Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is the exploded 4-speed auto shift for the SE. i will be fabricating another Hurst Shifter assembly. yeah, i know hurst now makes a sleeve kit, but not for the 4-speed trans. i built the first one 4 years ago. and now hurst makes a kit just like the one i fabricated, right down to the emblem on the top plate. the only difference is mine was not a sleeve, but a whole hurst shaft.

anyways, here it goes from stock ---> hurst

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay, the Hurst shaft is finished and installed into the shifter housing. the top shift gate plate was opened up to clear the fatter hurst shaft. next i will fabricate a bright aluminum trim ring to go inside the gate. it will look more like the chrome trim that the 5-speed shifters have. these crappy 4-speed shifters have no trim at all around the inside of the shift gate.

i couldn't take that pencil like shaft and urethane shift knob anymore. i will post more pictures after i fab the trim ring and install everthing back in the car. this weekend for sure.

anyways, here's a few pics of the work in progress.

·
Registered
495 Posts
That looks really good. Did you pick up salvaged parts to start with or did you take apart your Challenger? In any event it is certainly a great improvement over the wimpy stock set up.

This is a true old fashion custom hot rod project. I have to see what you fabricate in order to determine if my machining skills are up to it. I really like what you have done.

BTW: I am running the Vortech supercharger now. We went through 6 hours on the dyno tuning last Saturday. Very interesting project. I'll start a thread later.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
How did you attach the shaft to the housing? I really want to do this mod. This would look great with the Hurst T-Shifter.

okay, the Hurst shaft is finished and installed into the shifter housing. the top shift gate plate was opened up to clear the fatter hurst shaft. next i will fabricate a bright aluminum trim ring to go inside the gate. it will look more like the chrome trim that the 5-speed shifters have. these crappy 4-speed shifters have no trim at all around the inside of the shift gate.

i couldn't take that pencil like shaft and urethane shift knob anymore. i will post more pictures after i fab the trim ring and install everthing back in the car. this weekend for sure.

anyways, here's a few pics of the work in progress.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is how i modified the stock shaft into a Hurst shaft. i first cut off the stock shaft to 1 1/2". then i cut the Hurst 8" shaft 5/8" past the Hurst logo. then i drilled a hole (can't remember the drill wire gauge #) 7/8" deep into the cut end. the drill bit gauge number is the same size as the stock shaft. then align the Hurst shaft up and press in onto the stub of the stocker. that is enough to hold everything if you had the correct wire gauge drill bit. but i also tig welded it to be sure. then bevel the end of the hurst shaft to clear the lower gate when in moved forward and backwards.

when done, there will be 3/4" of the stock shaft left. i kept this so i didn't have to remake the lower teflon shift control gate you see in the earlier pictures. the upper shift gate needs to be opened up and clearanced for the fatter Hurst shaft.

·
Registered
495 Posts
here is how i modified the stock shaft into a Hurst shaft. i first cut off the stock shaft to 1 1/2". then i cut the Hurst 8" shaft 5/8" past the Hurst logo. then i drilled a hole (can't remember the drill wire gauge #) 7/8" deep into the cut end. the drill bit gauge number is the same size as the stock shaft. ....................
S/S did you use a lathe chuck/collet on the threaded round end of the Hurst shift to get the hole in the other end or some other means? I have a Miller TIG welder, but was there something about the two metals that required TIG?
As always you are on tops with creative ideas. Cool! We really have got to get together sometime.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i just chucked the shaft in a lathe to drill the hole. i used a tig welder to keep the weld very small. i'm sure you could use any type of welder (mig, gas, or stick). i had a real tight fit, so welding wasn't nessesary, but i just wanted a guarantee that the shaft wouldn't turn out of alignment.

i just installed the shifter assembly in the car. it is complete now except for the "H" logo i will add to the top plate. for the shift ball, i used a black 1 7/8" Hurst ball. it has the hurst logo on the sides and the 6-speed pattern on the top. i sanded down and buffed the 6-speed pattern off the ball.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That looks really good. Did you pick up salvaged parts to start with or did you take apart your Challenger? In any event it is certainly a great improvement over the wimpy stock set up.

This is a true old fashion custom hot rod project. I have to see what you fabricate in order to determine if my machining skills are up to it. I really like what you have done.

BTW: I am running the Vortech supercharger now. We went through 6 hours on the dyno tuning last Saturday. Very interesting project. I'll start a thread later.

Im curious about the HP gain with the Supercharger..And how much Was the cost???

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here is a quick picture of the Hurst shifter for the SE's 4-speed auto. i made the shifter about 5/8" taller than the stocker. i did this to keep the Hurst logo visible on the shaft. not sure i like the extra height. i am already thinking of cutting down.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Here is a quick picture of the Hurst shifter for the SE's 4-speed auto. i made the shifter about 5/8" taller than the stocker. i did this to keep the Hurst logo visible on the shaft. not sure i like the extra height. i am already thinking of cutting down.
What Hurst shifter rod did you use S/S? There are a lot of them out there.

·
Registered
797 Posts
how hard was it to put all the stuff on your steering wheel. did you have to get a new harness. i would like to do this if you have a diy on hand.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how hard was it to put all the stuff on your steering wheel. did you have to get a new harness. i would like to do this if you have a diy on hand.

i'm still in the experimental stage with the steering wheel remote switches. i will do a write-up on this mod if i am successful. yes, you need a different harness.

many have tried this mod for years now. there is a 100% failure rate so far.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i am going to have to say you are a craftsman. that to me looks awesome. i would not be able to do something like that but would sure like that in my car. great job.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts