Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I recently purchased a Stinger Yellow 2012 R/T Classic 6spd. I honestly love this car. I've been waiting since 2008. This is my first manual car. I learned the basics from an uncle and had some practice(5, hour and half sessions) in his GTi turbo over the course of a month before receiving the challenger. When just cruising I usually shift around 1800-2000 RPMs.

What I'm having trouble with is when I want to take off from a stop, like a 0-60. What are the best points to shift at?
Again this is my FIRST stick and though practice makes perfect a good coach molds champions. If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you're trying to get the best 0-60 time possible, you want to wring it out and shift near redline. Shifts take time and the longer you are in gear the faster you will get to 60.

·
Premium Member
10,927 Posts
If you're as new to owning a manual trans as you say, don't be trying to do anything like this until driving a stick is second nature. Moves like cranking it to redline and power shifting can get you killed or kill your new car at a minimum.
I saw a Z-28 with 26 miles on it, torn in three pieces. Somehow the driver was standing next to the car with only a minor cut on his elbow. He thought he was speed racer and he learned the hard way.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
Seems most people are getting the best times when they shift around 5000 RPM, not redline (5800).

Best advice I can give is just practice and get a feel for the car, worry about the specifics later. :)

Reactions: ViP3R

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree with above. You have to find the sweet spot to keep your car producing the most power. Going to redline will probably take you beyond.

It kinda sounds like you're trying to run when you should still be crawling though. Get used to your car. This transmission can be tough to master. Get it down before trying to get the most out of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.