Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
SRT-8
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a little frustrated with my stock shifter in my 2009 SRT 6-speed. Feels very "clunky" at times (if that makes sense).

I was considering upgrading to a Hurst or Mopar short-throw shifter.

For those of you out there who have upgraded, can you tell me:
- How much improvement you saw vs. stock?

- Which one offers the most value for the money?

- Rough idea of cost?

- How difficult or easy the installation is?

Thanks for your help with this "big decision"!

Regards,
John

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
925 Posts
I am wondering the same thing. What do you mean by Larry mod? I have seen lots of short throw shifters, but they seem to be just the short rod that the handle mounts too. But I have also seen what seems to be an entire kit that replaces more components of the shifter. Any more detailed advice would be appreciated by me and I am sure the OP of this topic. Thanks in advance guys.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
275 Posts
Save yourself some time and worry by getting a Hurst with a Larry mod and be done with it.
I agree with the above post! I've ordered the replacement rod from Larry to install in my own Hurst Shifter, however you can go to gandkperformance.com and buy the hurst shifter with the modified rod installed for $569.

I first only installed the short shifter arm only into the stock linkage, it was a nicer feel but didn't change anything to the actual shifting. After installing the Hurst linkage and shifter arm it was a huge difference, much firmer and shorter shifts.

It isn't very difficult to do if you have basic knowledge of working on cars, there are some helpful youtube videos out there to guide you if needed. You might want to change out the fluid too if you haven't done so yet, depending on your mileage that could be a culprit in the clunky feeling shifting as well?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts