gas into the motor if the rpm limits were exceeded. Like I said, the motor maintains a high rpm. The car drives nicely under normal conditions and this issue only occurs when I punch it. Any information would be helpful and I apologize if this topic is covered under a different title.

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
It sounds like you're describing it bouncing off the rev-limiter...if so, the behavior is "expected', if not unpleasant.

You can change the RPM at which the rev-limiter is set, but the behavior will remain and occur at the newly set RPM. At least that's how I understand it work. If I'm incorrect, hopefully someone will chime in and correct me.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I know that rpm limits can be set on a Challenger.
yes there are tuners who can/will do this, however this is really ill advised.
Dodge set the RPM limits & revlimiter protection for very good reason, in doing so, they provided a slight cushion built in, in the unlikely event of an over-rev situation. tuners that raise/manipulate the RPM, are exploiting that cushion, but its you that will be picking up parts off the road. Be happy there is a rev limiter.

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
While more RPMs will usually equal more HP at any given point in a gear, there is a school of thought that more is not necessarily better when it comes to the 5.7L operating at the upper limits of any given gear. I forget the exact numbers, but to paraphrase, the argument is that pushing a stock 5.7L past the factory configured redline can be done, but doing it would not reduce ETs or yield anything beneficial in terms of power output/acceleration down the road.

As I recall, the 5.7L (with stock cam, etc.) hits its max torque output/HP at well below the redline (5800 RPM?). So while it doesn't hit the redline/rev limiter until somewhere in the low 6000s, it's power output is falling off by that point, and thus pushing it even further toward 7000 RPM before shifting gears would only mean further reducing the relative power output with respects to how much you could be putting out (if the gear had been shifted and the engine were in a higher gear and back into its power band).

I don't know, I don't engage in timed contests of speed like drag racing or anything, so the minutia of this argument didn't interest me enough to further investigate how true it might be. Nevertheless, it certainly sounds plausible enough that I"d want to know about it if I were trying to squeeze out some extra tenths of a second every other weekend at the track...

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
I recently purchased a used 2017 Dodge Challenger R/T with manual transmission. I have searched this forum as well as the internet regarding the following issue but I cannot find an answer. When I am aggressively going through the gears, the transmission seems to flip into neutral at high rpm but the engine maintains its high rpm. The transmission is still in gear. I know that rpm limits can be set on a Challenger. I thought the Challenger would restrict gas into the motor if the rpm limits were exceeded. Like I said, the motor maintains a high rpm. The car drives nicely under normal conditions and this issue only occurs when I punch it. Any information would be helpful and I apologize if this topic is covered under a different title.
Hi Mr_Redlegs,
I do apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your Challenger R/T. If you are not able to remedy this concern with the advice provided here, I kindly recommend connecting with your local Jeep dealer. If you are in need of any assistance with that process, our team is available via private message.
Rob
DodgeCares

1 - 7 of 7 Posts