Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

Maybe I'm an idiot (scientifically proven to be a true, undeniable fact), but my shift lock does nothing.

I tried doing this and my car simply does not get out of park.

Any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Does it not get your trans out of Park, or the shifter? In other words, did you try moving the car after pulling the hidden lever, or try pulling the shifter out of Park?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,637 Posts
Put it in park, pull that little release under the console bezel, get out and push the car. It disengages the Trans.

·
Registered
15,851 Posts
There's an unlock tab that you have to move over or you can break it.

Check the owner's manual as it spells out the exact procedure.

Also make sure your parking brake is set cause it roll roll once you pull it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it not get your trans out of Park, or the shifter? In other words, did you try moving the car after pulling the hidden lever, or try pulling the shifter out of Park?
No, neither the car nor the shifter will move.

Put it in park, pull that little release under the console bezel, get out and push the car. It disengages the Trans.
Negative, the car will not move if pushed.

There's an unlock tab that you have to move over or you can break it.

Check the owner's manual as it spells out the exact procedure.

Also make sure your parking brake is set cause it roll roll once you pull it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Got it, page 176. I should have known better than to trust a random video. :domotwak:

I'll follow the procedure in the manual and see if that works.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see what the issue is.

It seems this piece is no longer attached where it should be, but good news is that is seems like it should just slot into place. Bad news is I have gorilla hands and need to figure out how to remove the center console if I wish to fix it.

I noticed in both the manual and some videos, that the red pull tab was tucked under the center console and not loose above the lever, like how I found it. Some troglodyte at either the dealer or the bodyshop must have used it and yanked on it with such force that they also broke the metal tab that holds the lever down.

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
shifter

Interesting. See I do need a owners manual, 'Printed' ! :nerd: "Got it, page 176. I should have known better than to trust a random video. "

We're going to need it after the balloon goes up, anyhow. There won't be no 'Al0Gore information highway' .
I'm calling FCA Monday.

Cool glad you found it and posted a good pic,
Thanks !

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. See I do need a owners manual, 'Printed' ! :nerd: "Got it, page 176. I should have known better than to trust a random video. "

We're going to need it after the balloon goes up, anyhow. There won't be no 'Al0Gore information highway' .
I'm calling FCA Monday.

Cool glad you found it and posted a good pic,
Thanks !

I was under the impression that maybe the e-brake being applied along with the foot brake was the key to unlocking it, but that gave me the same result as before, nada.

I was also confused as to what tab it was referencing that I should move out of the way, only to find that it was missing and where it would be attached is clearly broken.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,273 Posts
The online chilton manual has a better description and image of the manual park release than the owner's manual.

Attachments

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The online chilton manual has a better description and image of the manual park release than the owner's manual.

Thanks.

So I was right, once I put the black plastic housing behind the bracket that should be holding it, and THEN pulled the lever, the car went into neutral.

I need a good light, a couple of pliers, and some patience so I can put the plastic housing back into place with some good ol' surgical precision.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Wonder how many times you can do this before it gets sloppy? or worse, won't re-lock down in the park position, or worse yet break!..I would use it all the time for detailing purposes but obviously it seems to be for emergency use only...if anyone uses this regularly please chime in

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wonder how many times you can do this before it gets sloppy? or worse, won't re-lock down in the park position, or worse yet break!..I would use it all the time for detailing purposes but obviously it seems to be for emergency use only...if anyone uses this regularly please chime in
Why would it get sloppy?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts

Why would it get sloppy?
My question exactly, IDK just looks spindly, the red pull can break, the pivot points wear out, the clips no longer hold and on and on...all I want to do is put it in neutral without the startup drama and move it a few inches, why all the garbage safety crap tacked on...I have a ‘19 Lexus and you can put it in and out of neutral without touching the brake gezz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts